Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2001, 11:32 AM
Spikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys and gals

I'm after some advice and information. I have read a few times on this BBS about petrol additives that increase the octane rating of unleaded fuel. The only problem is where can I order them from and which is the best one? Basically I'm sick of paying the big difference between SUL and UL and it would appear to be a cost saving by using an octane booster with UL.

Thanks fellow Scooby people!

Ray
Old 22 January 2001, 11:43 AM
Simon R
Scooby Regular

Try either Auto Technica on 01924 494884 or Scoobymania on 0115 9133199

They both Millers Octane booster which IMHO is the best since it's in handy small bottles and you can get at least 3-4 in your glovebox (make sure you get the cat safe stuff!!!)

You'll get it cheaper if you buy them in bulk (x10)

Simon
Old 22 January 2001, 11:57 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Ray,

Run it on SUL and booster for maximum fun !
Andy P
Old 22 January 2001, 01:18 PM
AMBER-PERFORMANCE
Scooby Regular

Talking

We are also in the process of signing up as an official distributor of the full Miller range. We were impressed with the range and the technical backup they offer. We will be offering both the cat-safe and 'track day' product at competitive rates. We will keep you informed

regards

sales team
01582 572500
Old 22 January 2001, 01:32 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Question

Guys,

Can I use this stuff in my Catalunya MY97 I have done ProdrivePP to it and I currently run the car on UL.

Your answers would be appreciated

TC
Old 22 January 2001, 01:59 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Millers is POOO! Proved in Independant Tests that it only increased Octane by 0.5 MAX unlike they say 2-3 points. On Scooby engines Millers isn't that good, try something else I would say.
Old 22 January 2001, 02:25 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

LIKE???????

You could atlest tell us an alternative.

I would also love to know who did these tests. Loads of people on this site including myself use Millers and are impressed by it.
Old 22 January 2001, 02:31 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Question

Harj,

Last week I spoken to a millers agent and he is going to source some technical info for me. He was very interested about these independant test and how they were done.

Have you any more info on these tests, who did them or how etc.

Not connected with Millers myself just interested.

Lee
Old 22 January 2001, 02:39 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I use Millers Octane+ since moving from ProBoost and actually think it's better.
I get it from ARE in Farnham and it cost £30 delivered, for 10 bottles.
1 bottle does 50 litres so it's considerably cheaper than ProBoost.

Neil.
Old 22 January 2001, 02:41 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Sure lads, I have a couple of Magazine articles from Australia where they tested loads of different Octane Boosters adn Millers was near the bottom. These tests were conducted on a Octane Combustion Chamber which accurately calcualtes the level to a 1/1000 decimal from what i can remember.

Alternatives I don't know as I don't use Octane Booster, I have felt the difference of Millers but yet again I have not if you know what I mean. I do know that alot of people use Millers but is there any factual information that it is worth it??? I will scan these tests so all can see the comparitives, for myself I have ordered some weird Australian Octane Booster of which I can't remember what its called as it was a month ago but I plan to use it only for track.

Harj...
Old 22 January 2001, 02:53 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by harj:
<B>Millers is POOO! Proved in Independant Tests that it only increased Octane by 0.5 MAX unlike they say 2-3 points. On Scooby engines Millers isn't that good, try something else I would say.[/quote]

Hmm..conclusive evidence from Harj.
Perhaps rewording may be wiser, to something like 'I found, through my own personal experience, that Silkolene was better'.

I actually have heard that with Millers, you are less likely to det.

I use millers. Silkolene bottles are a pain in the **** too.
Cem
Old 22 January 2001, 03:10 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Cem,

Quick question if you have time...

You have an Evo 6 TME right? I picked up my GSR on Saturday (still running in), but I'm already finding the small fuel tank and scarcity of SUL a bit of a pain. Do you use the Millers Octane Booster only when you can't get SUL, or do you find you get extra ooomph with SUL+Millers? And how much do you put in in each case?

Cheers,

Gary.
Old 22 January 2001, 04:45 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hey Gary
I always run MINIMUM SUL. When I was first running my car in however, I never used octane, but always SUL. Now, I put octane+SUL almost all the time. Its not imperative though and not solely for the increase in performance (I was overboosting with Octane at one point), I run octane because it is also kinder to the engine and I run even less risk of det, don't forget that these cars are mapped for 100RON.

Having said that, I was told that running one tankful with and one without was pointless and that it needed to be consistent. IE, before a trackday, use at least 2 tankfulls with octane in it.

Cem
Old 22 January 2001, 08:16 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I stopped using Millers 3 tankfulls of SU ago to see if I would notice a difference.

Performance wise non at all, in fact it seemed slightly better but I did have a service day before I stopped, maybe they reset the ecu.

The car, however, does not feel as smooth at all. So I may go back to using it. I may try normal unleaded with Millers just in case it is something in the Millers which is not in the fuel that makes it run smoother.

Scotty.
Old 22 January 2001, 08:21 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Cem, 20 bottles of Millers now ordered from Scoobymania.

Gary.
Old 22 January 2001, 09:07 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Good luck, I am still waiting for my 4 boxes!

Cem
Old 23 January 2001, 12:57 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Thanks for your comments Jason.

No doubt when you've done the leg work that I already have to be an official Millers supplier it will all make sense to you.

I spent hours talking to the technical manager for Millers Oils, about many different parameters of the fuel additives and what you see on my
Old 23 January 2001, 12:58 AM
Spikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the feedback guys .........

.... so is Millers the only product on the market that I can get hold of easily? Where can the Silkolene product be purchased?

Ray
Old 23 January 2001, 08:02 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Not suprising is it that most engines that go BANG run on Millers
Old 23 January 2001, 09:30 AM
Simon R
Scooby Regular

OK Harj, what's this australian stuff called then? Where did you order it from?

Surely it's against the trading standards to advertise a product as increasing the RON by 2-3 points when in scientific tests it doesn't?

For me, the silkolene was just too bulky, wouldn't fit too many of those tin cans in my glovebox

Must admit though, I couldn't help but wonder why there was such a VAST difference, both in price and in size (quantity) between the Silkolene and the Millers

I'd be very interested to read the article you are quoting. Do you have scanned articles of the magazine articles by any chance?

Simon
Old 23 January 2001, 10:27 AM
AMBER-PERFORMANCE
Scooby Regular

OK, lets clarify a few points here.
Who said that Millers Octane booster increases the octane by 2-3 RON, i dont think Millers did. It seems that a number of things get taken out of context on these BB's which can be misleading although it is inevitable that it will happen.
Miller's do two products that will increase the RON rating of fuel it is added to.
They are: OCTANE PLUS
For a catalyst equipped vehicle this should be added at the rate of one bottles contents to 50litres of unleaded fuel(premium or super). If the vehicle does not have a cat then the concentration can safely be increased to one bottle for 25 litres of unleaded.Millers would expect a typical increase in the octane rating of 1.6
COMPETITION VALVE LUBRICANT
This product has yet to be proven on a catalysed engine over the long term and as such Millers do not recommend long term use of this product if the car has a cat. The odd track day is what they expect people to use this lubricant for. It is designed for competition engine use (mainly older engines) so that they can run on unleaded fuel. This product would typically enhance the RON rating by 2.5 - 3, one bottle of this to 20 litres by the way.

These are the two products that you should consider for use in the Impreza range but as you can see the products are designed for two very different purposes so dependant on the type of unleaded you can obtain (premium or super) and what you are using the car for on a paricular tankful may have a bearing on which one of the two products is more suitable.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

sales team
01582 572500

By the way we do not currently sell these products (although we will shortly) , this is just our view based on obtaining relevant product information and speaking to the product manufacturer.
Thank you
Old 23 January 2001, 10:40 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Harj,

Can you substantiate your statement that "most engines that go BANG run on Millers"? If not, then it's a bit irresponsible to post such replies, as it sows the seeds of doubt in peoples minds, and may stop them from buying an otherwise good product.

Gary.
Old 23 January 2001, 10:44 AM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Oooh Harj!

I clearly remember the esteemed Mr Felstead praising Millers very highly on here late last year.

That's good enough for me

Paul
Old 23 January 2001, 11:05 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AMBER-PERFORMANCE:
<B>Who said that Millers Octane booster increases the octane by 2-3 RON, i dont think Millers did.[/quote]

No, but it says it here:
Old 23 January 2001, 11:21 AM
AMBER-PERFORMANCE
Scooby Regular

Nice one Andy!

Shame they did not use the more exact figures that are in Millers Data sheets. In fact they do not even claim a figure on the Data sheet for the CVL but on speaking to them they do say about 2.5 - 3

cheers

jason
Old 23 January 2001, 01:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I havnt seen any other octane booster except millers, i have to agree that its the best shaped bottle ive seen (goes nicely into the neck of the tank with no problems or spillage) as for engines going bang, ive not heard that one before?? if anything my engine feels smoother when ive put it in

Tony
Old 23 January 2001, 01:10 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mike Tuckwood:
<B>Thanks for your comments Andy.

No doubt when you've done the leg work that I already have to be an official Millers supplier it will all make sense to you.
[/quote]

Mike,

I'm not sure what you mean!!! I have no comment to make about octane boosters one way or the other. If I was going to use it, I too would use Millers (Probably bought from you)

I only commented on where people got the figures from. I didn't comment on them being right or wrong, just what was there!!

Have I read too much into your comment or not???

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Tang (edited 23 January 2001).]
Old 23 January 2001, 01:30 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Andy, my most sincere apologies, No you are not wrong. I inadvertantly typed 'Andy' when I should have typed 'Jason'.

Mike.

Previous post now edited.
Old 23 January 2001, 01:32 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mike.... phew..... I thought there was going to be a punch up!!!
Old 23 January 2001, 01:44 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

OK Ladies I will scan these test results tomorrow when I dig out the articles, they are fairly recent that a good friend gave me these magazines.

Seems that Millers leaves an Orange residue of powder like dust within your engine and turbo, doesn't look healthy even though some say it is. I went to the Turbo Shop with JohnF when he was replacing his blown turbo and these guys were miffed with the residue????

We knew that the Orange residue didn't cause the turbo to fail but imagine that the same stuff is inside your engine! Which it is.

Quick Reply: Octane Booster