Sponsored by:

Arrgghh, need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2008, 04:58 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrgghh, need help please!

This thread is related to this one https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...uspension.html, thanks very much for your responses, all very helpful indeed, but now I have another problem.

Does anyone have any tips for undoing the bottom bolt on the rear strut?

I managed to change out the springs on the front this morning without too much bother, bolts were kinda rusty and tight but got there in the end, happy days. Went to do the rear ones and hit a brick wall. I have (on each side) managed to loosen the uppermost bottom bolts but try as I might I cannot for the life of me get the very bottom ones to budge even the slightest. I have used a 2 1/2 ft torque bar and still nothing. One of the problems being that you can't get a socket onto the nut cos the rear driveshaft is in the way so you gotta hold a spanner on it and use the socket on the bolt, not ideal. Can't use heat cos I'll melt the driveshaft gator.

I've soaked them in WD40 the try and ease them but no luck. So all that is stopping me now from finishing the job is one bolt on either side. Did any one else have this problem and if so, how did you get round it? I'm off to a garage to see if they can help me tomorrow but your responses will be hugely welcome.

Thanks, Jonny.
Old 04 October 2008, 05:36 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

me 2 options good ring spanner on it (yes you can squeeze one in just)

And shock it with a 4lb hammer or get a nut splitter on it.
Hope this help just time really and you will get there keep soaking ti tho greig.
Old 04 October 2008, 06:05 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Cheers, didn't think of a nut splitter, that would be a last resort I think. I had a spanner on it and was hitting it with a hammer but it wasn't a 4lb one. Will try that one tomorrow.
Old 04 October 2008, 06:20 PM
mattwrxCS
Scooby Regular

Any way you can borrow an impact gun? I buzzed mine off no problem. Ring spanner on the nut and impact socket on the bolt.
Old 04 October 2008, 06:33 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

use a combi spanner with ring end on the nut and then put another combi spanner ring end on the open jaw end of the first spanner. Doubles the length of spanner so more leverage
Old 04 October 2008, 06:57 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Both above very good ideas also. The mechanic I'm going to see tomorrow reckoned that if the 2 1/2 ft bar I used today didnt shift the bolt, an air impact wrench would touch it either. Its worth having a try though. I've used the two spanner idea in the past but same again really, if my bar didn't shift it . . . .

What side did you work from? Did you undo the bolt or the nut? As mentioned about the driveshaft. There's always something thats awkward eh

Hopefully it will just take time and all of a sudden it will crack. Going to also try a hex socket, was using an 12 (I think) sided one today.