Sponsored by:

Big thanks to Powerstation

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2002, 09:55 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Modderators, please move to 'suspension' if you wish. Though I'd post it here as it's a thanks to Powerstation and I want everyone to know how good I think they are

As some of you may know, I popped up to Powerstation on Saturday morning to get my tracking sorted out, plus though I'd get the bumpsteer mod done at the same time. Well suffice to say this was done, plus I decided to have the anti-lift kit fitted as well.

What can I say! amazing difference, the car now corners better than it ever did. I'm more that impressed.

So, bigger than big thanks to Richard, and Nick (for doing all the work!) at Powerstation for giving me what seems to be a totally different car. amazing.

I'm now enjoying driving, even on motorways, much, much more than I ever did before.

Thanks!
Old 11 February 2002, 01:31 PM
Subzero
Scooby Regular

Question

Markus,

There have been many good reports about this mod, but none for a while now. It seems like a good mod to go for but there are a few questions I need answering first, perhaps you or someone else can help?

1.Will the tyres wear differently/more?
2.Will it oversteer more with the same level of lock?
3.If it does oversteer, can you control it as weel as before the mod?
4.Probably too early to tell yet, but is it 'better' because it feels different (like new shoes) or does it really turn in better.
5.Will the mod make it more twitchy - in the wet or dry?
6.Some people have had dramatic improvements from getting the std alignment done from their dealers, did you have this done before the PS visit?

Sorry for all the q's.
Thanks
Floyd
Old 11 February 2002, 02:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No probs about the questions, here's the answers that I can give

not sure, but I certainly won't get the servere tyre wear I was getting which was due to the toe-in on the front being way out.

no idea, sorry

no idea

4.Probably too early to tell yet, but is it 'better' because it feels different (like new shoes) or does it really turn in better.
Not too early to tell, it really does turn in better, put it this way, I know where the car would skip about and do silly things when not pushed at all hard, tried the same things in same places and the car just turns in and handles way better, I've not tried pushing it too hard, simply because as it's now so well setup I'd probably get myself into real trouble trying to 'break' it.

not too sure, think it makes it less twitchy, certainly on the damp roads I've played on it seems very well composed. Motorway crusing is a dream.

6.Some people have had dramatic improvements from getting the std alignment done from their dealers, did you have this done before the PS visit?
nope, but that's because the car is a jap import and the dealer won't touch it. It's possible that your dealer adjusting the settings could have just as dramatic effect, but they won't do bumpsteer or ant-lift which could be most of the effect I'm seeing, just can't really tell as I had all of them done at the same time.

To be honest, what I'd suggest is emailing/phoning powerstation and talking to the chaps thier, they know thier stuff, and scoobs, and thus can give way better answers than I can.
Old 11 February 2002, 02:20 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

And the cost ?
Old 11 February 2002, 02:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

cost was, £348.13

That was for

bumpsteer, 4 wheel alignment, anti-lift kit, camber bolt, labour, and the dreaded VAT.
Old 11 February 2002, 02:33 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had the bump stear done mid last year.

TOP MOD

Ian
Terzo 33
Old 12 February 2002, 09:31 AM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Wink

It was a massive improvement on some ropey 22B I had a while back

Iain
Old 12 February 2002, 10:35 PM
David1965
Scooby Regular

Had the same done about 1k a go. Top job from a top team.
Old 13 February 2002, 06:44 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same mod done to my MY00. Bump steer, Anti-lift, Stiffer rear anti-roll bar, Eibach springs and alignment at Powerstation.

I've just had a set of tyres changed after 18K miles with the mods so yes they wear differently...better !
The mods I have had done dramatically reduce the amount of understeer but I've not noticed a tendency to oversteer, but then my other car is a Porsche 944 Turbo so I'm kinda used to it.
Not a problem.
It really turns in better. You turn at the corner rather than turning before the corner..if you know what I mean...
No
No....alignment would help as the Impreza is badly set-up from the factory but would not sort all the issues with the car.

Jeff
Old 13 February 2002, 08:35 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Floyd

I ran the *Prodrive* settings for 6 weeks prior to having the mod done and TBH the improvement was bigger than the change from std settings to Prodrive...

I have had loads of stuff done to my car and it is still the best irrespective of price

DJ

[Edited by DocJock - 2/13/2002 8:36:42 AM]
Old 13 February 2002, 08:44 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

DJ, you were going to see Nick IIRC right ?

Could you ask if there is any truth to wagons being slightly better setup as standard in the bumpsteer department. I thought I heard something like this long time ago, but I'm now wondering if my mind is playing tricks (again )

Agree with Jeff on most points BTW. The car doesn't get "oversteery", it tends to get more neutral, and have more direct turn in.

It *may*, but this is debatable, make lift off oversteer a bit more violent, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway (unless on purpose). Mind you, this last bit is just theory, I never noticed it at all (not even whilst doing some real strange antics at Bruntingthorpe airfield).
Old 13 February 2002, 08:51 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

EB,
Well, Nick said that the bumpsteer on my wagon was 'very big' thus the mod would make a big change. But then the toe-in, camber and tracking was all over the place, totally screwed up.
Old 13 February 2002, 08:59 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Markus, so much for my memory then

Ovbiously, the more things are out to start with, the more you'll feel the difference. But even with a reasonably well setup car to start with, the change in steering if very big. (my car was OK-ish in the settings department when the bump steer mod was done)

Old 13 February 2002, 09:02 AM
Beau
Scooby Regular

Had my MY99 UK wagon done last week at Powerstation. 4-Wheel + Anti-lift + Bumpsteer. The Bumpsteer was very bad and required the largest shims Powerstation would use. The improvement has been fantastic. Many thanks to Dirk.
Old 13 February 2002, 09:08 AM
NBS
Scooby Regular

Had mine done 3,000 miles ago. Dramatic difference.
Only problem is I now keep hitting all those drain covers that are always found on the apex of corners instead of understeering past them!

NBS
Old 13 February 2002, 11:06 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ NBS

Ian
Old 13 February 2002, 11:15 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

double lol @ NBS,
know what you mean mate, I have a bigger grin now then when I got the car. It's amazing what a little work like this can do.

Really want to get it on track and play and see it near the limit.

oh, mate of mine said that bumpsteer makes the car a little more tail happy, which they reckon is good thing as you can slide it better. Any truth to this? not trying to diss PS's work, just something I heard, if it means I can easilly slide and control the car, cool. I've given it a bit of greif (bad day yesterday ) and not provoked any slides yet, it just bloody acts like a car on rails! amazing!
Old 13 February 2002, 11:22 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'd have to something very silly to get the back out....I did achieve a complete 360 at Brands in the wet...I was being a little too aggressive with the kerbs !
Old 13 February 2002, 11:51 AM
sempers
Scooby Regular

How much is bumpsteer, how much is anti-lift (in the handling equation)? Any comment?

I understand the bumpsteer, but not how the anti lift works...

- Mark.