High prices for privately owned used Imprezas

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2002, 10:11 AM
BenScoobWannabe
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi All,

Ive been looking in the autotrader for last few weeks at Impreza Turbos and have noticed that a lot of people selling private seem to be asking stupidly high prices. Ive seen cars for sale at my local main dealer for roughly the same prices that people want private. Whats going on?

Thanks

Ben
Old 10 February 2002, 10:11 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Look in the for sale section in scoobynet, some real world bargains!
Old 10 February 2002, 10:55 AM
CC
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ben if people are advertising their cars for a certain amount of money, then they obviously think their cars are worth it and will eventually sell at that price. Otherwise they'd be cheaper.

If you're struggling to buy a Scooby then you really should think whether it's sensible to buy one at all as they aren't cheap to run.

Experience has taught me that the old saying 'you get what you pay for' is very true in most cases.
Old 10 February 2002, 10:56 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Just because something is advertised in Autotrader at a price doesn't mean they're actually selling them at that price. I've overpriced things in AT before and had no interest whatsoever.
Old 10 February 2002, 11:23 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Wink

for sale

MY 98 Russian import , 300,000 miles, 17 owners
WR blue (at the front), red at the back
Fantastic bargain
£19,999 NO OFFERS
Old 10 February 2002, 11:23 AM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

but why shouldn't a private seller be entitled to get the dealer's mark up into their own bank account.
Old 10 February 2002, 11:39 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Ben,

Something thats worth bearing in mind here is that the private individual can (most of the time) tell u everything about the cars history. Good and bad points, whats been replaced, renewed, when, etc etc. How long u r tyres will last, wot u r mpg will average bla bla bla. Don`t get suckered into buying from dealers m8, u can privately buy the exact same warranty they can offer u
Also as has been said if prices are an issue then u r looking at the wrong car, as these things are not cheap to run.

BTW no i`m not selling mine

Pete
Old 10 February 2002, 11:43 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

pete,

private sellers lie though and you have no come back
Old 10 February 2002, 11:53 AM
Carlos The Jackel
Scooby Regular

Wink

I disagree, a high price by no means makes it a good car, it usually means someone is greedy. Look at loads and you will get a good one cheap - dont buy the first one you see just cause you want one
Old 10 February 2002, 06:37 PM
MyDreamCar
Scooby Regular

You will get what u pay for to a degree - i paid 10K for a 95WRX 6 months ago - which was "over-priced" at least on paper - but the interior was immaculate the exterior the same - 4 unmarked alloys, new tyres (Toyos), lots of extra, nice stereo, real low miles and lots of service history - a real minter - id looked at others of the same age for a couple of grand less which had dints/ scratches, marked interiors, no history, scuffed alloys - differnt tyres on all corners, shoddy UK conversions etc etc - id hope when i sell mine privately in 18 months and i put it up for more money than "average" some one like me will look at it and appreciate the difference between an OK car and a superb car. Like the other guys have said though - dont think a cheap to buy scoob will make it any less cheap to run - finance aside you should be looking at £500 a month to cover insurance, fuel and maintainance!
Phil (oh and polish too!)

Old 10 February 2002, 07:33 PM
Lust4Life
Scooby Regular

The one thing I found was that everyone expects a huge discount off whatever price you ask.

I pitched mine at £500 below Parker's 'good' price because I needed to sell it quickly, it was immaculate though.

I then got an endless procession of people offering me a grand less which was under book trade money! I think you are better off pricing high and then giving a generous discount - you get the amount you want and the other guy thinks he is getting a good deal, everyone is happy!

Cheers,

Phil