Sponsored by:

Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2008, 02:40 PM
Markl102
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking

Is it normal for a company to "test drive" a vehicle after having the tracking done?
I took the car in cold wrx 2.5, as i literally live in the next road so we are talking 700 yds at most to get it there after the car has been out for a "little spin to test it is ok" the car has come back HOT the alloys are warm the brakes are very hot and the turbo and exhaust are spitting flames! What the hell is wrong with people that they think it ok take the car out for this type of abuse?
The guy in charge said that I should have told him i didn't want it test driven before giving it to them!!!!!
These are the before and after figures, and would appreciate anyone telling me if they are at least correct now?
Left front Right front
Before -0.30 camber Now -0.029 - 0.13 Before -0.14 now
Before 2.54 Caster Now 2.54 3.07 Before 3.07 now
Before -0.09 Toe No -0.02 -0.06 Before 0.00 now

Left Rear Right rear
-1.17 camber 1.16 Now -1.01 Before Camber 1.01 now
0.07 toe 0.02 Now 0.07 Toe before 0.00 now
Old 18 September 2008, 03:23 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

surley left and right should be the same on both front and rear???
Old 18 September 2008, 03:34 PM
p12mem
Scooby Regular

if you have a print out, surely it'll have the paramiter it should fall in?
as for a test drive, i do drive certain cars to make sure it drives ok, but not a blast!
if you dont trust garages with your car, dont take it to them, or wait till it's done
Old 18 September 2008, 04:03 PM
masterbates1
Scooby Regular

I have takin my car to a few places, when their done i say finished is all good reply yes just need to take for a spin to check all is good. I just asked you and you said it all was good, so i will test it my self if its not good i will bring it back.
They just want to thrash your car, its done by lasser so should be spot on, they dont need to drive it.
Old 18 September 2008, 04:10 PM
stevenhiggster
Scooby Regular

one of the joys of having an Apexi power FC is that when your taking your car into a garage you can turn the boost right down and set the rev limit at 3k, handy when your dealing with eejits.
Old 18 September 2008, 04:17 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't have a problem with them test driving it, especially after something like a four wheel alignment just to ensure there are no wobbles / rattles, that everything is done up tight, and that it doesn't pull one way or another on the road..... however that can be done on a gentle drive not a thrash. Would certainly object to them doing that unless looking for some specific problem under hard acceleration and then I'd expect proper warm up / cool down procedures to be followed.
Old 18 September 2008, 04:49 PM
p12mem
Scooby Regular

i work in a garage that do tracking, i take offence to being called an eejat, i drive the cars to make sure there are no other problems as you drive your cars all the time and wont notice things are wrong with them as they go wrong slowly, i'm sure you boys out there think you know it all, but if you did you wouldn't need any garage services
i own a p1 and i have no need to thrash cars, unless they have a problem

Trending Topics

Old 18 September 2008, 05:01 PM
s1lko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p12mem
i work in a garage that do tracking, i take offence to being called an eejat, i drive the cars to make sure there are no other problems as you drive your cars all the time and wont notice things are wrong with them as they go wrong slowly, i'm sure you boys out there think you know it all, but if you did you wouldn't need any garage services
i own a p1 and i have no need to thrash cars, unless they have a problem
You may have jumped in at the deep end here. I dont' think the 'eejit' reference was aimed at all garages - just the minority who take liberties and give people a bad name.

In fact, if anybody should know how best to treat a car, it would be a garage. If you're one of the good ones, keep it up and vent your frustration on the 'eejits'.
Old 18 September 2008, 05:26 PM
Markl102
Scooby Newbie

I have no objection to my car being test driven but i think it is good customer relations to tell me that it will be driven and then this gives me the choice! I might also choose to sit in on the test drive to prevent the test driver coming back and saying "pulls harder than the old subaru's".
Old 18 September 2008, 06:37 PM
p12mem
Scooby Regular

it's fine, i hear it all the time, we get tard with the same brush! i even prefere the customer to take an interest in what i'm doing to there car, even to the point of watching me do my job! not just tracking, any job i do with a car
i take pride in my work but i am sure there are workers out there that dont, i must say i do keep an eye on the boys at work sometimes, just to make sure things are done correctly
Old 18 September 2008, 10:46 PM
classicandy
Scooby Newbie

Do 4 wheel alignments regularly, and to be honest take car for a short test before and after alignment.
Before - gives an all round feel for the vehicle, knocks, bangs, ppulls etc.
After - main reason to ensure driveability as expected and to ensure steering wheel spot on, despite holding still during alignment process, can still be out when on roads.
Certainly no need for a 'blast' and distance dependant upon how far nearest 100yard stretch of straight level road is
Old 19 September 2008, 08:40 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Front camber looks way off. Generally you should aim for max equal negative which is usually 1 deg 15 min each side. Looks to me that they've adjusted the toe settings and done nothing else.
Old 19 September 2008, 10:56 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly "Prodrive" settings, are they!
Caster is not adjustable, as is rear camber. Adjustable settings are: Front camber and toe, rear toe.
Don't think you're going to feel much benefit with the geometry you've now got.
RULE - NEVER leave a performance car with a garage who normally only deal with "ordinary" cars! STAY ON THE PREMISIS.

JohnD
Old 19 September 2008, 01:54 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

a small drive just to make sure everything is ok is normally done by myself but only 100 yards or so .