Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats a race?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2002, 10:18 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something thats allways puzzled me... what are you lot on about when you say you had a race on the road?

i've owned fast bikes and fast cars, there have been times when i've nailed it from lights to get ahead of someone, there are plenty of times i join a motorway slip road and have the chance to fly by slower cars- some of which may try to keep up some dont bother and some may have the edge on me and there are a few times when someone in front of me will shoot of down a country lane and i'll try and stick with them (and people have done this to me)

but is this what some people on here regard as a race- i fear, possibly, not.

people use terms that suggest they go beyind this and actualy race (try and get ahead).

hopefully im wrong and its just some poetic license with their story telling cause otherwise there are some.....er...odd people here.

Tiggs
Old 10 February 2002, 12:38 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

I raised a similar thread Tiggs a couple of weeks back (the "Am I a do-gooder?" one.)

I like to give the car some stick from time to time - even with other cars around, but I'm not into "racing".

I would define "racing" as when two or more vehicles compete for a leading position.

Not on my soapbox here, by the way, just replying to the question.

Rich

[Edited by RichS - 2/10/2002 2:07:43 AM]
Old 10 February 2002, 12:42 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tiggs - a race is when you feel embarassed by my superior skill in a simialr piece of kit. Usually called BTCC
Old 10 February 2002, 01:39 AM
jay-j
Scooby Regular

is it time for your medication, or mine?
Old 10 February 2002, 05:14 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey no do-gooders on this thread Mr S

Racing on roads is stupid. (another do-gooder )

I think a lot of the time people use that term without actually meaning to race someone.
Old 10 February 2002, 11:55 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gotta admit it i`m with chelle here.
Racing on public roads is for fools, especially in built up areas.
Don`t lower u r self to it, let the **** sitting reving at the lights kid themself on, we know better
Doesn`t the term "race" define when the BB cap is turned 180 degrees and the loud peddle is hammered (in some cases)

Pete
Old 10 February 2002, 12:07 PM
bored
Scooby Regular

If it was a race would'nt both (or all) drivers have to agree a start and finish point . I have "seen" street races in the states and they are organised start and finish points with starters and even in some cases a chequered flag.

So if you race on the street say away from a set of traffic lights and beat the other car were does the race end if you slow down and he passes you did he win or did you ?

I'll get my mac
Old 10 February 2002, 02:10 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

I raised this point in the do gooder thread. There is a difference between racing and two people enjoying an enthusiastic drive. Okay it is still illegal in the eyes of the law, but there is a distinction which I think needs making. For example, I can honestly say that I have never raced on the road. enthusiastic driving, is another matter
astraboy.
Old 02 October 2002, 12:53 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure on the legal definition of a race, but given the fact that the DVLA advise that motoring offence MS50 "Motor racing on the highway" carries a penalty of between 3-11 points, and you would probably be prosecuted for speeding AND dangerous driving for good measure as well, you would be very lucky to escape an immediate ban. It'll certainly make me think twice about the traffic grand prix in future.

See http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/endorsem.htm#7.%20Endorsement%20Offence%20Codes for more info

I watched a program on UK Horizons yesterday about street racing in Canada - it was unbelievable what some of the idiots got up to [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] One of the races led to an 8 year old being killed (although I think manslaughter would be a more appropriate definition) after a driver lost control of his car and ploughed into the spectators. The w@nkers interviewed on the program then claimed that their races were much safer and could not result in an accident due to their "code of conduct"

The "Max Power" brigade in this country might be a pain in the @rse but they are not a patch on this lot ....... yet

[Edited by alexf - 2/10/2002 12:54:39 PM]