Sponsored by:

Dash illumination change

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2008, 01:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash illumination change

I have seen a few threads on changing the dash illumination colour on a pre-98 classic with LEDS but nothing about doing it on a 99-00 MY car with the white dials.

Can it be done?
Old 10 September 2008, 06:47 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I have seen a few threads on changing the dash illumination colour on a pre-98 classic with LEDS but nothing about doing it on a 99-00 MY car with the white dials.

Can it be done?
should be ok on your car but i know it doesnt work on newages, found out the hard way as the lights, light up a plastic part that shines the display and they are green or red pending your type of scooby and if you put other colour bules is you can hardly see them light up or they go a totaly diff colour to what you wanted.
Old 11 September 2008, 12:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by explore
should be ok on your car but i know it doesnt work on newages, found out the hard way as the lights, light up a plastic part that shines the display and they are green or red pending your type of scooby and if you put other colour bules is you can hardly see them light up or they go a totaly diff colour to what you wanted.
Thanks for replying. I am guessing it might be a suck it and see approach. well I like a challenge and it is something to do in the winter we seem to be having

Anyone else got any input?
Old 11 September 2008, 01:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two words for you. Dont Bother

Seriously mate, I have tinkered and fettled with my bloody dash illumination for years. If you search hard enough you will find various posts of mine on the subject. I have tried every kind of LED's you can imagine from complete sets, to bright ones, to bloody ultra bright ones, all the colours from all the manufacturers and the simple answer is they dont work as well as the factory ones.
(BTW this is all done on a MY00 )

I wanted mine blue in keeping with the car colour and many other blue items in the interior and it has cost me a small fortune in time, efforts, bodged parts and all for no improvement. Yes it does work, but it does not work as well as you imagine and at some times, I had to use the SatNav to get a proper accurate reading as the clocks were near useless.

(newage ones are slightly different as tyou have to open up the dash and remove the clocks and scrape off the film they have in there)

Got a replacerment set of clocks and they now work fine with factory green in there.

Just a bit of advice
Old 11 September 2008, 01:18 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I have two words for you. Dont Bother

Seriously mate, I have tinkered and fettled with my bloody dash illumination for years. If you search hard enough you will find various posts of mine on the subject. I have tried every kind of LED's you can imagine from complete sets, to bright ones, to bloody ultra bright ones, all the colours from all the manufacturers and the simple answer is they dont work as well as the factory ones.
(BTW this is all done on a MY00 )

I wanted mine blue in keeping with the car colour and many other blue items in the interior and it has cost me a small fortune in time, efforts, bodged parts and all for no improvement. Yes it does work, but it does not work as well as you imagine and at some times, I had to use the SatNav to get a proper accurate reading as the clocks were near useless.

(newage ones are slightly different as tyou have to open up the dash and remove the clocks and scrape off the film they have in there)

Got a replacerment set of clocks and they now work fine with factory green in there.

Just a bit of advice
Cheers for the information.

So what stops them working as well? Not doubting you, just interested.

I did search but didn't come up with anything for a MY99 or 00

Found a thread now, can't work out why it didn't come up before.

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-not-easy.html

Last edited by f1_fan; 11 September 2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11 September 2008, 01:45 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

God that was an old thread of mine !!

The reason is because the clocks have got a certain film or something similar on them which reacts better or illuminates brighter with a certain bulb. You cant seem to remove this or alter it in any way, so the only option is to try and find a really really bright LED that can shine through or get a combination of led/film atht seems to work. As yet I never found it and in the process buggered up a set of clocks, dials etc, wasted money on bulbs and never achieved the aim. A shame really because the newage clocks are nice and bright
Old 11 September 2008, 01:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

God that was an old thread of mine !!

The reason is because the clocks have got a certain film or something similar on them which reacts better or illuminates brighter with a certain bulb. You cant seem to remove this or alter it in any way, so the only option is to try and find a really really bright LED that can shine through or get a combination of led/film atht seems to work. As yet I never found it and in the process buggered up a set of clocks, dials etc, wasted money on bulbs and never achieved the aim. A shame really because the newage clocks are nice and bright
Cheers for that, sounds like a dead duck then
Old 11 September 2008, 02:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Just tryinto save you the same amount of grief I went through
Old 11 September 2008, 02:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Just tryinto save you the same amount of grief I went through