Hello all and a few tips if poss

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2008, 02:54 PM
LAity
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all and a few tips if poss

Hi all

Its my first post on here ...although i used to be on one of the forum's in 1999, back then i had a cool grey Sti Type R and loved it, today i have just bought a 06 56 plate Sti Type UK, i am picking it up tomorrow. So the question i have is what can i do to add a bit of performance to it, its PPP but would like a tad more to be honest.

Thanks all

LAity
Old 03 September 2008, 02:58 PM
H12MRO
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

Start with a new exhaust from front to back, Airfilter and remap.
It should see you into the 330 - 340bhp mark

Last edited by H12MRO; 03 September 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03 September 2008, 03:00 PM
LAity
Scooby Regular

Well that is not too bad, what would the car be as it is at the moment?? around the 300 mark?? Also do you know how much for a full system and filter and remap?? is it mad money??

LAity
Old 03 September 2008, 03:05 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you realise, it's all about money!
With the PPP you've already got a reasonable exhaust so the most obvious step is to get an ECU re-map. This should give you a useful power increase and a nicer driving car. If you're looking for 350+ you will have to consider componant changes eg turbo etc. plus re-map to suit, so this is where the expense really starts to bite!
What sort of budget have you considered?

JohnD
Old 03 September 2008, 03:07 PM
H12MRO
Scooby Regular

301 bhp standard give or take a few.

Exhaust

Impreza Turbo 2006-2007 :

Air filters

Subaru Impreza Induction Kits and Performance Panel Filters K&N, HKS, Blitz, Green, Simota :

Remap

EcuTek : Subaru Impreza Tuning EcuTek Remapping

Shop around before putting any money down.
Old 03 September 2008, 03:19 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Hi matey and welcome back ... I basically have that car!

The 06Sti basically has the centre cat removed and the others left standard rather than using the sports cats the other PPPs have done. What this basically means is that to get the most out of a remap you either have to go fully decatted or replace with a sports cat.

The rear pipe and the centre are ok but for big power you may want a full 3" pipe the whole way through.

Filter may help but frankly not much!

I basically have done this the wrong way round lol and I'm now going full decat and will have to take it back to be mapped again!

on the plus side even the remap as standard alone is worth it mine got 275ish at the wheels so depending on you conversion method that works out to between 319BHP and 340BHP in real driving it means it pulls like a train to any speed and rather than dipping a bit at 5500rpm it pulls all the way to 7200 which is fecking great.

I also get a bit more MPG .... well that's what I tell the wife!
Old 03 September 2008, 05:16 PM
LAity
Scooby Regular

Ok, so it seems that if i chuck a few quid at it i could get 350 with not too much trouble. My STi Type R was so fast, it was amazing and i know this one is not going to be as quick...i would love the same sort of performance if the truth be told but its one of those things . I think i had an ITG air filter in the last one...shall i do the same again?? I have forgotten everything i learnt i think .

Thanks for the info....the next question is, where do i get all this done ...i am near Colchester.

Thanks again

LAity
Old 03 September 2008, 06:37 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

if you can find an air filter recommended to go with the 06sti let me know please I've struggled!!!!
Old 03 September 2008, 07:08 PM
H12MRO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LAity
The next question is, where do i get all this done ...i am near Colchester.
LAity
Well if your going to upgrade parts then get them off the net ie Scoobyworld, scoobyparts, scoobyclinic blar blar blar.
With regards to garages in this area mate, go for Mocom racing at Harlow, North Weald.

If you have any work done at a Subaru dealer then AMC in Chelmsford or Conders in Peterbrough.
Both very good ive found.

Old 03 September 2008, 08:43 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Do you all realise he has a 2.5ltr STi and not a 2.0ltr or a WRX?

Decat, plugs and filter and you will be well on the plus side of 350bhp, probably close to or over 360bhp after a remap. More importantly your torque will be 380-400LbFt... so it will pull like a train.

You will only need to start really splashing the cash when you get to 400bhp+

<--- view my scoob to see mods and power. Very minor mods on mine but now has power when I need it in bags and has virtually no lag what so ever.

Take a look at this too: AndyForrestPerformance

Last edited by Mikkel; 03 September 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03 September 2008, 09:43 PM
LAity
Scooby Regular

Ok then..i think i got it. So for me to get 350 is not going to be easy. Happy with that. What i will do is get used to the car then once i am happy i will start getting things done, i will visit the place in Harlow as its up the road and see what they do. Is Scooby Sport in Basildon still there?? my old car used to be serviced there, not bad money and maybe a cup of tea as well.

LAity
Old 03 September 2008, 09:49 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LAity
Ok then..i think i got it. So for me to get 350 is not going to be easy. Happy with that.
No, mate 350+ is going to be quite easy for you. Should cost you less than a grand too. As posted above: decat downpipe, filter, plugs and a remap.
Old 03 September 2008, 10:32 PM
LAity
Scooby Regular

No ...sorry my mistake..i meant " So for me to get 350 bhp IS going to be easy" not what i wrote... Well as i said i will have a look about and see where i can get all the bits done. If its about a grand , i can do that. Then i need some nice blue STI mud flaps, there not cheap though for sure!!!!

LAity
Old 03 September 2008, 10:36 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Cheaper than the OEM ones and I couldn't recommend them highly enough: New Age Impreza (2000-2002) : Classic Style Impreza (1994-2000)

You can get cheaper but not better IMHO.
Old 03 September 2008, 10:48 PM
LAity
Scooby Regular

As long as they fit a 06 car i will order them now, i was going to ask the garage to throw a set in..not much chance of that i guess. O well. Thanks for all the help, chuffed to bits and cant wait to pick up my car tomorrow now!!!

Result.

LAity
Old 03 September 2008, 10:55 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

150 for fecking mud flaps what planet are you people on !!!!!! May be cheaper than OEM but ffs being screwed is being screwed you cant be half screwed.

Whats yours running Mikkel at the wheels by the way always good to get another persons calculations (nice motor BTW)!
Old 03 September 2008, 11:04 PM
LAity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PantsUK
150 for fecking mud flaps what planet are you people on !!!!!! May be cheaper than OEM but ffs being screwed is being screwed you cant be half screwed.

Whats yours running Mikkel at the wheels by the way always good to get another persons calculations (nice motor BTW)!

So what would you suggest getting if £150 is too much doe buddy???
Also, have to agree, lovely car by the way Mikkel.

LAity

Last edited by LAity; 03 September 2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling is shocking!
Old 03 September 2008, 11:09 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PantsUK

I know it's a jip, but if you can't make em yourself for £20 or whatever they cost you have to pay it. The cheap ones just curl up or come to bits.

Just re-read your post and see you were talking about WHP as opposed to at the fly mate. No idea what mine has at the wheels, never RR'd it... just figures from the fly when it was being mapped on the road.

Thanks, glad you like. It's a marmite Impreza, some people like it whilst it's a bit too understated for others.
Old 03 September 2008, 11:20 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

You only got at the fly figures when it was mapped on the road how peculiar surely they were still getting the bhp by working out the weight of your car against performance which is an at the wheel figure and multiplying it up to give you an estimated fly wheel figure??

Got to say this is one of my bugbears with the whole car scene basically bhp on the whole (certainly when mods come into it) is a made up number based on an estimation of the loss you get from fly to wheel. LOL

I vote bhp should be banned and we all move forward to whp

Don't sound as good in the pub though !!!

...... still too dear imho but Impreza Hawk Eye (2006 onwards) : Impreza Mudflaps, WRC mudflaps including stainless brackets and Subaru clipnuts

Someone needs to come along and start producing mudflaps at a more reasonable 30ish quid I reckon lets be fair they are not assembling anything its all cut from templates so it should be cost of materials +20-30% and the materials if bought in bulk must cost **** all!