ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru dealers disappearing

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2008, 01:39 AM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru dealers disappearing

Booked my car in for a service at Research Garage in Nuneaton. When I got there I was surprised to see all the Subaru branding removed. They are no longer selling Subaru (but still doing parts and service apparently). I know there's a few Subaru dealers shut down, but I was surprised that Research were pulling out, they are a well established and big outfit with good premises and a large territory. Times must be hard...new Imprezas not selling too well and I've not seen many of the Diesel Legacys about.
Old 25 August 2008, 09:05 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

4 main dealers have lost their franchise around York. To be honest, other than Bowetts in Leeds, none of them had much interest in the marque.
Old 25 August 2008, 09:33 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

The local dealer near me has now branched out to sell Saab, Nissan and some Volvo as well. Times are tough.

I live across the road from a Vauxhall dealership, which was always very busy with people browsing cars on the weekend, nowdays it's so quiet it looks shut.
Old 25 August 2008, 09:59 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I think the only place the dealers are still doing ok is in rural locations, but even then they often sell other Jap 4x4 marques as well.

The one in Newcastle closed years ago and we only have 3 left up here now in Northumberland and Durham. It's a 40 min roundtrip to my closest dealer.
Old 25 August 2008, 12:20 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Our one and only dealer over here has pretty much given up by the looks of it. It's only a small place, and he's basically given over the whole showroom to Fiat. He's selling shedloads of 500's. All the branding has gone from the interior, just the light up signs on the building left. It's a crime, this dealership is brilliant. Great service, friendly, helpful staff. They don't try to rip you off, in fact I'm always suprised how cheap the bill is when I get any work done, either servicing or getting extra's fitted. They go out of their way to be helpful.

Subaru have really shot themselves in the foot with their new car, and I believe this has been compounded by the economic downturn, and the terrible way IM apparently treat the dealers. It's a crying shame, I just hope the dealer here keeps doing servicing, as I doubt anyone else will take Subaru on, other than the company that has ALL the big names already sewn up. They have the BMW and Merc franchise, and seem to think everyone has loads of money, so their prices and servicing costs reflect that attitude, no matter what make of car it is.

I just hope that by the time my car is around 10 years old, Subaru will of got their act together. Somehow I doubt it, and Subaru in the UK will of gone the same way as Isuzu, that other IM success story. I mean, it must of been a real struggle to not succeed as a 4x4 brand during the 4x4 boom of the late 80's. How did it go IM brainbox say's to management "4x4 sales are soaring, let's take a Japanese brand that is getting a reputation for quality and reliability, and rebrand it as a Vauxhall"

What's next, the Perodua WRX? Lada STI?
Old 25 August 2008, 02:00 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

same here, the subaru near me once was a proper showroom... now its located behind mitsubishi, wonder wats going to happen to subaru in a few years time
wiley
Old 25 August 2008, 04:25 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiley
same here, the subaru near me once was a proper showroom... now its located behind mitsubishi, wonder wats going to happen to subaru in a few years time
wiley
It's not behind Mitsi...
Subaru Chadwell Heath showroom has changed to Alfa Romeo, but they still got the service/parts centre behind the showroom though, theres a garage with a big stars flag.
Old 25 August 2008, 04:53 PM
jase/karen.v1.sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Microstar
Booked my car in for a service at Research Garage in Nuneaton. When I got there I was surprised to see all the Subaru branding removed. They are no longer selling Subaru (but still doing parts and service apparently). I know there's a few Subaru dealers shut down, but I was surprised that Research were pulling out, they are a well established and big outfit with good premises and a large territory. Times must be hard...new Imprezas not selling too well and I've not seen many of the Diesel Legacys about.
Dont know how true it is but i heard research had a big fallout with subaru!!
Old 25 August 2008, 05:10 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

plus i.m have just reorganised their parts delivery to dealers so they now get parts the next day, and in doing this they altered how much parts discount dealers get they robbed them of another 7.5%. they already make over 100% profit on some parts yet see fit to rob everyone a little bit more it don't make sense
Old 25 August 2008, 06:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You dont fall out with Subaru, you fall out with International Motors. IM are a terrible company, who constantly shoot themselves in the foot.