Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the kids to London - what to see?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2008, 11:17 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Taking the kids to London - what to see?

School's out for summer (has been for some weeks now) and I promised my daughters we'd go to London on the train so me and the missus are taking them for the day. They have never been to the capital before so any suggestions on where I should take them would be greatly appreciated - kids are 3 yrs & 8 yrs old so it's typically gonna be the major sights like House of Parliament, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge etc.
Old 17 August 2008, 11:47 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prepare for alot of walking take them to hamleys massive toy store they'll love it
Old 17 August 2008, 12:01 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

The London Eye, it's fantastic. It's also next to the Aquarium which is pretty good. The Tate Modern is worth a visit as it's free and my kids like it, especially the main generator room. There's quite often a fair on the South Bank between them.

A trip from there on a boat down to Greenwich is really nice, the views from the river are great and kids love going on boats.

I would stay away from Madame Tusauds etc IMHO.
Old 17 August 2008, 01:26 PM
baser999
Scooby Regular

Just done the London trip with my partners sister and niece - she'll be 4 in November. Worth doing the Aquarium but be warned its expensive - I think their their kids charge was £9.50 and this was for 3years and above!! Check out the Oyster travelcard www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/oysteroffers which gave us a 1-for-1 deal - I think we ended up only paying £26 for 3 adults and the littl'un. Expect to have to queue - we waited nearly an hour in the rain to get in on a Saturday. As we live in SE London we took a Thames Clipper catamaran to Westminster Pier from Greenwich and the operator again offered a discount for being an Oyster card holder. Rather than the Eye, consider the alternative Greenwich Wheel www.greenwichwheel.com - probably as much fun for the children at least and not so dear. If you're planning something like the Tower, think about joining English Heritage which I believe is one of their sites - this used to give you free admission which would probably be as much as the EH fee effectively making it free to visit their other sites for the rest of the years membership. Natural History Museum is FREE!
Sensible move getting the train - nightmare parking anywhere central.
Have a good trip

Last edited by baser999; 17 August 2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 17 August 2008, 02:51 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by escott
The London Eye, it's fantastic.
Be prepared for the massive queues Last time I went, thought I'd joined the end of a big queue only to hear someone shouting behind saying we wern't. Basically behind there was an even bigger queue and because of this they had to split it into so not to block one of the walkway. Took roughly 45 minutes before getting on the thing only to be with a bloke whose wife rang him up every 5 minutes to see how far around he and the kids were On a less than sour note, once on you can get some fantastic camera shots of most of the London Landmarks.
Old 17 August 2008, 02:54 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antc
prepare for alot of walking take them to hamleys massive toy store they'll love it

Been there done that...foud that once you oull out your wallet at the end of walking up and down the store they'l love you event more....
Old 17 August 2008, 04:11 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

natural history museum, the 02 arena, tutankamun exhibition...
Old 17 August 2008, 04:14 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

after your long day in the West End, get the underground to North Greenwich (Jubilee Line) and pay a visit to the Dome. Good place to have dinner, lots of nice places to eat plus many photo opportunities.
At the moment they got an indoor park I think, last year had an indoor beach with free movies on a big screen.
Old 17 August 2008, 04:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

When I used to do this with various visitors I tried to go on a Sunday and used the car as you could park in most places including residents parking. Is this still true?

Did Ken shoot all the pigeons in Trafalgar Square?

Drive/walk past Downing St so you can show them where our nice Prime Minister lives. And Big Ben, of course. And a river trip. Enjoy
Old 17 August 2008, 04:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

London Eye is great. Natural history museum great for kids. Tussauds OK bot nothing special. Hamleys is good as well.

Chip
Old 18 August 2008, 08:55 AM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

We took our three kids (5, 9, 14yrs) to the science museum (free admission) last weekend.
They really enjoyed it, there is a area where kids can get really hands on to see how stuff works which went down well
Took a packed lunch, glad we did as que for food was pretty long.
If you want to go in the 3D cinema (bit pricey) then get your tickets at the beginning of the day as they sell out fast.
Old 18 August 2008, 03:37 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

London aquarium is really good for the childres, u get to see sharks!!
Wiley