Sponsored by:

Engine light warning

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2008, 01:05 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light warning

Hi Ive already used search and couldn't find the response. OK my car is an sti my53 and the engine light has come on. It appears to be something linked with the speedo (as thats not working or recording miles) but anyway thats not the issue. Because of this the light has come on and it appears to be driving in some kind of safe mode (this still revs and boost ok but not as good as before).

My questions are as follows

1) When the ECU is in safe mode (if there is such a thing) what things specifically are limited?
2) If the fix solves the problem and the engine light goes out will the car return to it's former map? As I had it mapped a few months back and don't want to have to pay for a new one.

Thanks for any help
Old 14 August 2008, 09:42 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

One limit I found is it won't rev beyond c6000 rpm's
Old 14 August 2008, 10:43 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Probably is in safe mode. As far as I know the main limit is on boost, it will only run at the actuator pressure, usually around 0.5bar, so will be well down on power. A boost gauge will reveal all.

Once fixed everything will return to normal and you'll be running your new map, you can't lose the map unless it's specifically overwritten by another re-map.

You need to hook up the diagnostic cables, not sure if its the same on new age but do a search and you'll find it, then the engine light will flash out a fault code to tell you what the ECU thinks is wrong.
Old 14 August 2008, 10:48 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

If speedo cable fails it will throw up engine light and limit performance (don't ask me why). Fix this first. Engine should run ok then but may not clear engine light. I'm not sure but I've read somewhere if you turn ignition on and off quickly 10 times it will clear CEL.
Old 14 August 2008, 11:24 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Newer cars don't have a cable they have a pulse generator screwed into the top of the gearbox and then wiring to the speedo. If this stops working, and they do, then you'll lose the speedo and the engine can go into limp home mode. So fairly likely that's the culprit.
Old 14 August 2008, 02:01 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Newer cars don't have a cable they have a pulse generator screwed into the top of the gearbox and then wiring to the speedo. If this stops working, and they do, then you'll lose the speedo and the engine can go into limp home mode. So fairly likely that's the culprit.
Yes you are correct that is the fault. What Subaru are doing now is finding out how easy a job it is. They said it will either be less than an hour or nearer a couple of days .... So the difference could be c£100 or nearer £1000!!!!! I should know this evening so will let you know... As my garage has never seen a newage have this failure they said.

BTW I do have an AVCR boost control but it can boost beyond 1bar but the boost comes in much later than before and cuts at 6000 rpm so probably only 1500 - 2000 usable rev range.......
Old 14 August 2008, 06:25 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

had this site sent to me ,use it for alll your engine diagnostics and engine codes very usefull WWW.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk
Old 14 August 2008, 06:27 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

had this site sent to me ,use it for alll your engine diagnostics and engine codes very usefull www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk