Sponsored by:

can anyone help me with antilag

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2008, 07:37 PM
MRC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone help me with antilag

hi can anyone help me i am wanting antilag for my 04 plate sti. i have had it remapped it is running 370bhp but i want switchable antilag would i need an ecu?????? thanks Andy
Old 12 August 2008, 10:58 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

I'd like to hear the answer to this one
Old 12 August 2008, 11:23 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Might be worth popping this thread in technical. I've heard the mappers can map to run the car a lil rich on overrun (if you're using ecutec) which gives the 'anti-lag effect'.... alternatively you'd be looking at something like Simtec etc to have a specific map....

I'm no expert but I'm sure they'll be over soon enough...
Old 12 August 2008, 11:55 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

for anti lag you would deff need an aftermarket ecu, something along the lines of simtec, hydra, gems etc etc, I think Simtec is the cheepest but I stand to be corrected (simtec also allows a totaly different fuel map also)

Graeme (saving up for simtec)
Old 13 August 2008, 08:08 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The standard ecu does have the function for anti lag, you will need to change the ecu.

As stated above you have a few choices in no particular order autronics, motec, solaris, gems, and simtek.

Banny
Old 13 August 2008, 01:36 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

IIRC, a couple of mappers found a way of getting a mild form of antilag via the ECUTEK map... Do a search, I'm sure Andy.F had carried it out on a customer's car....
Old 13 August 2008, 01:59 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

AFAIK its only pops and bangs on over run due to fueling, its not antilag though, even the anti lag set by a mapper will give you for a road car on the simtek is just a gimmick TBH
Old 13 August 2008, 02:11 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Yeah mild anti-lag on an original standard ECU will only look good down McDonalds car park unfortuantley, and the scoobs sound decent without havign to add this on a standard one IMO, for the real Mcoy, as been said, after market ECU, the hydra ones are equally as good as MOTEC (and thats been said by a few tuners over on MLR) only cheaper.
Old 14 August 2008, 01:26 AM
sanf
Scooby Regular

I'm interested in this. We have a Grp N GC8 rally car, running a GEMS ecu and ALS. We only use the ALS when running through the stages, and then turn it off. The reason for this we have been told is that if you drive the car normally (i.e. to road laws) the ALS will damage the engine.

Is this not true then, if ALS can be run on cars day to day? Just curious.
Old 14 August 2008, 01:34 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sanf
I'm interested in this. We have a Grp N GC8 rally car, running a GEMS ecu and ALS. We only use the ALS when running through the stages, and then turn it off. The reason for this we have been told is that if you drive the car normally (i.e. to road laws) the ALS will damage the engine.

You have been informed correctly!
Old 14 August 2008, 03:50 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sanf

Yes, proper full blown anti lag can damage and stress the turbo and other stuff, the mild anti lag just addsa few flames and pops n' bangs here and there.
Old 14 August 2008, 04:30 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Anyway proper anti-lag needs more than just an ECU / re-map. There needs to be airflow through the engine, there isn't any if the throttle is closed. There need to be a bypass like there is for idle control. Might be possible on the newer scoobs with drive by wire throttles?

In addition to this as you are now flowing air through the inlet manifold with the throttle lifted there is no longer a vacuum. This is used to provide the servo assistance to your brakes so they won't work very well There needs to be a vacuum pump or something similar to keep the brake servo working.

Finally even though the additional fuel/air used is burnt off in the exhaust / there is no spark in the engine it will still keep pulling albeit as a much reduced power.

Full blown anti-lag on a road going car is therefore a bit stupid. That's why rally cars turn it off when they exit the stage.

What you'll get from a mapper is a bit of fuel being thrown in on the overrun so you get some good pops/bangs/flames from the exhaust. Impressive to the crowd at McDs but not true anti-lag. Bit of a waste IMHO, the extra fuelling could cause bore wash, and you'll be attracting the attention of the local plod with the flames spitting out of the exhaust.
Old 14 August 2008, 06:07 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Anyway proper anti-lag needs more than just an ECU / re-map. There needs to be airflow through the engine, there isn't any if the throttle is closed. There need to be a bypass like there is for idle control. Might be possible on the newer scoobs with drive by wire throttles?

In addition to this as you are now flowing air through the inlet manifold with the throttle lifted there is no longer a vacuum. This is used to provide the servo assistance to your brakes so they won't work very well There needs to be a vacuum pump or something similar to keep the brake servo working.

Finally even though the additional fuel/air used is burnt off in the exhaust / there is no spark in the engine it will still keep pulling albeit as a much reduced power.

Full blown anti-lag on a road going car is therefore a bit stupid. That's why rally cars turn it off when they exit the stage.

What you'll get from a mapper is a bit of fuel being thrown in on the overrun so you get some good pops/bangs/flames from the exhaust. Impressive to the crowd at McDs but not true anti-lag. Bit of a waste IMHO, the extra fuelling could cause bore wash, and you'll be attracting the attention of the local plod with the flames spitting out of the exhaust.
However if you get a stand-alone ECU with the option available for anti-lag, it functions properly. Jacking open the ICV and retarding the timing etc.

On my MY99 fitted with a Simtek, it produces a noticeable difference both on the boost gauge and when driving. The turbo definately does not like it though!

Last edited by Coc-ker; 14 August 2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Added a bit
Old 14 August 2008, 06:31 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Coffin Dodger;8069134]Anyway proper anti-lag needs more than just an ECU / re-map. There needs to be airflow through the engine, there isn't any if the throttle is closed. There need to be a bypass like there is for idle control. Might be possible on the newer scoobs with drive by wire throttles?

Doubt that will affect you 'Sanf'. I would presume you being group N, will be servoless and on a pedal box anyway.
Old 15 August 2008, 12:36 PM
sanf
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=debbiesonic;8069346]
Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

Doubt that will affect you 'Sanf'. I would presume you being group N, will be servoless and on a pedal box anyway.
That' one of the bits we're looking at, the servo is still in position in the car, as it's grp N, I gather most have the internals removed and the casing left in place. As we're re-building the car I'll have a look.

Thanks for the top answers.