Sponsored by:

God bless the Internet (and Nova boys!)

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2001, 11:04 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I really wonder sometimes how we survived before the Internet....

Last night chatting to my neighbour when she mentioned her brake pads were down to metal and starting to screech. Wouldn't usually br a problem, husband is a very competant mechanic in the army, though more used to Helicopters than cars We've been restoring his mini pickup/ my MG Midget together for a while (well we sit in one of the garages, drink beer, play darts and do bugger all on the car actually ). Unfortunately he is now in Bosnia for three months. Don't worry I said I'll change them for you, only be a half hour job. :0

So tonight armed with fresh set of pads change them no problems (except me freezing near to death beacuse 'the projects' occupy both garages). Get to the end and have to put the spring retainer back. Get it back in what I think is the right way. Take the car up the road for a test drive. Foot goes flat to the floor before the brakes kick in. Now I know its not a scoob but this can't be right ! Oh me god what have I done.....

I'm sure its the spring clip but can't work out how else it can fit. Now the car in question is an Astra 1.4 so onto the web and a quick search later, I have a full colur photo of an astra Caliper that some bloke has fitted to his Nova., showing exactly how said clip should fit. 10 mins later and we have perfect brakes

So thank you to every car nut who has been tempted to first modify their car whatever it else and then stick the pictures of their labours on the web. Long may it contintue.....

Dean