Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage & cam belt question/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2008, 04:43 PM
mangobreeze
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage & cam belt question/advice?

Hi can anyone please advise, me?

I have just brought my very first new shape scooby. Its a 2001 Y reg wrx u.k. version. Its in good condition with only 3 owners. Its got almost full service history and had the cam belt changed at 60k miles.

The only thing is its covered 116k miles! Do I need to be worried about the high mileage. How are the engines for high mileage? What sort of problems may I be facing? When should I be looking to have the cam belt changed again?

The car is completely standard and hasn't been messed about with, it seems to run fine, im just getting well paranoid about the high mileage? A few people have told me the engines are bullet proof, especially the newer models, but I always see rebuilds everywhere. So what sort of mileage do they run to?

Sorry for going on, but I do hope you guys can help me and put my mind at rest!

Cheers.
Old 26 July 2008, 05:12 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

as long as they are looked after and serviced regular they should be ok theres one about with 250,000+miles and stille going id say get another service soona bout 120,000
Old 26 July 2008, 05:19 PM
jeromelo
Scooby Regular

I would take it for full service at 120k.

To be honest mate, isn't it a bit too late to be worried about the high mileage??!
If it bothered you so much, why did you buy the car in the first place?
With the state of the economy and fuel crisis, there are plenty of low mileage bugeyes to be had, not sure why you would go for a high mileage one when you seem so worried about it.
Old 26 July 2008, 05:35 PM
mangobreeze
Scooby Newbie

Well jeromelo the reason was I did a swap for my golf v6 4motion, thats why. If I had of tried to sell that first, it would have been difficult and I wouldn't have got as much for it as what I would have had to have paid out for a bugeye, even with the high mileage. Basically I also let my heart rule my head as I do love it, its now after owning it for a week, im begining to panic about the mileage! But my mind is now at rest thanks to forum members. I have found alot of other scoobys with loads more miles that mine!
Old 27 July 2008, 12:26 AM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

To be honest, as long as the car has a good history with services done on the required intervals and lots of TLC, I don't see why this would be a problem.
My mums old micra clocked up 160k and was still going strong.
Old 27 July 2008, 03:11 PM
ericsti
Scooby Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong lads but it is my understanding that the cam belt has to be changes every 60-70k but defo don't go over 70K you'll have to get the Pulles and tensioner check to. My car a MY02 STi was only done there last Saturday with 65K on it. So I'd say you'll need to do all the above. Wait until 120K and get it done with the oil, filters and coolant. Might be an idea to do the diff oil and Gear box oil to will your at it.