Sponsored by:

any help will be appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2008, 10:44 PM
saggynuts
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any help will be appreciated

hi all, i just bought a 97 sti off a mate but hadn't heard it running, he took the car from someone to clear a debt. im not a scooby fan personally was just gonna make a quick few quid on it, now it was only meant to need the clutch replacing. but after jumping it to get it on the trailer i realised the big ends are knocking like a b***h. now there are piles of paper work and receipts saying it's had a lot of money spent on the top end, brembo brake upgrade allsorts of bits done to it. it needs a door put on it which came with it, now cause i'm not a fan of them and i know you will prob not like me for this but i'm thinking of breaking it and selling it off, i'm unsure cause i don't know how much all the bits will cost to fix it, i know it's not a simple job to do, i've found recon engines at a resonable price,but just can't decide what to do. so any help please.

Last edited by saggynuts; 20 July 2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: missed words out
Old 20 July 2008, 11:02 PM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

Reacon Engine £600-700 + Fitting

Fix the Big Ends £1600

If you break it its hard to say how much you will get without getting the full spec of it.
Old 20 July 2008, 11:48 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Why should we not like you for breaking an STi? I'm sure a lot of folk here would love to buy your bits, cheap!
Are you sure tht big end knock isn't the infamous Subaru piston slap? It can sound pretty bad, if you don't know scoobies, but not THAT bad, if you know what I mean.
Old 21 July 2008, 06:36 AM
saggynuts
Scooby Newbie

looks lke re building its gone out the window then. any ideas where i'd get a recon engine at that price i've seen them at around £900. i'm almost 99.9% sure it's big ends, it really does knock like crazy. and i haven't even put it under load and driven it any where yet.
Old 21 July 2008, 07:24 AM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

I quoted that price from one i seen on here recently. Just checked the add and its got no crank. They do them on ebay that cheap but its if you trust them or not.
Old 21 July 2008, 07:33 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

If you live in th Midlands these Guts do rebuilds/re con engines.

Ivan or Sean.

Forester Subaru - Subaru Parts, Subaru Spares, Subaru Breakers

Good Luck.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 21 July 2008, 10:10 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

If you're not a fan and with no intention of keeping it, fixing just wouldn't make sense. I would only say rebuild if you are going to get some use out of it.

Unless you purchased it for peanuts, you will never get your money back if you get it rebuilt and sell straight on.

If it has some good parts on it like you suggest might be the case. Stripping and selling may be your best route to make some money. Have a shifty through the paperwork, check the car out and list up what you have. You can always check the for sale section to see what similar parts are going for.

Good luck
Old 21 July 2008, 01:23 PM
saggynuts
Scooby Newbie

i did purchase it for peanuts thats why i wasn't sure. i do believe that braking it is going to be my easiest option though. i was thinking of sticking a one day listing on ebay for a wheel nut just so that i can get an advert up on there with my phone number. i've started working out what parts are worth on it, and i'll easily clear what i paid from selling off gearbox and a few other bits and still have plenty left to sell. so if there are any bits any one is interested in then drop us an email.
Old 22 July 2008, 12:25 PM
saggynuts
Scooby Newbie

Default braking braking braking

right i've decided i'm gonna brake it, gonna start the weekend so if any one wants any bits start emailing me tonygoodman77@googlemail.com. i have taken loads of pics all except the interior cause i'm gonna valet it 1st. it's got face lift bonnet, grill and headlights, all running gear good,except the big ends on the engine, there's no turbo smoke, don't over heat, it is the red top engine, it's got brembo front brakes, full stainless exhaust system, momo air bag steering wheel, sti rear lights, bumpers, front and rear bumper spats are present, high rise sti spoiler all glass. basically it's complete so email for any bits.