Sponsored by:

So my sti is registered as a GL

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2008, 10:01 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my sti is registered as a GL

Was told that its not really a big problem with the police as it happens quite often with imports, but what would happen if someone was to run into me and total my car for example ?

Now my car is insured as an STI but in this instance its not my insurance that pays out, is that correct ?

Would the insurance company of the guy who totalled my car have grounds to only pay for a GL not an Sti?

Cheers
Old 20 July 2008, 10:23 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

er its dead simple- its up to you to declare every single modification to yr car- i.e a change of alloy wheels from non standard manufacturers spec for example.

regardless of who has a prang/ or whose fault it is- you'd probably get nothing and then face a massive bill- yr ins being null and void currently
Old 20 July 2008, 10:37 PM
dave247
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
er its dead simple- its up to you to declare every single modification to yr car- i.e a change of alloy wheels from non standard manufacturers spec for example.

regardless of who has a prang/ or whose fault it is- you'd probably get nothing and then face a massive bill- yr ins being null and void currently
If you read his post its not about declaring mods.
Old 20 July 2008, 10:47 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

If the guy insured his car as a gl and its an sti his insurance would be void.
Old 20 July 2008, 10:53 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i don't get it, you say its insured as a sti but its registered as a gl. So your car is an sti and thats what you've insured it as or are you saying it is a modded gl which has all the mods declared
Old 20 July 2008, 10:59 PM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

Hes saying that on the V5 it says its a impreza GL, when really its an sti. He has insured it as an sti. But want to know if it could cause complications if there is a crash. If i was you mate i would ring your insurance company and ask, or simply apply to the DVLA and change it. Not sure how easy it is to do.
Old 20 July 2008, 11:03 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

This is regular practice, it eases the SVA/eSVA registration process I suppose!

If it's an STi and is insured as an STi there is no problem.
Old 20 July 2008, 11:11 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

As above, on V5 document its a GL, its not easy to re-register it with DVLA and takes a long time.

I spoke to my insurance company and explained the situation to them - its no problem for them and is written down as an STI.

But if its not my fault, and someone crashes into me and the car is a total loss, its not my insurance that will be paying out so my insurance will have nothing to do with it.

My question is - should i be worried about driving my car before i have it reregisted as if someone crashes into me and my V5 says is a GL i might only get the money for a GL, not as an STI.
Old 20 July 2008, 11:15 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i see now mate, my guess is that the other insurance company would do all they can to only pay out for a gl. is it a mistake by dvla to put it down as a gl
Old 20 July 2008, 11:20 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

I've no idea whether it was DVLA's mistake or someone did this to ease the SVA process as bluenose mentioned, i bought the car just recently and was told that its easy to re-register it, but seems like it isnt ..
Old 20 July 2008, 11:20 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

WRX and STi's declared as GL's on the V5, so people can lie about the model when coming to insure. Insure wrong and you won't get a penny in payout.

bluenose 172 hows does it ease the SVA registration process? I imported my STi and correctly resgiterd it on the v5 as STi. I had no trouble

Avoid the cars that say GL on the V5 if the car the car is being sold as WRX or Sti.

Importers should never have registerd the cars wrong in the first place

Last edited by SqeekyMclean; 20 July 2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 20 July 2008, 11:43 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

How can you insure your car as a STI if it says GL on the V5

When you told your insurance company the reg of your car it would come up on their screens as a GL as that is what's on your V5. So you are basically insuring a car that doesn't exist or heavily modified, which means that if something was to happen they wouldn't pay out and another party's insurance would do everything not to pay out either.

If this was allowed then everyone would be buying Skodas and insuring them as Aston Martins.
Old 21 July 2008, 12:55 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

Simple, explained the situation to the insurance company, gave them the VIN number, declared all the mods and that was the end of it.

Why would i want to ensure a Skoda as an Aston, so i would pay more money for a fake car ? Duh..
Old 21 July 2008, 01:03 AM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

ive heard of this loads of times with stis just means it was registered incorrect when imported my MY94 comes up as a 2005wrx with number plate
Old 21 July 2008, 02:22 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

so whats the solution 20withascooby ? Or is it not a problem at all ?
Old 21 July 2008, 08:40 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

From what I know this is a common issue with early imports as the DVLA had no WRX/STI model to allocate the cars against and hence they got registered as GLs.

As far as I know as long as your car is declared to your insurers as an STI and insured as such then you will have no problems even in the event of a total loss as your insurers will either pay you out if it is your fault or will pay you out and reclaim costs form the third party's insurers if it is their fault assuming you are covered fully comprehensive.

You may want to call your insurance company and record the fact with them that your car is registered on the V5 as a GL and why it is in fact not correct just for your own peace of mind and so that in the event of an accident you can refer any insurer or third party back to your records.
Old 21 July 2008, 08:50 AM
micahmoor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SqeekyMclean
WRX and STi's declared as GL's on the V5, so people can lie about the model when coming to insure. Insure wrong and you won't get a penny in payout.

bluenose 172 hows does it ease the SVA registration process? I imported my STi and correctly resgiterd it on the v5 as STi. I had no trouble

Avoid the cars that say GL on the V5 if the car the car is being sold as WRX or Sti.

mate its been common practise for imports to have strange models on there v5 for a long time.

Avoid any imports that have gl or other wise on the v5 your talking stupid..
Old 21 July 2008, 09:14 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

One thing that everyone is keeping very quiet is the effect on road tax. This is probably why there are some smug JDM STI owners out there who will be paying half the road tax they should be from next year. Road tax is a big deal these days and WHEN the DVLA find out what's happening I wouldn't like to be one of the owners who has been lying. Ignorance (real or otherwise) will be no excuse.
Old 21 July 2008, 09:30 AM
micahmoor
Scooby Regular

it goes on emmisions Blueblaster. not sure it makes any difference what its registerd as. (i think it does any way)
Old 21 July 2008, 09:44 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

Im insured for third party fire and theft : (
Old 21 July 2008, 09:48 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

You should post this in the Insurance section, then one of the brokers will probably answer your question for you?
Old 21 July 2008, 03:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micahmoor
mate its been common practise for imports to have strange models on there v5 for a long time.

Avoid any imports that have gl or other wise on the v5 your talking stupid..
Agreed.
Old 21 July 2008, 05:44 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Not keen on dodgy imports at all ....
Old 21 July 2008, 07:06 PM
micahmoor
Scooby Regular

ok...,I dont think any one likes a dog of a car either my friend.
Old 21 July 2008, 10:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SqeekyMclean

Your post is full of incorrect assumptions. An importer is not necessarily responsible for the way that the vehicle is registered and to suggest that vehicles registered as such are 'dodgy' is simply wrong.
Old 21 July 2008, 10:56 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My V5 has nothing on it referring to model.

Mines just a Subaru.
Old 21 July 2008, 11:48 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

In a way thats why we have so many imported impreza's in britian if they have registerd them wrong to get around SVA or whatever reason.

Blame the dodgy importers for bottomed out prices maybe?

I did a HPI on about 5 uk owned impreza imports : 3 of the 5 . Had the model stated wrong when maching the for-sale ad. Seems a common phenominen

Mines registerd correct so i have nothing to worry about

Last edited by SqeekyMclean; 24 July 2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 22 July 2008, 02:14 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I have no interest in showing you up, but youre talking rubbish. Im talking from the experience gained, buying and importing many cars, the majority of which I also registered.
Old 22 July 2008, 05:52 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I have no interest in showing you up, but youre talking rubbish. Im talking from the experience gained, buying and importing many cars, the majority of which I also registered.
A lot of comments on this thread are clearly getting up your nose and given the above info I can see why. With road tax being based on emissions I would be amazed if anyone who is paying incorrect tax due to an incorrectly registered car is not breaking the law in some way or another. Who originally registered the car is probably irrelevant. If the DVLA get wind of this and thinks it is a significant problem I can see some very large retrospective bills coming people's way.

This isn't a dig or trolling or anything else that people want to call it so they can bury their heads in the sand. Everyone on this site driving an imported turbo of some description and not paying one of the higher rates of tax knows they are 'underpaying'. I'm sure no one will be updating their V5, but I'm sure they'll be the first to whinge when the law catches up with them.
Old 22 July 2008, 08:30 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
A lot of comments on this thread are clearly getting up your nose and given the above info I can see why. With road tax being based on emissions I would be amazed if anyone who is paying incorrect tax due to an incorrectly registered car is not breaking the law in some way or another. Who originally registered the car is probably irrelevant. If the DVLA get wind of this and thinks it is a significant problem I can see some very large retrospective bills coming people's way.

This isn't a dig or trolling or anything else that people want to call it so they can bury their heads in the sand. Everyone on this site driving an imported turbo of some description and not paying one of the higher rates of tax knows they are 'underpaying'. I'm sure no one will be updating their V5, but I'm sure they'll be the first to whinge when the law catches up with them.
LOL @ mystic meg ...& in my experience most errors on V5's are made by the DVLA!

Quick Reply: So my sti is registered as a GL