Sponsored by:

Subaru WRX v Clio Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2008, 08:02 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru WRX v Clio Sport

I was having an arguement the other day saying that a WRX would be quicker than a clio sport 2.0 16v. A few people agreed that in a straight line the scooby would be quicker but if you get into some bends etc the clio would out do the subaru. does anyone have an opinion on this and would I be right in thinking that the scooby would be quicker?

Last edited by davmcc75; 03 July 2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03 July 2008, 08:05 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

All depends on what scooby you have....

BUT those Clio's are quick little buggers and handle like :O
Old 03 July 2008, 08:09 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
All depends on what scooby you have....

BUT those Clio's are quick little buggers and handle like :O
For this we will assume my 1996 WRX 265 bhp jap import version. but it was not stipulated what wrx at the time.
Old 03 July 2008, 08:10 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

nothing beats a scooby in the twistys....FACT...
Old 03 July 2008, 08:34 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Depends on what Clio Sport we're talking about though, the 172 Cup will give your car a very hard time when up and going. Lightly mod the Cup and it does low 14's on the 1/4 terminaling at 100mph, so hardly shy. Again in the twisty's it will depend, the 172 Cup is the great in the bends the 182 Trophy is supposed to be great too.
Old 03 July 2008, 08:35 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Got caught off boost once by a 172
Old 03 July 2008, 08:47 PM
Chrisn01
Scooby Regular

I used to have a full phat Clio 182 and would say the clio handled the nuts in comparison with my scooby and round the track, would give definate run for its money. However, the clios have no grunt top end and looses its puff quiet quickly. Speed wise, the scooby would kill a clio ;0)
Old 03 July 2008, 08:51 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisn01
I used to have a full phat Clio 182 and would say the clio handled the nuts in comparison with my scooby and round the track, would give definate run for its money. However, the clios have no grunt top end and looses its puff quiet quickly. Speed wise, the scooby would kill a clio ;0)
Again you can't generalise. My brothers modded Cup(exhaust and ECU) would only drop back by a couple of cars to my P1(standard) to about 100 from a roll. Against UK's and import WRX's I'd have fancied it's chances. Even standard it would be v.close with the 'lesser' scoobies.
Old 03 July 2008, 08:59 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

So this would be a close one by the sounds of it, and probably come down to the driver rather than the car. But its mad how we spend so much running our scoobs when a clio would give most a run for the money.
Old 03 July 2008, 09:04 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

in the dry ...........
Old 03 July 2008, 09:05 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by davmcc75
its mad how we spend so much running our scoobs when a clio would give most a run for the money.
Not really.....

Among the reasons why the Clio is sh!te..

> It's French
> It's a Renault
> It's a car for girls
> It's Front Wheel Drive
> It has a ***** sounding engine
> It looks like crap
> The interior was designed by Ikea

Old 03 July 2008, 09:09 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

very funny lmao
Old 03 July 2008, 09:10 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
Not really.....

Among the reasons why the Clio is sh!te..

> It's French
> It's a Renault
> It's a car for girls
> It's Front Wheel Drive
> It has a ***** sounding engine
> It looks like crap
> The interior was designed by Ikea

Well that's cleared that up then!
Old 03 July 2008, 09:10 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

I know the Renault Clio 3.0 v6 smokes alot of cars. 255 BHP i think?

Not sure how it would do against a STi.

Last edited by SqeekyMclean; 03 July 2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03 July 2008, 09:12 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davmcc75
So this would be a close one by the sounds of it, and probably come down to the driver rather than the car. But its mad how we spend so much running our scoobs when a clio would give most a run for the money.
See what you mean, but you are comparing top spec Clios against a (sorry WRX owners) a sub-spec Impreza. If you are going to make comparisons then do like for like - top of the range against top of the range. Otherwise it is as pointless as Clarksons STI v FQ360 the other night.

People who want fast Imprezas and only have a budget for a WRX rarely leave it standard. In fact not many Imprezas are standard really lol
Old 03 July 2008, 09:17 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

You can be away from this place for a long time and when you get back you know there will be a Scooby 'V' Clio or M3 thread on the first page

What MPG do you get anyone
Old 03 July 2008, 09:21 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
See what you mean, but you are comparing top spec Clios against a (sorry WRX owners) a sub-spec Impreza. If you are going to make comparisons then do like for like - top of the range against top of the range. Otherwise it is as pointless as Clarksons STI v FQ360 the other night.

People who want fast Imprezas and only have a budget for a WRX rarely leave it standard. In fact not many Imprezas are standard really lol

what about price,running costs etc?

sti 25k
clio cup 15k

you can't really compare them like for like.the clios a budget hot hatch
Old 03 July 2008, 09:23 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

in response to mikkel the WRX i currently have is the 265 BHP version which I was told was one of the higher specs. As I know they also produced the 225 BHP WRX. I know the WRX is not quite as high as the STI but with the running costs etc I could not afford the insurance aswell. As for the Clio it was originally the standard 2.0 16v version i was reffering to, but I still would have thought the Subaru would have been quicker than the cup versions due the 4WD etc in the subaru.
Old 03 July 2008, 09:24 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My pal in croatia has the new clio cup, and we had a play, mines 320 bhp type r, and i can tell you a standard wrx better watch out, now dont get me wrong i had him all the way but they are to be respected in the hands of a competent driver they are a hell of a car, and also in the wet it has the advantage of traction control so would still give a wrx a hard time, although i did find it a little intrusive and switched it off
Old 03 July 2008, 09:34 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

The clio is a very light car compared to the Impreza isn't it? So as standard there's never going to be lot in it.

The allure of the Impreza has always been how strong it's engine is and how it can handle and put down a lot of power when modified.

Hot hatches have caught up to Imprezas an awful lot in the last 5 years to be fair.

As to the point about not comparing top of the range to top of the range based on price... why do we compare STIs to M3s and Evos then? It's a budget saloon compared to them.
Old 03 July 2008, 09:38 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
An Elise would murder a Scooby in the twisties!
Old 03 July 2008, 09:58 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

The clio is a very light car compared to the Impreza isn't it? So as standard there's never going to be lot in it.

The allure of the Impreza has always been how strong it's engine is and how it can handle and put down a lot of power when modified.

Hot hatches have caught up to Imprezas an awful lot in the last 5 years to be fair.

As to the point about not comparing top of the range to top of the range based on price... why do we compare STIs to M3s and Evos then?
im not knocking scoobs,i have owned and loved them for many a year now.i know all about the allure but like you say things have moved on somewhat.there's some very fast focus st's and gti golfs knocking about these days.

just before i sold my last scoob myself and a friend"st focus" attended a rally in the rep of ireland.on good clear straight roads there was nothing in the two but it was only untill we reached the b roads where the scoob showed its worth.
we met a guy in a s3 audi who knew the best view points so we followed him,seemed keen pace for my motor but when we parked up my mate in the ford said" **** me! you trying to kill me"....thats where you see the worth in a scoob,very quick car on the twistys but watch out for the hot hatches on the main roads.
now my wee ra eats the focus everywhere,only cost me 4k as well!...up too about 110mph anyway

Last edited by bpm1588; 03 July 2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: ?
Old 03 July 2008, 10:29 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
I've owned both and have to say the clio is the better handeling car and has sooo much better brakes.
On a B road the scoob would have an advantage on the straights but in the corners it would be beat fact as the clio can brake later and corner faster.

I've been heads up with a UK turbo, well it was an embarrasment the clio walked away from it. lol.
Old 03 July 2008, 10:42 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport
I've owned both and have to say the clio is the better handeling car and has sooo much better brakes.
On a B road the scoob would have an advantage on the straights but in the corners it would be beat fact as the clio can brake later and corner faster.

I've been heads up with a UK turbo, well it was an embarrasment the clio walked away from it. lol.
I take it you are talking about a classic? Handling has come on a long way in the last 10 years on the Impreza and all cars. You just have to look at hot hatches for evidence of that

This is the problem when comparing Imprezas to anything as well as people don't distinguish between old and new. Both have their positives and negatives.
Old 03 July 2008, 10:58 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

I take it you are talking about a classic? Handling has come on a long way in the last 10 years on the Impreza and all cars. You just have to look at hot hatches for evidence of that

This is the problem when comparing Imprezas to anything as well as people don't distinguish between old and new. Both have their positives and negatives.
Yes classic. But saying that a PPP 05STI holds up my std 95WRX the late models are just too FAT.

As a true head to head i'd love to do Cadwell park in my old clio, and see how close i'd get to the scoobs 1.54, I reckon it would be close.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:05 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Yes classic. But saying that a PPP 05STI holds up my std 95WRX the late models are just too FAT.
Yes, later Imprezas are heavier but the guy in the 300+bhp STI that handles better than your car must be a nervous driver to be holding up your standard 95 WRX.

I love classics, and have driven a classic STi (lovely motor), but some owners need a reality check.

There's no doubting you can mod a classic to be a quicker car than the new models of course. It takes less power to make a quick classic but you need to invest in the handling set up.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:12 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Straight line, both just hitting the limiter in every gear!

The truth is regradless of age of car its all down to *****, you've either got em or not.
I still feel the Clio is a better balanced car out the box, the scoob is woolly be it a 95 or an 05 compared, but you cant fight the weight around the corners.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:26 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Raced a clio cup and left it for dead yesterday. I have a wrx. Dry weather and on the move on a dual carriageway. pmsl
Old 03 July 2008, 11:27 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Straight line, both just hitting the limiter in every gear!

The truth is regradless of age of car its all down to *****, you've either got em or not.
I still feel the Clio is a better balanced car out the box, the scoob is woolly be it a 95 or an 05 compared, but you cant fight the weight around the corners.
Straight line getting nowhere near the rev limiter!
Old 03 July 2008, 11:33 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

was talking 95wrx scoob vs 05sti scoob in that instance. lol

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX v Clio Sport