Sponsored by:

UK STi......disappointing?

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2002, 08:12 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi gang!

I drove the new STi in Chelmsford today.....it certainly was nowhere near as good as I thought it would be......jerky take-up in first....rattly interior(better build quality, eh?).....felt slow relative to my current PPP'd MY00.....jiggly suspension set-up.....understeers far too readily......Leda B is in a different league altogether.....
The car is still good.....just needs more power and a bit of driving to get used to the six-speed gear box.....so I'll need to wait for a PPP version, currently being trialled by Prodrive!

Do any of you feel the same way.....???

Cheers

DBM
Old 02 February 2002, 08:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Dont think yours was anything like the one i drove today even an evo7 driver was converted but for interior... much better than my MY00 PPP, ok its not quite as quick but it only had 100 miles on the clock and if you have owned your uk car from new your going to know that its going to be tight at first!
Handling... no way would i be able to keep up with one of those on the road, its soooooooooo easy to drive and much more forgiving than the classic shape car.
Brakes are a delight along with the gearbox, clutch needs some getting use to as its going to be a bit stiff cos its new but once you suss it out its better than the ones on the classics, the driver who took me out let her rip on some lanes and the word WOW!!! comes into it! it may not be as quick as my turbo or as quick as a P1 but both cars wouldnt keep up with it where it counted, on the road im VERY tempted to now purchase a Prodrive version, part exing my turbo in for it my turbo is a great car but this is just one hell of alot better
Gimme one NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Tony (MY00 PPP'd turbo with scoobymania D/P, which doesnt half make the car sound great!! Cheers guys )
Old 02 February 2002, 08:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh just to say if you were the evo7 driver on the M60 today with your kids in the back.... its slow

Tony
Old 02 February 2002, 09:27 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

DBM
I drove the same car this afternoon (assuming it was Days' demo) - but it doesn't sound like the same car.....!

Agree Leda on our WRX's is better. STI needs lowering 15-20mm or so and stiffening a bit.

No problems in 1st gear takeup, but ALL Imprezas feel like they are about to stall if you try and pull away on zero revs.

The front Suretrac diff makes it drive totally unlike any other Impreza. You can feel the front diff lock up under power and start working. No understeer when I drove it, if you accelerate in a bend/on a roundabout the front diff actually pulls the front round and gives more of a feeling of oversteer than understeer.

It was noticeably quicker than Carolyn's ScoobySport decatted exhaust car in a straight line, and considering it had only 167 miles on the clock when I drove it and Imprezas ALWAYS need a few thousand on the clock, it will loosen up a bit more.

The gearbox was excellent.

All it needs is new springs to take 20mm off the ride height and stiffen it up a touch, a full ScoobySport decat (approx 300bhp then), a few miles on the clock, and will be there.....

As I suspected when I wrote elsewhere before I drove it, a modded WRX is a totally different kettle of fish to the STI7, and it will take a while to get under the skin of the STI (i'll find out at Prodrive Live next week) - I suspect it will draw on hidden depths of capability the WRX and most other models of Impreza don't have.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 2/2/2002 9:29:48 PM]
Old 02 February 2002, 09:39 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

I agree with Dave, a mod'd WRX is going to be a different animal to the STI but that's good, isn't it?

If you can make a WRX drive the same as an STI then they've got something wrong a Subaru, 'cos they're different cars for different people. Horses for courses as they say.

Anyway, if I'm going to get an STi then I'm not listening to people 'dissing' it.

Hands clasped over ears and humming loudly.

F
PS Dave I like your cars and what you've done with them and.... Oh, we've done this thread already.
Old 02 February 2002, 09:42 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Floyd
Yep, they are different animals. I was defending a modded WRX before I drove the STI (well, I would, wouldn't I) - but having driven the STI, it has MUCH more potential, as it should.
Old 02 February 2002, 09:52 PM
Madman
Scooby Regular

And now we know why Dave has both WRX's in the "For Sale"
Old 02 February 2002, 09:56 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Dave....

The car just didn't feel right to me, but I do agree that's because it's very different to previous Scoobs and so guys like me will need to drive one for a time to appreciate the real qualities of the car!

The front diffs do make a noticeable difference, but I think it still understeers too easily for my liking!

I'm not slagging the car.....I'll buy the PPP version when it comes out!......it just seemed disappointing for an STi and I think that a modded MY00 or MY01 with Leda suspension would easily keep up with this car in A to B driving!

Cheers

DBM

PS: The car I drove had 650 miles on it, so it was not loosened up!
Old 02 February 2002, 10:02 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

DBM
WAS it Days' car you drove? - cos the one I drove only had 167 miles on the clock...

They did have a Prodrive Style one in, that went out in the morning, but the demo I drove in the afternoon is a WR blue non Prodrive style car....
Old 02 February 2002, 10:17 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Dave...

Something funny is going on here.....I drove the non-Prodrive car and saw 650 miles on it.....unless my eyesight is going and it was 150!!

You're probably right though....I got blootered last night and was quite bleery-eyed this morning....

Cheers

DBM.....still feeling rough and a tad subdued!!!!!!!!
Old 02 February 2002, 10:20 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Wink

I drove the Day's demo with 14 miles on the clock...beat that

Tim
Old 02 February 2002, 11:18 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Tim
LOL - that must have been about Wednesday or Thursday then - I was busy earning a crust
Old 02 February 2002, 11:18 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tony M8 you talk shi*e an evo7 will murder an sti no problem, if you put your foot full down he was proberbly half/third throttle pis*ing himself laughing, I WOULD NEVER HAVE A BIT OF FUN WITH KIDS IN A CAR NOR WOULD TAKE UP AN OFFER WITH SOMEONE WHO HAD KIDS IN THEIR CAR I WOULD SLOW DOWN EVEN PULL THEM OVER IF IT WAS A BLOKE I WOULD FIND IT VERY VERY VERY DIFFICULT TO HOLD MY TEMPER!! ONLY THE FACT THAT CHILDREN WOULD BE WATCHING!!!
J
Old 02 February 2002, 11:23 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Cool

My two sixty fifths of a Euro. I collected my STI7 yesterday and although I couldn't (and wouldn't) push the revs, I did have a good chance to throw it round some of my regular really twisty bits. It is far better than my MY00 with Prodrive suspension (shod with Toyos), understeer was way less, as was body roll. It is far more predictable coming out of corners, going where you point it. It handles the bumpy bits much better, where the MY00 would tend to be a bit skittish. Quite impressive, no - very impressive!

The gearbox is superb. The only other 6-speed I have used is the one in the Pug 306 I did my ARDS in, and this is light years ahead. Got to remember to do the 'lift' for reverse or I'll end up ramming the back wall of the garage in the mornings.

I am suffering withdrawal symptoms now I don't have the SS backbox growl. Wife's comment - "It is stealthy" - sorry dear, I prefer the less subtle approach.

Ken
Old 02 February 2002, 11:58 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
jason b

Apart from the kiddie bit with which I agree, even a "lightly" modded old shape UK Wagon can do an EVO VII

Old 03 February 2002, 10:19 AM
jason b
Scooby Regular

PUFF YOU ARE FUC*ING JOKING MATE i had 2 p1`s and i go out on runs with a good few scoobs all up-rated and they dont come close lllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllll llllll
HERE WE GO AGAIN
J
Old 03 February 2002, 11:47 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Did somones football team lose
Old 03 February 2002, 04:10 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dave

3pm Wednesday afternoon - It had only just been PDI'd

Tim
Old 03 February 2002, 04:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh and it was MY MY00 that played with the evo, not the sti but id like to see both the sti and evo on twisties, i think you may be shocked that this car doesnt act like the old classic model (ie my shaped car) and it doesnt suffer the lift off oversteer like the older versions and the ammount of evo 7 owner buying them!! (one was so fed up with his evo7 he bought an sti7 after taking it for a blast! and that was a uk one!!!) so there u go!

Tony
Old 03 February 2002, 04:51 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

corner i think.

not driven one yet but awaiting the call from my dealer.
Old 03 February 2002, 05:06 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

If the new Sti doesn't have lift-off oversteer what are you supposed to do if you go into a corner too quickly? (this has been bugging me a bit recently as by all accounts the new mini will not either (based on magazine reviews), and that seems to me to be a negative rather than positive point)

Old 03 February 2002, 07:32 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tony my teedy is safe in my bed, 1. i test drove the sti7 in july m8 although in import spec and it is not in the same league, 2. every magazine article states that if you want the ultimate then it is the evo7 simple as that hence, the sti7 price slots them as the next best thing ( which they are ) they are not looking to compete with mits on current models, 3. yes the evo is hard work in comparison on a day to day basis small tank etc but that is not why we buy these cars we buy them to drive, the evo gives much more back to the driver as Jackel ( ex P1 owner says ) i can just about think the evo7 around corners it is that precise, as for power look on the MLR forum regarding sam`s post i think it was 286bhp standard at 1000 miles, my car is quicker than my old pulsar that is in banzai mag this month ( mike`s car from carlisle ) 4.5 to 60, it is was also quicker than my either of my old P1`S with them having a gp a downpipe and p1 back box and that was before i gave my 7 a de-catt and filter, regarding torque in the p1 i could only gain a little on scoobs ( full exhaust etc ) at the very top of the rev range ie. last 1000 revs or so, in the evo i pull away or pull up straight off the throttle.
Why dont you come up or i will call in one day to see for yourself, have you drive an evo??? hard???? if not i suggest you do very soon and you will see and judge for yourself.
Do you drive your car, or do you keep it nice and clean???
Love it m8
J
Old 03 February 2002, 08:51 PM
Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Sorry, everone I was the first to drive days car, it had just come of the transporter & only Henry had done 2.4 miles before me.....
Old 03 February 2002, 09:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jason, trust me the uk car has a slightly different set up than the jap sti7, for starters its suspension is spung slightly softer but thats not a bad thing on our roads (too hard can reduce grip levels) and what do you do in the corners?? just pull the steering wheel in tighter, she goes with it you know its more value for money and just as good a car as the evo (but without all those electronic gadgets and you have less services to worry about and also you dont need to find sul all the time as they are mapped for 95 ron fuel ) its also in a different league to the P1, and even thou the P1 is an excellent car the sti7 is better, especially in build and handling and trust me the guy who took me out gave the car a good (very good) run and she handled like a dream (you could feel those diffs doing their job ) An excellent car and much better to live with for day to day use (although i would if i hand the money have an evo7 for a track car) but i think ill stick to the one thats going to be worth more in 3 years, the STi7 ta

Tony
Old 03 February 2002, 09:32 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Robertio
You don't go into a corner too quickly then

Oversteer, understeer, it's all pretty academic when you sail through that hedge whether it's backwards or forwards!
Old 03 February 2002, 09:50 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

oh right you had to wait for the transporter well we picked ours up from quedgly (if thats how you spell it) i drove it with 4miles on the clock pdi'ed it put another four on it and the customer had the first privatly registered uk sti in the country with just 8 miles on it.
Old 04 February 2002, 12:09 AM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

So you have driven neither then, says it all really, ok have you been in a 7 , i would say no, how then can you even comment.
Yes the sti uk is running a uk suspension set-up and you think it grips well?, it then is very easy to judge your driving ability due to when pushing the car it understeers well well before the evo7 which just holds a perfect line, as for the gadgets well i took my car up a very well known pass in rainy slippy conditions with a brand new set of boots and hairpins a plenty i switched the diff to gravel and the change was astonishing the car just would not let the back-end break away, mid-corner 2nd foot flattened to the floor grip grip and more grip you would have been off the cliff m8. Soon as i put the diff back into tarmac controlled fun made easy, as for dry weather grip well not even a contest.
I cant wait to come across one on the road.
You mention short service intervals and sul well when you drive high-performance car such as scoobs/evo`s etc you should treat them with the respect they deserve.
J
Old 02 March 2002, 04:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Angry

Jason M8,
so also tell the driver of the 911 turbo i had a "play" with on the M/way that his car is slow (ok he was pulling away but not that quickly ) and yes the evo7 came flying up my **** thinking he was gods gift, and no i dont care what you say (and my scoob is poorly after looking at the rolling road figures today) but fact is fact, i outpaced a 7 and if you cant handle that then go throw your teddy into someone elses corner

Tony

PS he was trying

[Edited by TonyBurns - 2/3/2002 4:20:38 PM]