Sponsored by:

Is this the shockers?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2008, 10:32 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the shockers?

Ok handling in crap! Under hard braking from 80mph the car sways backwards and forwards and side to side like a boat?
Old 17 June 2008, 10:33 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

could be that or your braking system?! id have that checked out mate u never know what might happen
Old 17 June 2008, 10:36 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
Ok handling in crap! Under hard braking from 80mph the car sways backwards and forwards and side to side like a boat?

Get your car to either Xtreme or Mocom both near you and both have the right equipment and experiance to sort
Old 17 June 2008, 10:54 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Ok the reason I posted was because a guy I work with drove my car today. He wants to buy a scooby because he misses his old one. I said you can drive mine and straight away he hit the brakes and said there's something wrong.

Because I'm the only one who drives the car all the time I must confess I didn't notice that much. He said that he had a a bug eye standard wrx and when he hit the brakes they were very good and strong.

But I did remember once or twice under heavy braking the same scenerio. Putting it down to the speed I was doing. I mean in most normal cars they tend to sway if you slam on hard at 80.

I'm really pissed off to be honest because I'm not really somebody to hit the brakes hard because of my driving style.

My car went to xtreme to have it's 40,000 mile service a month ago. The brakes are fine.

I did a couple of little tests on the way home from work and it really is fuking awful under hard braking. Not the brakes the cars movement!
Old 17 June 2008, 11:31 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
Ok the reason I posted was because a guy I work with drove my car today. He wants to buy a scooby because he misses his old one. I said you can drive mine and straight away he hit the brakes and said there's something wrong.

Because I'm the only one who drives the car all the time I must confess I didn't notice that much. He said that he had a a bug eye standard wrx and when he hit the brakes they were very good and strong.

But I did remember once or twice under heavy braking the same scenerio. Putting it down to the speed I was doing. I mean in most normal cars they tend to sway if you slam on hard at 80.

I'm really pissed off to be honest because I'm not really somebody to hit the brakes hard because of my driving style.

My car went to xtreme to have it's 40,000 mile service a month ago. The brakes are fine.

I did a couple of little tests on the way home from work and it really is fuking awful under hard braking. Not the brakes the cars movement!
Changing the brake fluid doesn't mean they are fine New Age cars do move about more than the classics but the WRX suspension in particular does warble on motorways and moves about under heavy breaking especially cornering. Get some EBC Yellow pads (as recomended in your other thread), the WRX brakes aren't brilliant but perfectly adequate with the right pads for fast road use. Get the alignment set up properly and get the ARB / links done to stiffen and reduce the warble. On my 53WRX I also had the prodrive springs which also improved things 100%
Old 17 June 2008, 11:55 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Changing the brake fluid doesn't mean they are fine New Age cars do move about more than the classics but the WRX suspension in particular does warble on motorways and moves about under heavy breaking especially cornering. Get some EBC Yellow pads (as recomended in your other thread), the WRX brakes aren't brilliant but perfectly adequate with the right pads for fast road use. Get the alignment set up properly and get the ARB / links done to stiffen and reduce the warble. On my 53WRX I also had the prodrive springs which also improved things 100%
I understand what you're saying. Cheers mate. If changing to ebc yellow stuff pads solved it I'd be over the moon. I really do think one of the shockers have gone? How can a find this out? Is it possible I damaged one of them when I was lowering the car down with a jack when I did the decat?
Old 18 June 2008, 12:00 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

jus get it checked at a garage mate....best and safest bet. and anyway....when u urself drive a mates car...or a car not your own, everything seems weird dont it??? driving an impreza after driving something else, and vice versa...things all seem way different!!

wouldnt worry bout it mate, but get suspension checked to be safe, take it to a place that offers suspension checks free, hi q here offers that, not sure about ur ends

Ash