Sponsored by:

Want to improve handling?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2008, 08:03 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want to improve handling?

Evening all just after some advice as mentioned, I have a uk classic and want to improve the handling/Stiffen things up a bit on the car, it will not be used on the track just want some advice as to what to buy and where to buy these things from to achive this don't want to lower the car really but was thinking of getting some whiteline rear drop links and anti rollbar, do I need anything else guys as I have not got a clue what to do when it comes to the handling side of things. Thanks in advance
Old 01 June 2008, 08:40 PM
barndogg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GONZO01
Evening all just after some advice as mentioned, I have a uk classic and want to improve the handling/Stiffen things up a bit on the car, it will not be used on the track just want some advice as to what to buy and where to buy these things from to achive this don't want to lower the car really but was thinking of getting some whiteline rear drop links and anti rollbar, do I need anything else guys as I have not got a clue what to do when it comes to the handling side of things. Thanks in advance
Whitelines antioll bar front and back. + drop link upgrades. Thats what i'm doing next anyway.
Old 01 June 2008, 10:55 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Anyone else with some advice/ideas.
Old 01 June 2008, 11:03 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Have a look here https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/ plenty of good advice in there.
Old 01 June 2008, 11:13 PM
lammylama
Scooby Regular

i have a classic type r which handles extremely well.....my advice to start with is defo rear drop links,anti lift kit and an uprated adjustable rear ARB and would also recommend a full geometry set up by someone like powerstation.
This will make an amazing difference to the car but for some reason i have been advised by a few ppl now not to uprate the front ARB...dont ask me why coz i have no idea.
I also have leda coilovers,fully polybushed suspension and the steering has been shimmed to reduce bumpsteer and overall the car handles amazing IMO.
Old 02 June 2008, 12:03 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you could fit a H brace as well
Old 02 June 2008, 12:23 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

If your gonna fit stiffer ARB's then you'd be better off with some eibach springs, they dont lower the car too much but do make a hell of a differance!
Old 02 June 2008, 07:26 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

gonzo, do what i did, makes a hell of a difference...

replaced standard set up ith the following...
  • agx kyb gas adjustable shocks (4 stiffness settings front - 8 rear)
  • eibach lowering springs (nice and stiff, little difference to ride height)
  • whiteline front/rear steel droplinks (same purpose as alloy ones - cheaper )
the above cost me around £350 for the shocks, £140 for the springs and £85 for the front/rear droplinks... the difference is immense. only query is the springs dont lower it enough, but thats a + in your favour. set up is fully adjustable at a click of a dial thing so can be changed for motorway miles or nice and stiff for a country road blast. i think its excellent on my my99 classic. i would however add a rear anti roll bar (£100?) into that to counter the understeer these cars have anyway. still a superb set up for the price... andy has it on maximum attack (ie stiffest settings) 100%
Old 03 June 2008, 09:51 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses all much appreicated just got to decided what to go for
Old 04 June 2008, 06:15 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Of course no one mentions budget....
As a starter then an STi takeoff rear bar is much cheaper than an aftermarket one and at 20mm usefully thicker than yours, rear subframe lock bolts are only about £20 and really sharpen the feel, as does new steering rack bushes (mine were worn right through).

Decent tyres are much better than budget.

Then start to think about more fundamental changes when you know what you have and how you want to progress, its easy to make a big shopping list without considering the most effcetive way forward!

Simon