Sponsored by:

STI LPG GAS CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2008, 06:48 PM
brownysti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink STI LPG GAS CONVERSION

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone has had there scooby converted to run on lpg and what it's like, Has it affected the performance at all, Ive had a quote to convert a 2005 sti type uk and it was £2200 inc vat and I was told that it doesnt affect the performance in any way but i would rather hear this from someone who has had it done, Any advice will be apreciated.

ps; ive been told this will also lower the tax on the car does anyone know if this is true.

Last edited by brownysti; 01 June 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 30 May 2008, 07:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brownysti
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone has had there scooby converted to run on lpg and what it's like, Has it affected the performance at all, Ive had a quote to convert a 2005 sti type uk and it was £2200 inc vat and I was told that it doesnt affect the performance in any way but i would rather hear this from someone who has had it done, Any advice will be apreciated
There have been lots of threads on this forum section and in the Drivetrain forum. Mixed views but no disaster stories if memory serves. But do get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I am sick and tired of petrol prices and find it hard to justify running my old Jag these days. I am planning to buy a 2000 model Jaguar (below VED increases) and have it converted. These old gas guzzlers are as cheap as chips. I will then have a comfy car with a bit of hide and walnut which I like which does the equivalent of 50 mpg. dl
Old 30 May 2008, 11:34 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

I've just had an Outback for 3 months that had a BRC sequent system fitted. It was great ! 200 miles for £25 ! But it was also slow, so I'm converting my Forester S-turbo to lpg. I've contacted various conversion firms, but haven't managed to find one near me who's done a turbo scooby,or answer my questions properly, so I'm going to do it myself, using a kit from Tinley Tech LPG Equipment - LPG conversion kits, LPG advice, LPG parts. . I trust my ability more than some monkey who failed his corgi exams!
Tinley tech can customise your system to your requirements.Check dis:
Scooby LPG
Old 30 May 2008, 11:45 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Scooby LPG

This site was set up by someone on here. Can't think who now!!
Old 30 May 2008, 11:48 PM
brownysti
Scooby Regular

I think your a brave man to do it yourself, ive had a quote from a company called the greenfuel company (The Greenfuel Company - Home) who are a goverment recognised company and they do an online quote to show how much you will save they are the best ive found so far.
Old 30 May 2008, 11:49 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

i think cotcomp do a subaru lpg conversion, someone on lads has it done
Old 31 May 2008, 12:31 AM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

I think your a brave man to do it yourself, ive had a quote from a company called the greenfuel company (The Greenfuel Company - Home) who are a goverment recognised company and they do an online quote to show how much you will save they are the best ive found so far.
I've had a quote from Greenfuel, and now hard-sell E-mails every week. So far they have been unable to answer crucial questions, like how big the tank will be, and where is their nearest workshop!
It would be nice to see the workshop before you hand over two big ones, don't you think?
Instead of answering questions asked of them, they are more interested in slagging off the opposition- some of them, top quality systems.

Last edited by nixxon; 31 May 2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 31 May 2008, 07:51 AM
Distinguished Gentleman
Scooby Regular

I've got a Discovery with an LPG conversion and I was advised when I bought it , to ensure that I had the appropriate installation certificate issued by a registered installer, otherwise I couldn't get it insured. Not sure how this would work with a DIY job, but ask questions about it first.

DG
Old 31 May 2008, 11:35 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I recall Bob Rawle telling me he mapped a P1 (I think) with LPG and was very impressed with the results.
Old 31 May 2008, 12:21 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

try ringing ste here.......Home of Hytek Autogas,LPG conversions for petrol powered vehicles

he has done a few,and deffo knows what he is talking about,he can program the ecu,so when you hit boost it switches to petrol,or leave it on gas
Old 31 May 2008, 03:09 PM
Ben2563
Scooby Regular

But back to the original question has anyone on this site had it done to their Scooby?
Old 31 May 2008, 03:52 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan83590
Scooby LPG

This site was set up by someone on here. Can't think who now!!
Like I said, this site was done by someone on here. It was only the other day that I read the post but my memory has gone away I tried a search but couldn't find the same post. Hopefully he'l read this.....
Old 31 May 2008, 07:19 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marklemac
I recall Bob Rawle telling me he mapped a P1 (I think) with LPG and was very impressed with the results.
Maybe something to do with lpg being 110 RON! How many bottles of millers would that need?
Old 31 May 2008, 07:56 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Won't the Goverment help out on Green Issues
Old 31 May 2008, 08:04 PM
brownysti
Scooby Regular

I thought that myself but ive been told the goverment have stopped giving the grant towards the costs
Old 31 May 2008, 08:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Re performance this is relevant

Go LPG - Will the performance of my vehicle be any different when using LPG?
Old 31 May 2008, 08:17 PM
brownysti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
thats a good piece of info im starting to see light at the end of the tunnel
Old 31 May 2008, 08:36 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

you can now specify lpg on a scoob when you buy it new but it has to come from the factory with it fitted because they modify the heads to cope with it, also it makes the valves recess into the head so you have to keep doing the tappits at certain services.

i've seen it fitted to a lot of subarus and i can't recommend it to be honest, check engine lights and rough running seem to be the constant problems that all the kits suffer from
Old 31 May 2008, 10:53 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
you can now specify lpg on a scoob when you buy it new but it has to come from the factory with it fitted because they modify the heads to cope with it, also it makes the valves recess into the head so you have to keep doing the tappits at certain services.

i've seen it fitted to a lot of subarus and i can't recommend it to be honest, check engine lights and rough running seem to be the constant problems that all the kits suffer from
Subaru use a company at Millbrook to convert their lpg cards. The heads are not altered. Recent heads are better able than older ones to cope with Valve Seat regression, which can be controlled using Flashlube.Tappits still ned to be adjusted more than normal, but the heads should outlast the life of the engine.
My outback had 147,000 miles on it, and was converted at 30,000 miles. It ran perfectly, and was smooth as!
There are, however , a helluva lot of cowboy fitters out there, and shabby performance is more a result of poor conversion matching and fitment, than any inherent shortcomings in lpg systems.

Last edited by nixxon; 01 June 2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 31 May 2008, 11:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben2563
But back to the original question has anyone on this site had it done to their Scooby?
I think its "welloilbeefhooked"

I'm sure I've seen him post the engine bay pic.

I'm probably going to get my Jeep converted if I decide to keep it. Only thing that puts me off a bit is that at £1500 my Jeep is only worth £1500. If I do I'll have to keep it for 5 years to make it back.

It will be my daily with a scoob in the garage
Old 01 June 2008, 12:21 AM
brownysti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

I'm sure I've seen him post the engine bay pic.

I'm probably going to get my Jeep converted if I decide to keep it. Only thing that puts me off a bit is that at £1500 my Jeep is only worth £1500. If I do I'll have to keep it for 5 years to make it back.

It will be my daily with a scoob in the garage
surely the resale value will increase with an lpg conversion
Old 01 June 2008, 08:30 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

surely the resale value will increase with an lpg conversion
Don't count on that. That wasn't the case before petrol prices got silly but the situation may be changing now of course. There is still a lot of doubt around about LPG in the public's mind, especially in the performance market. I think that it will make a difference to the older gas guzzlers like Jags, Range Rovers, Mercs etc. Trouble is the whole market is flat because a lot of people have run out of money and they don't trust Gordon not to start taxing LPG heavily despite his promises. Note for cheap veggie oil for diesels the price has just about doubled in the last six months (although not really GB's fault). dl
Old 01 June 2008, 10:11 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Thats's the one. He did his at home. I'm sure he said it worked a treat too.
Old 01 June 2008, 02:58 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nixxon
Subaru use a company at Millbrook to convert their lpg cards. The heads are not altered. Recent heads are better able than older ones to cope with Valve Seat regression, which can be controlled using Flashlube.Tappits still ned to be adjusted more than normal, but the heads should outlast the life of the engine.
My outback had 147,000 miles on it, and was converted at 30,000 miles. It ran perfectly, and was smooth as!
There are, however , a helluva lot of cowboy fitters out there, and shabby performance is more a result of poor conversion matching and fitment, than any inherent shortcomings in lpg systems.
i'm not on about fitting an aftermarket kit it comes from the factory with it fitted and the heads are altered.
Old 01 June 2008, 03:16 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
i'm not on about fitting an aftermarket kit it comes from the factory with it fitted and the heads are altered.
Subaru UK have cars converted for them , in the same way as PPP is fitted. Same warranty etc. They do not , and never have, come direct from the factory already converted.
Old 01 November 2008, 11:59 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Old thread I know, but I like to add my input as Scooby LPG is my site.

Car is still running great 8 months on and I can run full 1.45bar boost on gas.
There is a drop in power, but not much. This can be felt in the car by switching from gas to petrol while on WOT which is insanely smooth.

I can, and have had, the system use some petrol as well as gas at high loads. I started off with it cutting back to petrol only after 4.5k rpm and then gradually tested it until I got full boost on gas. Only problem is that due to the higher vaporisor pressure and larger injectors I am using, the idle is a little worse than on petrol. Its still perfectly acceptable though.

Since doing my scoob I have done the Mrs's BMW 320ci and I am in the process of converting a mates IS200 this week. The BMW runs like a dream, lets hope the IS does too.

Wayne.