Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1 problems !!! Prodrive please answer!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2001, 07:45 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I bought my 00 P1 in September, at first i was pleased, i had a GTI-R ( jap import) running 285bhp for a year and a half with not 1 problem.The first thing was the n/s/r strut started to creak which was replaced in early December.During December it began to suffer from hot and cold start problems from time to time ( waiting to get it sorted ).Then i noticed the rear spoiler ( infamous now isn,t it? )bubble on the P1 sign.Not really a good start prodrive!
Anyway over the last few days my n/s/r creak has re-emerged now surely this should not happen especially after 1 MONTH, my fear is their is something else wrong.I took it today 11/1/01 to get it comfirmed that it was the rear strut again and this was the case ( either this is a big problem or you have just found the next R Burns as i have pushed the car like no one else. i am good but i dont think that good yet.), it was also in for my replacment spoiler which was changed.Upon putting the car in the garage i noticed in the light that their is a chip on the top n/s.I broke my bank ( and my girlfriends) to buy this car and i am begining to feel aggreived as you can well imagine.oh i forgot about the snow chips ( very poor paint ) all over the front.I will be talking it back to my dealer first thing and i'll be on the phone to yourselves second.Up to now i have kept quiet and accepted the first couple of problems due to luck but i have had enough.
ANY ANSWERS MR WOOD AND FRIENDS
Old 11 January 2001, 08:24 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Jason,
I am very sorry to hear about your problems,i think the dealer and prodrive owe you and a lot of other people a good explanation.I was going to buy a p1 myself but purchased a STI type r instaed in july last year, ive had no bother at all with it and driven it really hard.Im glad i didnt buy a p1 now after hearing so many bad stories, maybe prodrive need more time and more models to improve their quality in road cars.Maybe this is untrue but you are having to suffer now.I think the sti cars are better as they area a living legend and have been proved over the last 6 years,the p1 was supposed to be an sti with a warranty and euro freindly spec but for 6 grand more than an sti has not proved itself at all up to now warranty, wear and tear etc.. No offence at all to any p1 owners as this is just my personal point of view,
Regards,
Buddy
Old 11 January 2001, 08:32 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Jason
I am sorry to hear about the problems with your car.

I have to wonder when I see a post like this (it is not the first, by any means) whether the individual is doing themselves any favours by splashing it across a public bulletin board without taking it up with the dealer and, if necessary, Prodrive, first.

This isn't a criticism, I just wonder if it is the right approach. After all, from what you say above you haven't yet given them a chance and are finding them guilty without a trial.
Old 11 January 2001, 08:59 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dave I admire your uncanny ability to remark on other peoples miss-fortune but I would just like to add that so far with nearly 3 weeks after complaing again I have had sweet FACK ALL done in any shape or form to have my problems sorted. My local dealer is a superb outfit and I cant praise them enough for their patience as I didn't even get the car from them. The problem is that they are getting let down by Subaru and Prodrive. I was told only yesterday that a new brake kit was "on its way" but when.........who knows.
I haven't washed my car now for 3 weeks.............what's the point when its covered in rusty ****e!
They haven't even absolutely agreed to replace the wheels yet??????????
And the bodywork ........well who knows.
Lets face it its a quick car that's just not up to scratch!
I reckon on a new front bumper and splitter every 6 months or so.
Old 11 January 2001, 09:31 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

ARRON
I am sorry about your car also - but as I said, it is NOT a criticism of jason.

Please do not be sarcastic with me, I am not responsible for the problems with your car.
If I were in the same position as you no doubt I would be angry - but I wouldn't take it out on you.

Perhaps it does not come across in my post - but I deal with difficult people every day in my work and I was actually trying to be helpful not critical. How you present a case when there is a problem can have a great influence on the outcome. Going public rather than trying to give the person responsible for sorting the problem can get people's backs up, thus lessening your chances of a successful outcome.

Your case appears to be different to his - or at least further down the complaining route. It may well be that jason ends up in the same place. I am not defending Prodrive, just saying that it isn't always the road to the best outcome by shooting first and asking questions afterwards.

And, I will repeat, I am not criticising - you or jason.

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 11 January 2001).]
Old 11 January 2001, 09:38 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Guys.
It's also worth noting that Mike posts on this board purely off his own back, and helps out wherever possible with technical questions. He is not responsible for the P1 problems, nor is he probably the person to sort them out.
Perhaps hassling Prodrive directly will get you a quicker result?
Just my £1.57's worth.

Stef.
Old 11 January 2001, 09:44 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave I was only joking with u mate.
Fortunately I have a sense of humour..........be it a bit warped.

Old 11 January 2001, 10:40 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

When you pay 30 grand or so and the replacement spoiler has a chip in it then i think it is taking the p**s just a little bit,also 2 struts in a month is just to much.
My intent was not to stir up a fight but just to get the attention that people do not always give.Dont get me wrong its still a wicked car and the only impreza model i would ever buy but for what it is and from where it comes it should be better,if it is put right then my faith will be restored but it is a lot.
Watch this space.
thanks for replies
jay.
Old 12 January 2001, 05:10 AM
Bernmc2
Scooby Regular

Maybe I just got lucky, but my P1 has been relatively trouble-free. I had a few glitches with the alarm/central locking shortly after I got it, but it's been fine since. No paint problems. I wacked the offside rear suspension on a curb after an encounter with some ice, and my local dealer is still waiting for suspension parts (about a month now), so from that aspect it doesn't seem any better than the greys! Price aside, I'd still have it over an imported STi. However, the fact that 'only 500 made' turned into 'only 1000', and the fact that the 'ultimate Impreza' was about £7000 worth of extra's short of 'ultimate' has soured my respect for both Subaru and Prodrive. When I originally ordered (shortly after the P1 was announced), I assumed that because Prodrive were involved, I couldn't go wrong... duh!
Anyway, if I could afford to keep it, I'd grit my teeth and have the brake upgrade fitted and do my best to forget what I payed - everytime I get the beast onto a nice B-road, the money doesn't seem to matter anymore!

For anyone who was thinking of buying one, but has been put off... reconsider! P1's are starting to appear in the classifieds - still for silly money - but I think prices will start to look sensible eventually. Don't pay full money for a new one, just wait for a nice low mile second hand job, and you'll be laughing.
Old 12 January 2001, 07:39 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ARRON BIRD:
<B>Dave I was only joking with u mate.
Fortunately I have a sense of humour..........be it a bit warped.

[/quote]

Arron
No probs mate - I spend too much time in the Muppet forum - so when I do something serious it probably comes as a surprise to all of us.....

Old 12 January 2001, 07:45 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>No probs mate - I spend too much time in the Muppet forum - so when I do something serious it probably comes as a surprise to all of us..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean more of a bloody shock

Richard
Old 12 January 2001, 08:17 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh dear, have I just made the biggest mistake of my sorry little life. If only these articles had been posted a few days earlier.

I have just bought a brand new unregistered P1 which I will be picking up in March. The paint chipping business is a real worry to me as I do a lot of motorway miles.

I have heard people mention on this board that there is a paintwork protection system available, but I dont know what its called or anything.

Paul
Old 12 January 2001, 09:52 AM
andyo
Scooby Regular

I have trouble as well with front spoiler and paint chips i am waiting for answer from dealer re respray - brake vents in airdam painted black are now orange!!

IM must admit there is a problem numerous cars have had warranty resprays and also the later P1s had armour fend fitted why wasn'th this done to all of them???

Andy
Old 12 January 2001, 10:45 AM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

Paul

Just get your dealer to amourfend it FOC. The paint issue is my only gripe (got APs rather than the prodrive brakes). I've already had one re-spray on the front due to some pr1nk reversing into me.

Still very happy with the car, the problem is the way I drive and the roads I drive on I always get stone chips (my 328 was green spec'ed grey by the end I got rid of it).

Never mind....

,,,R
Old 12 January 2001, 11:06 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rob (RVeiga)

When you say Armourfend FOC, how much of the front, as to my knowledge they will only do the Peter Stevens front lip...

I recommend to anyone who has an Impreza and does a lot of motorway driving, that they should contact Armourfend (www.armourfend.com) and get the whole job done... its not cheap, but will save your paint work! Mine will be done shortly...

As for the whole P1 issues thing, I have a couple of niggles, but on the whole the car is just sooo good to drive (like this morning!)..

Rgds, Alex
Old 12 January 2001, 11:20 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

DrE did I see you this morning in bracknell? x??? adp?
Old 12 January 2001, 11:27 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Fosters,

No mate, X? BPA is mine, with scoobynet across the back window and tinted windows...

I think a few people noticed me and an EVO heading toward the M4 south west of reading..

See you Sunday mate, Alex
Old 12 January 2001, 12:16 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

I sincerely feel really gutted for the P1 gang. I'd like to thank the likes of JasonB and co. as its certainly made me think twice about buying one for sure...

Buddy, if you're reading this - I'd be keen to hear a comparison of your Type R against a P1, as this may be a better option for me.

All I know is that I'd like to ditch my MY99 for a 280bhp car instead.

DV
Old 12 January 2001, 01:14 PM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

DrEvil

Try and get the dealer to do as much as poss FOC. Mine is already bewond help due to rather leasurely Clang & *****

..R
Old 12 January 2001, 01:25 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rob,

I will be talking to them in the next week or so... as I had similar probs with MY00 Turbo in DBM this is not so much a P1 issue as a subaru paint issue..

3 months old and looks like its been sandblasted...

Clang-n-ball eh, leisurely, right

Are we going to see you this weekend at the Fleet meet?

Cheers, Alex
Old 12 January 2001, 01:35 PM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Possibly, see if the other half fancies if..

..R
Old 12 January 2001, 02:09 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Quick note, if you have or are having armourfend fitted .. use waxwizzard products, no residue, so you can't see the edges of the armourfend after waxing, unlike Autoglym which leaves loads of white crud everywhere...

Rob - tell her that a few of us are bring other halves, as I am, Ronnie is, Andy T and a few others too...

Cheers, Alex

[This message has been edited by DrEvil (edited 12 January 2001).]
Old 12 January 2001, 03:20 PM
church_monster
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well on a good note guys, the quick shift box in mine went wrong after the usual 4k miles, I called into Quenby's in Baldock Herts on the wednesday afternoon, and they had the parts delivered and fitted by midday Friday.....Praise goes out to these guys, they are one of the best dealers around, I bought my sep00 pd from SGT in Maidenhead and their also very good.