Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One to watch for

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2002, 10:59 AM
Martyn Tonks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately earlier on this month my beloved twin turbo GTB took a trip into a ditch, courtesy of the lady wife who was driving at the time (it was extremely icy in the lanes by me). It appeared that damage was confined to the front offside wing and bumper. However after closer inspection by the body shop £9.5K of parts were required to repair it (Nothing is standard all special order stuff)and £4K of labour, result WRITE OFF.

Talking to the insurance engineer it will be classed as a category C write off, not a scrapper but repairable. BEWARE if you come across R433 *** on the open market in the future.

1) check that all of the repairs have been done correctly on the underside (engine cross member, steering rack, suspension, air con plumbing etc)

2) Check the engine, the engineer informs me that because the car was at such a steep angle the oil intake was not covered by oil, and because the engine continued running there are some very ominous sounds coming from it The repairs for this were not costed into the estimate at the time so the £13.5K total does not cover engine repairs

Finally remember it is a write off and should be sold to its new owner with the full knowledge of it's past.

For any further info feel free to contact me.
Old 01 February 2002, 04:53 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sad to hear about the bent GT-B, but assume the occupant (s?) were all OK which is the #1 thing after all.

Old 01 February 2002, 09:34 AM
Martyn Tonks
Scooby Regular

Occupants fine apart from dented pride, thanks for asking.