Sponsored by:

Sorry if its SIAL But Petrol prices lets fight back

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2008, 02:14 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry if its SIAL But Petrol prices lets fight back

Got sent this and it looks like a good idea to me and we all use V power, don't we ? Right so no harm to us then
Sign below if your going to do as I am and Boycott Esso and BP

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting £1 1 9.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £ 2.00 a litre. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc., i.e., boycott BP and Esso

Old 20 May 2008, 03:14 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many of the supermarkets get there fuel from Esso or BP????

Do they own there own refineries?

I know the Sainsburys near me is BP.
Old 20 May 2008, 03:30 PM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways

What a load of BOLLOCKS
Old 20 May 2008, 03:34 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CaptainJohn
What a load of BOLLOCKS

Old 20 May 2008, 03:53 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

LOL! If oil companies were to "lower their prices to the 69p range" then they would be losing money on each litre. Very likely...

Isn't this that same old e-mail that's been posted here about 50 times already, but with the prices updated?!
Old 20 May 2008, 04:01 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

This is no more than chain email designed to clog email systems, end of! Had it twice this week already.
Old 20 May 2008, 04:03 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

If you cant afford petrol WALK
Old 20 May 2008, 04:43 PM
RICH S202
Scooby Regular

It's not about not being able to afford petrol, it's about the principal, or does'nt that matter anymore??? Typically British attitude, bend over and take it!!!

PS. I do love walking though
Old 20 May 2008, 05:36 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICH S202
It's not about not being able to afford petrol, it's about the principal, or does'nt that matter anymore??? Typically British attitude, bend over and take it!!!

PS. I do love walking though
Not buying petrol will achieve nothing. A huge demonstration will achieve nothing. Even if it would make a difference, which it wouldn't, the Government couldn't reduce taxes even if it wanted to because it is broke. In fact it is worse than broke - it owes tens of billions of Pounds at a time when it's income is reducing. The sooner everyone realises this the better we will all will be.

The last ten years of economic growth have not been thanks to Gordon Brown. They have been the result of lots of Chinese (amongst others) producing nice things for us to buy in return for a few grains of rice. And we've been getting the money to buy these nice things from the greedy banks who thought they could beat the system. But they couldn't. And now we find ourselves in the position where the spending that has fueled our economy is drying up because the Chinese goods are becoming more expensive as they demand higher wages and the banks have realised they'll all go bust if they don't lend more sensibly.

The problem so many people have (including those on this website if the poll on annual earnings is to be believed) is that they have gotten used to spending freely. If they ran out of money they could always borrow some more and provided take home pay would cover the loan payments all was right in the world.

Even before oil hit $129/barrel the cost of running a Scoob was ludicrous. At 90p/litre for SUL and 25mpg the cost of fueling an Impreza for 10,000 miles was £1600. Average insurance must be £600 as a bare minimum while road tax cost £200 and servicing/tyres/brakes was at least another £500. So even before the fuel price increases the annual cost of running, not buying, a Scoob was £2900. For a lot of Scoobynetters that's 2 months take home and for the vast majority it is more than 1 month's. When you add the cost of buying the damn thing you're looking at several months income being spent on a car. And how many of these people are still going on nice holidays, buying fancy TVs and just about anything else they think they are entitled to?

I know this sounds harsh, but a lot of people need to wake up a smell the coffee. You're going to need to seriously adjust your spending habits to compensate for the permanent increases in fuel, food and mortgages. The decade of easy money is over and you're going to have to start taking responsibility for yourselves. As a starter for 10 you should be looking at spending 80% of your income and saving the rest. That's a sensible balance. And when you've achieved that you can start thinking about a pension because if you think you're going to be able to afford to live on the pathetic state handouts then you've another thing coming.

Stop whinging and grow up before it's too late.
Old 20 May 2008, 06:00 PM
RICH S202
Scooby Regular

Typically British attitude, bend over and take it!!!
And here's one of them now!!!! Knew it would'nt be long

Bet you walk like John Wayne. If i told you to jump off the Clifton suspension Bridge, would you do it????

Go fish..........
Old 20 May 2008, 06:11 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

And here's one of them now!!!! Knew it would'nt be long

Bet you walk like John Wayne. If i told you to jump off the Clifton suspension Bridge, would you do it????

Go fish..........
Wonderful. You can always rely on a total ar$e to help prove your point.
Old 20 May 2008, 06:15 PM
RICH S202
Scooby Regular

In your case a real slack Ar$e.

By the way you have no point
Old 20 May 2008, 06:20 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

In your case a real slack Ar$e.

By the way you have no point
Oh I do love this site sometimes. Instead of sounding like a petulant teenager how about to point out any flaws in my post? I won't hold my breath though .
Old 20 May 2008, 06:30 PM
RICH S202
Scooby Regular

Listen Pal, there are two sides to every story and in this case yours and mine. Why you have no point, is the same reason you're telling me i have none. Beg to differ on this but don't force your opinion on people, cause that is all it is. By the way, i have fought for my country in both Iraq and Afghanistan, i am not a teenager and think i deserve my say in this topic.
Old 20 May 2008, 06:42 PM
*pslewis*
Scooby Regular

Now Now Ladies ......................

Stop throwing petrol on the fire!!
Old 20 May 2008, 06:45 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Erm, actually there aren't two sides to this one. I just stated facts in my usual touchy-feely way. I salute you for your service to this country and suspect that the way the Government treat the armed forces has probably contributed to your view on this topic. When you get over your wholely justified and not inconsiderable hump I am sure you'll agree with my original post.

I'm off to enjoy an free evening in the sun on my mountain bike. Byeeeee
Old 20 May 2008, 06:54 PM
RICH S202
Scooby Regular

Watch out for cars then, cause the roads are quite busy these days. Later
Old 20 May 2008, 08:06 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Erm, actually there aren't two sides to this one. I just stated facts in my usual touchy-feely way. I salute you for your service to this country and suspect that the way the Government treat the armed forces has probably contributed to your view on this topic. When you get over your wholely justified and not inconsiderable hump I am sure you'll agree with my original post.

I'm off to enjoy an free evening in the sun on my mountain bike. Byeeeee
PMSL - you think what you said was touchy feely? Are you 'avin a laff?

The government is broke because they've overspent catestrophic amounts of our money on sh*t, just like Brown and Blair encouraged everyone else to overspend using borrowed money. The fact that they were stupid enough to do that without thinking about the consequences is irrelevant. I've had enough of paying for their f**k ups and that's why in July I'll be joining hundreds of other people off here and other motoring sites and demonstrating.

If you think nothing will happen by demonstrating the government has already won - hence Rich's comment - spot on btw mate.
Old 20 May 2008, 08:10 PM
Jeem
Scooby Regular

I can see what ur sayn skip a certain petrol company in hope they lower prices and others will follow, could work, mite not but theres 81385 members here so thats a start
Old 20 May 2008, 08:21 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
PMSL - you think what you said was touchy feely? Are you 'avin a laff?

The government is broke because they've overspent catestrophic amounts of our money on sh*t, just like Brown and Blair encouraged everyone else to overspend using borrowed money. The fact that they were stupid enough to do that without thinking about the consequences is irrelevant. I've had enough of paying for their f**k ups and that's why in July I'll be joining hundreds of other people off here and other motoring sites and demonstrating.

If you think nothing will happen by demonstrating the government has already won - hence Rich's comment - spot on btw mate.
I was being sarcastic with the touchy-feely comment . You're quite right, the Government has f*cked everything up. The trouble is that enough people we're happy with their excessive consumer lifestyles during the Blair era to keep re-electing them. We now going to have many years of correction where the excesses of the past are paid for. I'm afraid it couldn't be more relevant.

I'd be interested to know what you and the other demonstrators would consider a victory. You may prevent the next 2p of tax being added in October, but given the rate at which the fuel price is increasing you will probably spend more money on fuel during the demonstration than you will save afterwards. The only way you'll effect any real change is to wait for the next General election. Provided the Tories don't do anything stupid they should win by a landslide which should be large enough to ensure re-election next time round. That's the only way the Government will listen. There is simply no money available to pay for the sort of changes you and the other demonstrators are demanding. Sad, but true.
Old 20 May 2008, 08:29 PM
Lisawrx

I guess this is aimed somewhat at Blueblaster, but what was the need here for a rant about people's spending/government spending, and the fact they can't reduce tax? Unless I'm mistaken, chain mail or not, this was about targetting the fuel companies, not the government.

Rather than ranting back, what would be nice to see in an ideal world, would be at least a slight decrease in prices of fuel, which could be done by some drop in tax, perhaps not massive, along with the fuel companies reducing their prices a little, lets not forget they are making alot of profit, and if it is possible for one garage to offer the same product for a significant amount less than another, and still be in profit, then it is possible for others to follow suit, and not be at a loss, but not tear people's eyes out either. The price of fuel is getting out of hand, and take into account, the people who are moaning and whinging, are not all driving about in scoobs etc, I'd even stick my neck out and say a fair few on this site aren't even in those types of car, but economical car or not, doesn't mean people don't have the right to stand up and complain about ridiculous rises in price.

I give credit to anyone willing to take a stand, in whatever way they can, whether or not it will make any difference is debateable, but nothing will if people don't act. I can't understand anyone thinking it is ok for prices of anything for that matter increasing almost weekly, sitting back thinking that is fine, I'd be pretty annoyed if each week I went out for milk, I found it was more expensive than the week before.
Old 20 May 2008, 08:29 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster

Stop whinging and grow up before it's too late.
Lol what a pretentious *****
Old 20 May 2008, 08:31 PM
martiboy
Scooby Regular

I actually work at an oil refinary making petrol/diesel/jet fuel etc and I KNOW for a fact that we supply quite a few supermarkets.We also supply fuel to other well known fuel suppliers.So,for example, If you boycott say Esso and only use Shell then Esso will supply Shell so that Shell will be able to keep up with the increase in demand!!!!I hate the fuel increase as much as anyone but its only a small amount of their income comes from petrol.They also supply things like bitumin which make roads so should we stop using roads all together !!!
The amount of products that these companies supply is vast and so purley by boycotting fuel will not have a great impact.
Old 20 May 2008, 08:34 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

I'm fed up with the goverment expecting everyone to just bend over and take it, thats all. Fuel prices , 300 quid road tax, airport fuel tax, income tax,tax tax. Just don't want to be british and put up with it, the goverment are taking the **** and I'm fed up, end of..... So some of you that have ranted above please get off your high horses and make a suggestion then, or bend over for the hot poker

Sideways
Old 20 May 2008, 08:50 PM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Its good just people getting this problem out in the open.......
This country need smore than a fuel protest to put it right...... REVOLUTION!
Old 20 May 2008, 08:53 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

These threads have the best of intentions.

IT JUST WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!

SHALL WE TALK ABOUT REALITY??

I came back from London on a trip today.

I wouldn't pay the rip off prices FROM ANY OF THEM, BP< SHELL ESSO NONE OF THEM.

I tried before I got on the Motorway, I drove off the Motorway NOTHING JUST WEE WEE TAKING PRICES EVERYWHERE>

Gues what, the fuel light came on!!

I stopped & PAID £1.299 for POXY ULITIMATE!!

We haven't got the time to pratt about.

That's what they bank on.

Lick Spitles!!

Rant over.

Regards

Ripped Off Alan MaC
Old 20 May 2008, 09:01 PM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Maybe we should all go green and sell our cars and buy pogo sticks instead? No need for fuel then. Just a few mars bars

Think some people should not take life so serious

Chill Dudes!
Old 20 May 2008, 09:12 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way the government would listen would be if this country fell into recession, so the best way to hit them it to stop spending on consumer goods and just buy the essentials for living.

That'll have them panicking.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:12 PM
martiboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ricardo_wrx
Maybe we should all go green and sell our cars and buy pogo sticks instead? No need for fuel then. Just a few mars bars

Think some people should not take life so serious

Chill Dudes!
Problem with this is that pogo sticks have plastic and rubber components and plastic/rubber comes from crude oil so the oil companies still get their wedge !
Old 20 May 2008, 09:31 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't think that's true. If they controlled the spending on rubbish like think tanks, benefit fraud and pen pushers and health and safety do gooders who do nothing but tip money down the drain it would be a start! And how about charging foreigners for housing and nhs? So many obvious things could be sorted out just by reverting the crap legislation tony and gordon have inflicted on us!

Quick Reply: Sorry if its SIAL But Petrol prices lets fight back