Sponsored by:

I think someones looking to steal my car

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2008, 04:17 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think someones looking to steal my car

I noticed a car pulling up near my house several times over the last few weeks, different times in the night but by the time I get to window it goes so can't see whom/what car it is. There is no noise though, no car doors slamming etc.

This week my gf came home from work and let the dog out into the garden and it went mental barking. She put the light on and went out and heard a massive bang and the branches of the tree/shrubs moving and sworn she seen a person DEFINATELY not an animal. She called police.

Two days later, late at night she heard noises downstairs and went to investigate. When she was down she heard lots of banging upstairs (like Footsteps) I was away at the time and she called in tears scared. She ran out and drove to her parents in the car. Nothing was stolen/missing/out of place and no signs of entry so not sure if someone was in or not.

The police have said they will keep an eye on it but Im so tempted to just sell the car. I dont want to be scared every night that someones going to break in. Why can't you have anything nice? I have wanted a Subaru all my life and now I have got a lovely one, some scruffy little tw@t wants to steal it.

My car maybe up for sale very soon. Watch this space

Ps if its people doing research and reading forums for cars, if I'm in and hear you, I dont mind going to jail

Last edited by Clarkie172; 16 May 2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 16 May 2008, 04:39 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

Don't get rid of it just because of what someone might do, you've got to live the way you want regardless tho it does sound a bit dodgy whats going on. End of the day tho if it does go insurance will sort it, a hassle you don't need but don't be put off having a nice scoob because of some prats

I've got a bit of a similar thing here, stuff does get nicked from time to time and i'm sure the group that do it know the car is there by now, but live your life man

Oh and edit the end of the post just as a wild legalise what if
Old 16 May 2008, 04:42 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

I can't be held responsible for my actions if someone breaks into my house!

Steal the car if you wish but dont enter my house where my partner is!

Last edited by Clarkie172; 16 May 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 16 May 2008, 04:56 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most car thieves will want an easy steal-so just make it as hard as possible for them.If your car is on the driveway,try putting a PIR light over it-maybe one that either activates a buzzer inside your house or one that activates some recording cctv.Also,a dirty great big ram post in front of your car may put anyone off.
Think about a cooling off period if the occurences are happening more often,ie parking the car at friends for a week or so...
If you already have had contact with the Police,ask to speak to a crime prevention officer.They can advise you with all of the latest kit and where to purchase it.
If they want specifically YOUR car though(because of spec etc),it probably is only a matter of time.
Hate to agree with you getting rid of it because of scum and you should be able to live without this kind of grief,but you have to be a realist and you and your nearest and dearest are more important than a car.
One other thing,have a word with your neighbours about whats going on-eyes and ears are a Godsend.If you can get some kind of vrm and description for the car-would help Police.
Best of luck...

Last edited by billyray911; 16 May 2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 16 May 2008, 05:19 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Dont sell it. Increase the security or like posted above catch them at it.

You know their look out post is the bush that they were hiding in, so hit a few nails through some ply wood and lay it down on its back under the leaves and mud. a 2" nail through the foot would provide some nice DNA evidence for the police.

Obviously knock it out the wood first and say you found it by the car door after you scared them off.

Dont give in!
Old 16 May 2008, 05:24 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

if that was me in your situation i would be getting cctv, and one of those motion activated lights. obviously cost does come into it though. ht04 had a good idea by staying up all night. but if i was to do this id be sitting up all night with some mates just incase theres a few of them. also you could do shifts.

hope its ok though. your car and you and the partners safety.
Old 16 May 2008, 05:37 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

How about this. Move the car. Hire a garage for a month and store it in there. If the noises stop then bring the car back. If they then return it is fair to say someone is after it. In that case get rid of it. There is a reasonable chance you gf will be home alone when they come knocking and imagine how you'd feel then. If they are after the keys then security is no use and CCTV would have to connected up to a remote location or they'll just get the tapes off your gf. And in the meantime you have the anxiety of waiting for them to strike. Not worth the grief.
Old 16 May 2008, 05:38 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Yes I think Ill get a PIR light for the garden for now, that will be the first step
Old 16 May 2008, 05:41 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Get a CCTV camera put in mate, there not too expensive for a plug and play one, where is your car parked, off road?

Tbh, I try not to worry, its all insured and the retards around here can't wire a plug, never mind hot wire a car, and the car keys are well hid on a night, oh yeah, and they have to get past our 12 stone bullmastiff b4 they get owt lol
Old 16 May 2008, 08:13 PM
ISLANDMAGEEZER!
Scooby Regular

Yea mate dont let them make you sell it,if you've waited a long time for it then you deserve it! If the dogs a scary lookin fella keep him roaming free in the house at night,even if he's like my boxer (a big poof lol) its the barking that does the trick! once the barking starts i'd be down like a rocket with my alloy basball bat swinging like a fat bird on a rodeo bull Remember assulting a **** in your own property prob will result in you being done knowing the law in this country so when your done drag him on to the road and tell the police theres a drunk lying in the middle of your road,and let them sort it out!!!! Is he really gonna tell them he was in the middle of a bresk in?????
Old 16 May 2008, 08:16 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Looks like I'm the minority then. Sell it for peace of mind if you're certain you're being targeted for a theft.
Old 16 May 2008, 08:18 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I would make the house as secure as possible, most security features on your car will be useless if they break into your house and steal the keys. If you don't have a decent burglar alarm get one now, if nothing else it might help your gf feel safer. Unfortunately I am speaking from experience.
Old 16 May 2008, 08:34 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

i would do what people have said with the motion camera, make sure u set it up so that its really sensitive like if someone walks past it goes, also as said they break into houses to get the keys as modern systems are to hard to get through so i would buy a safe and put your car keys in it every night, if you can hide the safe thats even better but make sure it is bolted down, if ur still major worried and u think they will still take your keys there are places that can put a kill switch onto your car with a removeable key, they will struggle to move it with no ignition, also you could put the hand brake on hard and put it in gear so its not moveable if they would cut the cable, lol, all things to make it safer mate, im always jumping up if i hear noises, also perharps make sure u and your partner shut all the bottom windows., hope it doesnt come to anything bad, theviing scum
Old 16 May 2008, 08:41 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

If it was just me living here, id protect the keys with my life but she drives it more than me and I wouldn't want to risk anything happening to her. SHe uses it most days and works late shifts sometimes so not back until its dark. Id sooner leave the keys in an obvious place and if they did break in, they could swiftly leave not bothering with her/us. Im getting motion lights tomorrow so ill fit one where car is on the drive and one in the rear garden. If they illuminate, that will make the dog bark and wake us. If it scares her anymore though I'm afraid I will have to sell up and go back to a boring car
Old 16 May 2008, 09:21 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

If you do leave the keys in an obvious place just make sure they cannot be viewed from windows or doors (including someone looking through your letterbox), not because you are potentially making it too easy but it might help satisfy your insurance co in the event of a claim.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:54 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

It really does annoy me that you can't have anything nice without some little chavvy **** thinking he can take it from ya. Like you Paul I would protect the Wife/keys with my life but you have to be so carefull these days as the little ***** are cowards and carry knives etc which make the playing field very un-level.
I've got these two roaming the house, they may look like softies but when the chips are down they WILL eat you !!

Selling the car must be the last option, but i see your point the missus is more important than the car, I think!! ( Only joking )
Old 16 May 2008, 11:14 PM
narked
Scooby Newbie

I hate that crap, had 2 pikeys try to break in to my gaff last xmas but were rumbled so i bought Samson

Old 16 May 2008, 11:24 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your news. Fukin scum.

One of the reason I choose to keep mine stealth mate. Gold wheels and big spoiler attracts the wrong attention. Mines got a 3.5" h&s backbox and looks standard and its bmw silver colour, so no ****** bothers with it.

It's fitted with a tracker mate, leave the keys on the kitchen work top. If they take it they won't get far.

You could always swap me for my wrx sl.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:34 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
I can't be held responsible for my actions if someone breaks into my house!
ever been woken in bed by two masked men wielding claw hammers?

either sell the car or leave the keys somewhere obvious, like a kitchen worktop.

don't risk your life over a car.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:43 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
ever been woken in bed by two masked men wielding claw hammers?

either sell the car or leave the keys somewhere obvious, like a kitchen worktop.

don't risk your life over a car.
I agree totally.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:45 PM
Jeem
Scooby Regular

Had cctv b4 wasnt that great at nite it wasnt cheap system either, ive got a trailer to carry the scoob to track days an its padlocked wheellocked but the final trick is to block it in with one o the cars to stop anyone nickin it.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:52 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Step up security mate. I fitted a GJD system this tells me if anyone is moving around my home which trips either of the two keypads I have.

It wasn't cheap but does the job
Old 16 May 2008, 11:59 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Originally Posted by narked
I hate that crap, had 2 pikeys try to break in to my gaff last xmas but were rumbled so i bought Samson

Thats the funniest picture ive seen in ages
Lovely dog BTW
Old 17 May 2008, 12:09 AM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by narked

Spot on fella
Old 17 May 2008, 12:16 AM
BadJK
Scooby Regular

yep iv got a big wilson bat for ocasions like that......
Old 17 May 2008, 12:57 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Angry THE REALITY

It's obviously very unnerving and I agree from what you have said, it's possibly time to sell up.

Baseball bats and big dogs are not the answer.

Lots of these sorts of thieves will not be sneaking through a window. The door will be smashed off it's hinges or the current trend is via the patio window. 4 x masked up mindless thugs, pumped up on a mixture of coke, drink and adrenelin won't be stopped by bats or dogs. Most dogs will run to their owner(master) and crap themselves.(unless they are trained attack dogs)

If it aint garaged, and your feelings are correct then get rid.

Oh, and don't leave your keys on full view or you will get some 14 year old kid and his mate smashing the window for the keys. Imagine the mayhem they could cause in a 300 bhp car. A little irresponsible perhaps.
Old 17 May 2008, 01:36 AM
shustir
Scooby Regular

Had a similar incident myself recently. Smashed garage window and then then smashed back door window. This is a big glass panel and is easy to climb into the house. This was just after midnight and they made a right racket with the double glazed toughened door window. Woke me up and I went down to find a stone slab inside my house in front of the door. BAS****S

Anyway made me get a burglar alarm with sensor in my garage and I sleep a bit easier now. CCTV images will not be good enough to see anything especially in dark. Besided which they normally got hoodies up anyway.
Old 17 May 2008, 02:39 AM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Exclamation bttt

sorry to hear your story re prowlers ..... get yourself a floodlight
iv got one and its the best money iv spent scum bags dont like being in the lime light so this may put them off .

these are realy cheap to run as well so its win win situation .

Uniflood 70w Sodium Floodlight c/w Photocell & Lamp
Old 17 May 2008, 07:29 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Get a disklok and disconnect the crank sensor at night at least that way they cant start the car even if they do get the keys

Quick Reply: I think someones looking to steal my car