Sponsored by:

petrol again... groan.

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2008, 07:33 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default petrol again... groan.

right before the £100k a week ***** wavers start with the usual "if you cant afford the petrol, so im gonna troll your thread" b0llocks, dont bother

my question really is this,

has anyones area besides mine (n lincs) seen a 4p increase in v-power within the last two weeks? i begrudged paying £1.139 two weeks ago. just had to pop £20 to get me by until tomorrow and its now £1.179 a litre

i mean ****! is it really just gonna increase every week by 2 pence? surely thats not sustainable for mr average like myself. obviously said waver of mens genitalia above can afford whatever price for their solig gold astons etc, but is anyone else really feeling this now, mainly as an absurdity over financial deficit.

please discuss
Old 15 May 2008, 07:58 AM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

alrite mate

yeh same round by me buddy (warwickshire)when i got 20 quid last week(v power)it was £1.13 a litre and then when i filled up yesterday ready for japfest on sat it was £1.17 i work bloody hard to keep my scooby on the road and yeh i bloody hate all this up and down with prices all the time

anyway i'm with you all the way

cheers
nick.
Old 15 May 2008, 09:01 AM
Blacksimus
Scooby Regular

Its worse down here in London guys. Jumped to 1.189 yesterday eve.

This country has absolutely gone

I'm having to reduce the amount of times I take the scooby out now. Gotta do road tax next week and that is really gonna make my blood boil.

Its like I'm working 9 till 5 every damn day for the government. Are we not allowed to have some decent bit of luxury in our lives.
Old 15 May 2008, 09:01 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Cost me £95 to fill up the Carrera yesterday ffs.

and a garage in Morcambe is selling for £1.22 (though thats probably diesel)

Makes you sick when you realise the actual price is about 30-40p, the rest Tax.
Old 15 May 2008, 09:03 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Same thing in Derbyshire seems almost each day 1 has gone up, like has been said the diesel is climbing and climbing even more so.
Old 15 May 2008, 09:06 AM
Big_Dan531
Scooby Regular

i think my uncle paid something like £1.58 a litre on the motor way the other day
Old 15 May 2008, 09:17 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Guys, the current thinking is that things won't get better for a long time. the smart money is on oil rising to $150/barrel (currently about $125) by the end of the year and a significant number of speculators are taking a punt on $200. It comes down to a combination of a weak dollar, high demand, supply fears and speculation by investors. The thing is, if you were OPEC would you be happy to see prices fall significantly now that it has been established that we are prepared/able to pay these high prices? Would you heck! If the price starts to fall they'll just limit supply a little to keep it high. Makes sense. So don't think you can just ride this one out - if you can't afford to run it today you won't be able to afford it in 6 months either, unless you get a payrise.

Sorry to be so gloomy, but better to know the facts rather than rely on blind optimism.

Trending Topics

Old 15 May 2008, 09:29 AM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

they were explaining the breakdown of the costs the other day which is as follows (Oil company probably charging slightly more hence the rise)

67p tax
33p Oil companies
the rest to the compnay supplying

It is outrages the amount we are having to pay, Just look at the Americans who pay for a gallon nearly to what we pay for a litre.

If we all boycoted buying fuel and stopped using the vehicles as the government wants, And while we are at it not go to work because we cant afford to drive there It would go bankrupt this country and the govenrment would have to relook at the tax on fuel. Lets hope the 2p tax hike does not take place

But we as brits as which everyone knows are to soft and will continue to pay the costs of motoring that the government increases each year because they know they can, and we will pay.

But fully with you, and as a new scooby owner im sure ill be feeling your pain to
Old 15 May 2008, 09:46 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Even if I was a Millionaire, I'd still not like paying current petrol prices.

Going to wait untill the end of July before deciding whether or not to sell my Scoob.

Seriously considering either a cheap second hand Diesel to run around in and keeping something quicker for weekends only, or just getting a have decent new'ish Diesel as my only car.

Thinking about either an Audi 2.0TDI S-Line or Golf GT TDI. Both 170ps versions.

They're predicting petrol could hit £1.50/litre by the end of the year.

I could afford it, but chose not to pay it. Not at 20mpg anyway.
Old 15 May 2008, 09:51 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The other thing that really annoyed me last week was the way the media were going after Shell & BP.

Yes they've made huge profits. But they have to:-

A) Find a oil field
B) Construct the machinery to extract it
C) Transport it to a refinery
D) Build a refinery in the first place
E) Refine the Petrol
F) Transport it to filling stations
G) Pay everybody wage to make A-F happen.

What do the Government do? Nothing. Collect 2/3 of the total filling costs while laughing as people complian about the Oil companies.

Always annoy#s me why the media never say that although Shell made £3Billion profit in the first 3 months, the Government made £20 Billion (or what ever it is)
Old 15 May 2008, 09:54 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davmcc75
If we all boycoted buying fuel and stopped using the vehicles as the government wants, And while we are at it not go to work because we cant afford to drive there It would go bankrupt this country and the govenrment would have to relook at the tax on fuel. Lets hope the 2p tax hike does not take place
I agree that it's a rip-off, but if the tax on fuel was removed, income tax would have to be raised by 8p I don't think many people would like that either! Unless the government starts seriously reducing expenditure (which is highly unlikely) there is no way that they can do anything about it, even if they wanted to.
Old 15 May 2008, 10:21 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Andy: I know what you mean. I've got to the stage where I think twice4 before driving anywhere now, and am seriously considering selling the Scoob for a Leon, or Ibiza diesel.

I sort of expected this though. The oil companies tried for AGES to push the price per litre over £1, but buyer resistance always stopped it.

Once it went over £1 a litre, I said to watch the price take off. Unfortunately, I've been proved right. 2p per week rise is now the norm, and everyone just grits their teeth and pays it.

Meanwhile, HMG are coining it at the rate of £120 MILLION per WEEK , EXTRA in VAT, so THEY don't really want to see a fall......

£1.50 a litre or MORE before Christmas!

Alcazar
Old 15 May 2008, 10:25 AM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

its down to 2 things.

1. Supply and Demand

2. Bad exchange rate. (weak dollar)

Dont know if anyone remember's the 80's, when OPEC flooded the market with oil and the price was dirt cheap, bottled water was more expensive then 1 litre of oil!

Go Figure
Old 15 May 2008, 10:27 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The argument that income tax would have to rise to fund a cut in fuel duty is just absolute rubbish.

Remember what the government charges in tax on fuel is a percentage, so just think how much more they are getting in tax everytime fuel goes up.

Assuming tax is about 70%:

When petrol was 80p a litre they got 56p in tax for every litre sold.

Now petrol is £1.20 a litre they get 84p in tax for every litre sold.

This means they could knock 28p a litre off petrol tax and still be raking in what they were before. That's why the income tax argument is just another blatant labour lie.
Old 15 May 2008, 10:39 AM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

another one to fuel is road tax i think the government should combine the two and put 1p on a litre of fuel so every motorist would pay there way. Then abolish road tax so that it catches all the tax dodgers. what do people think on this?
Old 15 May 2008, 10:54 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
This means they could knock 28p a litre off petrol tax and still be raking in what they were before. That's why the income tax argument is just another blatant labour lie.
That might be true if they were only spending what they were before, but they're not. You might have heard that they've just had to borrow another £2.7billion - they're not exactly feeling flush currently, to say the least...

There's a link here that explains in more detail: Motorists fall foul of green lobby - Times Online - the 8p cut in income tax figure would be equivalent to both fuel duty and car tax.

Last edited by lordretsudo; 15 May 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 15 May 2008, 10:55 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

The argument that income tax would have to rise to fund a cut in fuel duty is just absolute rubbish.

Remember what the government charges in tax on fuel is a percentage, so just think how much more they are getting in tax everytime fuel goes up.

That's not quite right. There are two elements of tax. There is a fixed amount that currently sits at about 60ish pence per litre and then there is VAT at 17.5%. So, the Government does benefit from the price rise, but not by nearly as much as many people think.

Just for info, the Government would prefer the oil price to go down because it is proving to be the driving force behind the upward pressure on inflation. So we find ourselves in the unpleasant situation where the economy is slowing, but we can't give it a helping hand by cutting interest rates because that will fuel inflation. Similarly we can't reduce taxes to give people more money to spend because the Government is broke and the cuts in public spending that would have to follow would see them get even less votes at the next general election.

Anyone who thinks that Gordon Brown was a good Chancellor needs their heads examined. He destroyed the pensions industry and wasted ten years of low-inflation growth provided by China and India. Time will show he was possibly the worst ever. T0sser.
Old 15 May 2008, 11:15 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Thats not true matey.

Fuel duty is a fixed amout per litre, the only variable amount is VAT.
Old 15 May 2008, 01:45 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

Anyway, if you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Simple, so stop whingeing.