Sponsored by:

How quick is the new

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2008, 11:32 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How quick is the new

As the thread says how quick are the new Audi r8's had one trying to get me to race him this afternoon didn't fancy it and apart from that it was 3.30 this afternoon and I had my 2 kids and wife in the car. Was just wondering if it was the right place at the right time how would I fair (Classic Scooby 340+bhp with around 330lbs of torque) I myself think I would get mullered am I right as a m8 of mine thinks I wont be far off any thoughts. F**K they look nice though.
Old 07 May 2008, 11:48 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

414bhp & 1560kg ... don't think that you'd be too far off the pace Aren't Scoobs great

No contest though when it's the sound of the R8 vs a Scoob!

He might have you beat on looks as well

2007 Audi R8 Photo | RSportsCars.com

TX.

Last edited by Terminator X; 07 May 2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08 May 2008, 08:59 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Terminator X
414bhp & 1560kg ... don't think that you'd be too far off the pace Aren't Scoobs great

TX.
The really impressive thing is that the scooby has more torque!

Yep, they're great!
Old 08 May 2008, 09:48 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

My dads mate drives one and having been a passenger I can assure you they are f****** quick compared to a Scooby!

Never raced him though, but he reckons on a twisty B-Road he'd struggle to keep up with a Scooby. In a straight line however, the scooby wouldn't stand a chance!
Old 08 May 2008, 10:10 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
The really impressive thing is that the scooby has more torque!
That's meaningless, many TDi's (and the scoob above) these days have more torque than a Formula 1 car.

Torque gets muliplied using a gearbox and there's a measurement for this. Wanna know what it's called?
Old 08 May 2008, 02:33 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

R8s are supposed to do the 1/4mile in 12.5secs@113mph in which case a 340bhp Scoob could well give it a pasting (11.7secs@119mph).

Not sure just how long the road would have to be to enable the R8 to catch up and pass with its superior top speed.
Old 08 May 2008, 02:46 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

I guess driver ability (or insanity) would come into the equation here, and depending on the environment at the time (open country / built up area, etc, etc), it could go either way. I doubt either of you would destroy the other unless it was all about straight line, top end speed, then you'd lose.

Whatever - I'd still be having a go as I like to see what any other car can do
Old 08 May 2008, 02:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GONZO01
As the thread says how quick are the new Audi r8's had one trying to get me to race him this afternoon didn't fancy it and apart from that it was 3.30 this afternoon and I had my 2 kids and wife in the car. Was just wondering if it was the right place at the right time how would I fair (Classic Scooby 340+bhp with around 330lbs of torque) I myself think I would get mullered am I right as a m8 of mine thinks I wont be far off any thoughts. F**K they look nice though.
There quick.
Old man has an R8. Your scoob would probably fair pretty well at lower speeds, but once that V8 engine gets in breath it pulls like a train. Take into account it's slippery shape, and I'd say anything over say 80-100mph you wouldn't stand a chance.
It's not just that though. Torque is available in any gear at any revs. You may well keep up with an R8 while overtaking in traffic, but he'll probably be in a gear or 2 higher than you.

Was out in my old mans on Saturday. Driving my 05 STI PPP home afterwards felt somehow slow.

Think of the R8 as a 997 CS with the optional power pack on.
Old 08 May 2008, 03:28 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Think I would beat one without too much hassle unless were talking silly speeds!

Banny
Old 08 May 2008, 03:33 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dracoro
That's meaningless, many TDi's (and the scoob above) these days have more torque than a Formula 1 car.

Torque gets muliplied using a gearbox and there's a measurement for this. Wanna know what it's called?
Yes, yes all I'm saying is that it's impressive than you can reliably squeeze more peak torque out of a non-forged 2.0 litre turbo engine than Audi have chosen to put in their flagship V8 performance car, costing many times more.

Of course that's not the whole story!

In terms of bang for buck; they're great.

Ns04
Old 08 May 2008, 03:40 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

was up at bedford auto drome last weekend and there was an r8 there and to be honest i did not look that impressive on the track, seemed slow and sluggish obviously could of been down to the driver but there were amoung ohters a evo 6 and what looked to be a S204 on the track and they looked a shed loads quckier

just what i thought still it be worth giving it a go just to know that you almost can take one on!!
Old 08 May 2008, 03:47 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Bottom line is, how inferior would a new owner of an R8 feel when he see's a much cheaper car keeping up with him....Priceless....these ppl that have these cars seem to think they have a superior car if its quick in a straight line....driving is much more than just flooring it down a dual carriage way to see who has the "biggest ****" lol

I love it when you get those big 2ltr A4's or VW Passats or some **** rammed up your bumper on a straight trying to get you to bite, its priceless when you take a corner and leave them for dust and then watch in the rear mirror as their "boats" roll all over the place.

Ok, bit of a rant there, but im sure most like myself, get fed up of these idiots trying it on, all the time.
Old 08 May 2008, 09:09 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
Bottom line is, how inferior would a new owner of an R8 feel when he see's a much cheaper car keeping up with him....Priceless....these ppl that have these cars seem to think they have a superior car if its quick in a straight line....driving is much more than just flooring it down a dual carriage way to see who has the "biggest ****" lol
Don't be stupid. Yes there are some R8, 911, Ferrari owners that think the more you spend the faster it is, and it'll leave a horrible Japaneze saloon for dead. Most though (my old man being an example) buy an R8 because:-

A) They like the look of it
B) Would like to own one
C) Like having something different (Just like Scooby owners)
D) Can afford one.

Have a poll on here to see how many people on here, would rather have an R8, 911, Ferrari, Maserati etc over a Subaru if they had the money.

My old man never races anyone, and certainly wouldn't entertain a Subaru driver wanting a bit of fun down the road (I know I've tried ).
What he does do however, is take it out on a weekend and have a nice drive out in a car he takes pride in, and enjoy's the ownership/driving experience.
At 60 years old, he's left his boy racer days well behind him.
Old 08 May 2008, 09:11 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Ok, bit of a rant there, but im sure most like myself, get fed up of these idiots trying it on, all the time.
And I dare bet alot of R8, 911, Ferrari owners are sick of Scoobies & Evo's trying to bait them into a race to prove that their Japanese Saloon car is faster for far less money.
Old 09 May 2008, 07:23 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
And I dare bet alot of R8, 911, Ferrari owners are sick of Scoobies & Evo's trying to bait them into a race to prove that their Japanese Saloon car is faster for far less money.
Well not from myself so read the post again!

Btw, you totally missed the point, I never insinuated a Subaru was likely to be faster......I merely said they must feel slightly p1ssed off when a car that costs considerably less keeps up with them.

If I had a choice and money no object, of course id have something of prestige with the speed to match, id also keep something similar to an Evo or Scooby too, but yes Id know I was driving the superior more acclaimed car in something like a Ferrari, but if I couldn't shake some fvcker off in a Subaru or Evo etc, etc Id be a bit peeved aswell.
Old 09 May 2008, 07:27 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Don't be stupid. Yes there are some R8, 911, Ferrari owners that think the more you spend the faster it is, and it'll leave a horrible Japaneze saloon for dead. Most though (my old man being an example) buy an R8 because:-

A) They like the look of it
B) Would like to own one
C) Like having something different (Just like Scooby owners)
D) Can afford one.

Have a poll on here to see how many people on here, would rather have an R8, 911, Ferrari, Maserati etc over a Subaru if they had the money.

My old man never races anyone, and certainly wouldn't entertain a Subaru driver wanting a bit of fun down the road (I know I've tried ).
What he does do however, is take it out on a weekend and have a nice drive out in a car he takes pride in, and enjoy's the ownership/driving experience.
Don't be slack with me either ffs, it sounds from your reply that I had a personal go at your poppa...pmsl....calm yourself down and clear the steam out......I don't particuarly think and I quote;

horrible Japaneze saloon for dead
is the best line you could have come out with on a Subaru owners forum...
Old 09 May 2008, 08:26 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Thing is, we're not talking about a car thats a little bit cheaper giving it a run for its money, we're talking about one that can easily be less than a tenth of the price. So if the R8 owner thinks he has bought something special because he has spent a lot of money, then he should be annoyed.

I admit I quite like the looks of the R8, but cant see the rationale in buying one compared to the other choices out there - had a quick look on the web and new ones seem to be around £90K.

Look at what else that money will buy - if you arent dead set on a brand new car, you can take your pick of pretty much anything :

Italian Supercars - have the heritage, drop dead gorgeous looks, better engine sound. Much more effective for pulling slappers.

German cars - loads of different Porsches, BMW M's etc... A sorted Porsche I imagine would be a much better drive, and the BM's would be better if you wanted a luxury long distance sort of thing.

Silly Yank muscle cars - if you want big V engines take your pick

British - XK8's, older Astons, TVR's - nicer looks, great performance, bring a tear to old mens eyes.

Nutter cars - Arial Atoms, Nobles, Exige etc... - much better performance, half the price and more interesting.

Japanese - Choice of any modded Impreza, Evo or most Skylines that would leave the R8 standing.

I just cant see why given the choice of cars with similar or better performance,looks, pose value, luxury etc.... anyone would decide to by the R8 ??? I guess it is made to compete with the BMW M series more than smaller sports cars, but even then....
Old 09 May 2008, 10:16 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

is the best line you could have come out with on a Subaru owners forum...
I was saying what a Porsche/Ferrari owner etc would say about a Subaru, not me. I own one. Would be a bit odd me thinking that wouldn't it?
Old 09 May 2008, 10:21 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
I just cant see why given the choice of cars with similar or better performance,looks, pose value, luxury etc.... anyone would decide to by the R8 ??? I guess it is made to compete with the BMW M series more than smaller sports cars, but even then....
But the R8 is just as good as a 911. Probably even better.
My old man bought an R8 over a 911 because

A) He doesn't like 911's. Driven a few but never impressed
B) It's not a 911 (See 911's every day)
C) He like Audi's.

The new V10 engined R8 will go head to head with the 911 Turbo.
Old 09 May 2008, 11:33 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

I was saying what a Porsche/Ferrari owner etc would say about a Subaru, not me. I own one. Would be a bit odd me thinking that wouldn't it?
Fair enough mate
Old 09 May 2008, 11:56 AM
New_scooby_04

IME Exotica owners know exactly how potent Rice Rockets can be and aren't at all bothered if they can keep up or are faster! There is more to the decision to buy one of those cars than just performance (although it's a big part)

Likewise I know people with deep enough pockets to afford a piece of exotica who stick with there faithful Scooby/Evo as it's performance that matters to them above all else and there is more headroom and VFM in modifying a rice rocket.

Best example was a mate of mine (owns a BMW M3 convertible) who after watching my classic pull away from him and then going for a spin in my car with me, got out and proclaimed: "I want one of them as well as the Beemer"

Horses for courses!

Ns04
Old 09 May 2008, 12:10 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

IME Exotica owners know exactly how potent Rice Rockets can be and aren't at all bothered if they can keep up or are faster! There is more to the decision to buy one of those cars than just performance (although it's a big part)

Likewise I know people with deep enough pockets to afford a piece of exotica who stick with there faithful Scooby/Evo as it's performance that matters to them above all else and there is more headroom and VFM in modifying a rice rocket.

Best example was a mate of mine (owns a BMW M3 convertible) who after watching my classic pull away from him and then going for a spin in my car with me, got out and proclaimed: "I want one of them as well as the Beemer"

Horses for courses!

Ns04
Come on fella! Ain't it about time you updated your scooby profile with specs and pics!!!111oneoneone
Old 09 May 2008, 12:23 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bottom line is, how inferior would a new owner of an R8 feel when he see's a much cheaper car keeping up with him
Not inferior one little bit - infact, if i was tonked by a turbo'd Nova while driving my R8, i'd still be feeling quite smug about having the Audi (all hypothetical of course)
For the record - i don't like R8's
Old 09 May 2008, 12:28 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Not inferior one little bit - infact, if i was tonked by a turbo'd Nova while driving my R8, i'd still be feeling quite smug about having the Audi (all hypothetical of course)
For the record - i don't like R8's
Thats what I was getting at, if I had a Ferrari and got tonked by some sh1tty modifed piece of crap...yep id know who had the better car, but I just can't help thinking id be a bit disalousioned (spel ) that Id paid out all that and been beaten by a hen hut...for that money, you want it to excel in everythign and against everything really.

Not that im likely to ever own a Ferrari to find out btw

Maybe im also serioulsy overlooking my competitiveness here also, I should chill out a bit, I just get easily fvcked off lately...lol
Old 09 May 2008, 12:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Come on fella! Ain't it about time you updated your scooby profile with specs and pics!!!111oneoneone
LOL True, I've almost done it with the threads I've written about my mods

Will have a go later!
Old 09 May 2008, 12:37 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

LOL True, I've almost done it with the threads I've written about my mods

Will have a go later!
I can roughly remember, but would be nice to read, as that might be my next route.
Old 09 May 2008, 01:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I just get easily fvcked off lately...lol
I don't think anybody noticed.
Old 09 May 2008, 05:32 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Rather wasteful of a R8 IMHO Not that he'd beat the Scoob even if he tried though

TX.

Old 09 May 2008, 06:15 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i'd much rather have a gt3 for the 90k being quoted for an r8 which by the way looks good, but looks almost the same as a lambo gallardo from the side which looks better overall
Old 09 May 2008, 08:59 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I really don't care if some looney in a 2-litre Nova is quicker than me, don't care if it only cost him the same as my wheels and tyres....
I love my Scooby,
and if I win the lottery and buy an R8....
I'd still smile when a crazy young'un in an STI slapped my R8

LOL

DunxC