Wierd idle problem! but drives a-ok

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2008, 08:56 PM
scooby-doo-where-r-u
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd idle problem! but drives a-ok

Hi all,

I've got a bit of an intermittent idle problem on my Sti v 4, basically on Tuesday night I went to drive the car for the first time in about 3 weeks, it all started ok, but after a few minutes the revs dropped really low and the car sounded like it was only firing on three! A couple of seconds pass and its fine again, but when I went to drive off it did it again. I got out of the car and checked under the bonnet and everything looked fine and the car was running ok once again.
I took the car for a drive and whilst driving you wouldn't know that there was an issue, but when stopping on a few occasions the problem rose its ugly head once more, but pull away and a-ok!?!?!? Very confused at this point..... turned around and went home and didn't get the problem again until I parked up in the driveway!

Initially I thought that something might be damp as it wasn't great weather wise, but I have now ruled that out of the equation as it happened again today and it’s been dry. The problem doesn’t seem consistent as I drove about 30miles today and the problem only popped up when I returned home!

Might also be worth mentioning that just prior to the “dodgy-ness” the idle was about 1100 and slowly went down the regular 800ish rpm

I've done a quick search, but couldn't find anything that really matched the symptoms above!!!!! So....

Any ideas as to what it could be?
Can these bits be checked or cleaned?
Where can I get a replacement if required?
and how much is it going to cost?

Any help really appreciated.
Old 25 April 2008, 10:36 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem today, but with my revs seemingly increasing for no reason. It turned out that I'd knocked the aircon on and every time it kicked in the revs rose, really worried me until I discovered what it was.

Not sure if it'll be any help
Old 26 April 2008, 08:30 AM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

could be maf sensor, this is a common symptom of irregular idle wants to be looked at ,can cause problems otherwise best to get it checked out
Old 26 April 2008, 01:24 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

i would say maf or lambda sensor , have same problem with mine , but then mine is a my00
Old 26 April 2008, 02:07 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

I had a simular problem, turned out i had broken the porcelin on the spark plug when i done an oil and filter change.
Old 26 April 2008, 03:54 PM
scooby-doo-where-r-u
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

Have an update though!!! The throttle response isn't that what it was; blip the throttle and a tad later the revs rise! Anyway, was doing some ice work on the car so disconnected the battery and after re-connecting all seemed ok, the throttle response was instant, but the problems hasn't gone..... It seems to only do it when I drop the clutch though! The car wasn't or hadn't been moving either! Just sat on the drive!!!!

It doesn't do it every time, out of the 10 times I dipped it earlier it must have happened about 7 times! It’s never done this before now and I haven’t added or changed any bits recently.

Once again any help appreciated

Last edited by scooby-doo-where-r-u; 26 April 2008 at 11:36 PM.