Alfa to Subaru....advise.

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2008, 09:14 AM
MrBos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa to Subaru....advise.

Hi all,

This is my first post here so go eassy on me.

I have always like subaru`s but not enough to purchase one till now, as I have been madly into Alfa`s. I have owned a GTV, 156 SW a GTA and at the moment a GT 3.2 V6.
But with 3 children the 2 doors is really a problem.
Not only ythat but to be honest I am getting bored with Alfa`s, having owned the best models I have nothing to go for now.
Realiablility is really P155ing me of as well.
That enough of that as there will alway be a part of me that loves tha Alfa`s.

Time for a change and need advise on a 54 plate STi PPP. What to look out for, serviving cost and fuel ecomony. What colours are the most resaleable....and are they quick....
That was a joke!!

Cheers . Kev
Old 20 April 2008, 10:22 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

My advice would be to try and stretch to an 05 plate. They come with DCCD, better wheels and better looking centre console

Do you want a PPP? I would buy an STI cheaper, then spend it on mods.You will have around 300BHP with a PPP but if you got an sti then modified it, your looking around 330bhp

Running costs are quite expensive, Fuel you should use V-Power around 118p a Litre costs about £65 to fill and you will get about 220miles on a tank. Servicing is every year or 10k miles. Parts are expensive but they are good quality and reliable.

Its a buyers market out there at the minute with fuel being expensive and new tax brackets (£440 tax for next year) so choose the right car at the right price. You should be able to get them to sell at a good price as they are not shifting currently!
Old 20 April 2008, 10:51 AM
klidder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrBos
What colours are the most resaleable

Black or the WR Mica Blue (common blue) are the colours people tend to go for. Dealers would be interested in any colour but you would get considerably less if you had a colour other than the two mentioned above - official subaru dealer told me this! To be honest I would't go for any colour other than the two anyhow.
Old 20 April 2008, 10:56 AM
ISLANDMAGEEZER!
Scooby Regular

Yep totally agree an 05 IMHO is a lot more up to date as most of the lntrior carries through to the 06- 07 models.
And going for a standard STI again IMHO would be the move to make! You can mod up and tinker till you hearts content or your wallets empty All wellllllllllll worth it though!
Old 20 April 2008, 12:18 PM
MrBos
Scooby Regular

Thanx Clarkie & Island for the quick advise,

is the 05 the 2.5 litre engine then and what is DCCD. Then one I am looking at is a 9 serise and the guy said it had limited slip on both front & back and you could drive it in FWD, RWD or 4WD....as I know nothing about scoobies it this good?
Old 20 April 2008, 01:10 PM
chiroman
Scooby Regular

Hi Kev,

You need to drive a few Imprezas before deciding.

I bought first Impreza Sti WR1 (2004 Petter Solberg special edition) after looking at a few others. There was one for sale here recently WR1 Owners Club :: View topic - For Sale WR1 - £16,995.

The WR1 is an STi with Prodrive mods to suspension/wheels/fueling/mapping etc. 315bhp

The one I drive, which is std, needs driving all the time on 'B' roads as the bumps and camber changes tend to move car around a bit, it doesn't let you relax, although ok on smoother roads. mpg 15-21. If you really boot it expect lower figures, although presence of family is a good regulator of speed.

30k service £480.

You will notice also the steering is not as direct as the Alfa and there is little steering feel from the road but they corner as if on rails.

The four wheel drive system has a DCCD - driver Controlled Centre Differential. Try this link WR1 Owners Club :: View topic - Subaru WRX STI DCCD Explained

Imprezas are noisier inside and out than an Alfa. The PPP gives more power but will make it boomier inside, and there are threads on soundproofing which can help, see 'noisekiller' website.

I drove an Alfa 156 GTA before Impreza and really liked it in particular very direct steering, and great style, but was a bit concerned about reliability. Be interested in your views of GTA.

One guy summed it up for me. 'The Alfas are Drivers cars and the Imprezas are Performance cars.

Do lots of research and check out JDM Japanese Domestic Market imports which many guys here own.

Enjoy,

Mike
Old 20 April 2008, 01:17 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

I think you are making a good choice. Reliability compare to an Alfa is going to be a big improvement.
MPG I would imagine would be similar and the car is alot more practical for a family.

Trending Topics

Old 20 April 2008, 01:42 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Everyone who claims to be an enthusiast MUST own an Alfa, if only briefly LOL

Avoid PPP as the more performance can be had for less cash ! Your 05 car will be almost out of warranty anyway, so no point in paying over the odds.

DCCD varies the amount of torque front to rear, good on track (?)

As a grown-up I get 270 to a tank full of V-Power, with about 340 bhp after a re-map.

HTH

DunxC
Old 20 April 2008, 03:18 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrBos
Thanx Clarkie & Island for the quick advise,

is the 05 the 2.5 litre engine then and what is DCCD. Then one I am looking at is a 9 serise and the guy said it had limited slip on both front & back and you could drive it in FWD, RWD or 4WD....as I know nothing about scoobies it this good?
The DCCD allows you to vary the amount of torque going to the front or rear but it is ALWAYS 4WD
The "Not being a true enthusiast until you've owned an Alfa" is nothing but an urban myth! Twaddle! If laying in bed at night worrying about what might go wrong with the thing next, equates to being a "true enthusiast" then yes, it may be true!
My daughter has a GTV and I fear the phone ringing with "Pa, Marios' got a little problem"
Having said all that, I actually love them. It's just that the Alfa design team should work for Honda or Subaru!
JohnD
Old 20 April 2008, 05:59 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Also - a different comment about PPP.

If your buying a used car - and its a choice between an STI and an STI PPP, go for the STI PPP; the difference in price would be near nil between them from what I've seen in the market recently, and £500 for a remap would see you hit 320bhp.

I would agree that buying a used STI that is out of warranty and *then* paying Subaru to fit PPP wouldn't be the best idea financially or from a performance perspective though.

Last edited by Prasius; 20 April 2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 20 April 2008, 06:18 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Sorry ! JohnD, you have no soul....

I loved mine till it rusted to death !

LOL

DunxC
Old 20 April 2008, 07:08 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=dunx;7822284]Sorry ! JohnD, you have no soul....

Sounds like it doesn't it! But as I said, I love 'em but I sometimes have difficulty in equating enthusiasm with aggravation!
Jennies GTV is 8 years old now but has an aggravation factor I find unacceptable in a modern car. Believe me, the list of problems makes "interesting" reading!

I loved mine till it rusted to death !
A few years ago that would have meant 4 years?

Joking aside, they're great cars with character.
JohnD
Old 20 April 2008, 07:10 PM
XR-Wayne
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Everyone who claims to be an enthusiast MUST own an Alfa, if only briefly LOL

Avoid PPP as the more performance can be had for less cash ! Your 05 car will be almost out of warranty anyway, so no point in paying over the odds.

DCCD varies the amount of torque front to rear, good on track (?)

As a grown-up I get 270 to a tank full of V-Power, with about 340 bhp after a re-map.

HTH

DunxC
270 miles to a tank? Im running 330bhp on my 2003 WRX and Driving nomally not thrashin it I get 170 miles to a tank, I always wondered if I had a fuel leak when I had the STi injectors fitted. I might get them checked.
Old 20 April 2008, 07:50 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

No you're just young and stooopid....

Sorry, as you grow up you will learn to be more relaxed about giving large everywhere.

On the last club run some people had to stop for fuel, whilst a few of us had barely used half a tank....

Having loads of torque means not having to rev the nuts off the car to keep up !

And I'm very old and VERY boring...

LOL

Duncan
Old 21 April 2008, 07:57 PM
TJ82
Scooby Newbie

glad i stumbled on this thread as i am planning to do the same thing buy a 05 STI seens loads with the PPP but wondered if they were worth it or not as plan to tinker with the car anyway.

Also helped on running costs etc, now to try find one
Old 21 April 2008, 09:58 PM
chantelle xx
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dunx
On the last club run some people had to stop for fuel, whilst a few of us had barely used half a tank....

Having loads of torque means not having to rev the nuts off the car to keep up !

And I'm very old and VERY boring...
Makes sense tho dunnit
Old 21 April 2008, 10:01 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Also - a different comment about PPP.

If your buying a used car - and its a choice between an STI and an STI PPP, go for the STI PPP; the difference in price would be near nil between them from what I've seen in the market recently, and £500 for a remap would see you hit 320bhp.

I would agree that buying a used STI that is out of warranty and *then* paying Subaru to fit PPP wouldn't be the best idea financially or from a performance perspective though.
Agree - difference in price shouldn't be much, also if you want to modify then the PPP starts with a better exhaust (and maybe fuel pump on STi?)
Old 22 April 2008, 10:02 AM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

I've recently gone from a 156 v6 (with a lot of chassis upgrades koni's Eibach bits and bobs and brembo 4-pots) to a pretty std 02 wrx. I found that the interior design of the Alfa far nicer (did have lovely red momo leather) and of course the fuel ecconomy... The subaru is far quicker but not as fast top end, wrx being a brick with wheels. Leg room for the driver is crap in both cars - my MK2 golf was better! The noise the v6 made was as nice - but different- as the wrx when they've had their pipes opened up a bit. Handling wise in the dry and once I'd stop fiddling with the konis, the alfa was good but the Impreza feels more 'planted' Running costs I don't think are that different, the cambelt change on the 156 was twice as much as the wrx. And try changing an oil filter on a v6 without the arms of an alien...

I've had two alfas, three if you include my wife's 147 and have loved them all - the 155 espically. But I am really enjoying the Subaru too.

I found there is less of a 'stigma' attached to Alfa ownership - might even be sympathy
Old 22 April 2008, 06:37 PM
Leic_Matt
Scooby Regular

Don't do it. Stick with Alfas. This one in particular, the 8C:

PistonHeads Headlines
Old 22 April 2008, 07:54 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

LOL !

Made me smile Chantelle XX, which bit makes sense being OLD ?

Or being boring ?

DunxC

P.S. 258 miles and the light hasn't come on yet, and I've been playing a new game.... Make the Defi's dance, I love record and playback, it's SO COOL !
Old 22 April 2008, 08:01 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi bigvern !

Nice Alfas....

I remember my last dealer service, they also sold Alfa's so while I'm waiting for my Scoob.... salesman smarms up and offers a run out.

Waffle, waffle, 4wd, blah, blah, so off we go....

Two roundabouts and a dual carriageway later I'm done. Head back to the show-room and he's ready for me to sign....
I decline, and offer him a ride in mine. Same route half the time and he looked like he was about to throw up !
I politely said I didn't think an Alfa could withstand the kind of punishment my Scoob could, he walked away....

Still love 'em tho'.

Duncan
Old 22 April 2008, 08:26 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

From beauty to the beast about sums up that transition.

I also get decent mpg from my car since getting it remapped, but I have tons of torque and the ability to use 6th gear being the wrong side of 30.
Old 22 April 2008, 09:04 PM
Leic_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
From beauty to the beast about sums up that transition.
Yeah Alfas look better, but you can't see the outside of the car when you're driving can you? If the car pleases you in terms of driving sensation then looks should be a secondary consideration.
Old 24 April 2008, 08:09 AM
MrBos
Scooby Regular

Wow...nice alfa`s Bigvern, and so many replies.Thanx
Really not sure wether to go for a subaru now, with the high servcicing costs and the fuel consumption, didn`t think the mpg would be worst than my V6 3.2. the misses is saying about the Dark Side(BMW) for you that have not owned an alfa.
I really need a car for every day use and one thats not going to punch me in the face every time I see a garage forecourt! But I really want to own a Subaru, but as the wife drives it more than I do I have really got to pursade her on this.
Want to get down and see this at the weekend. She might change her mind when she drives it.
Autotrader - Subaru Impreza 4 Door Saloon 1994 cc 2.0 WRX-STI PPP
Old 24 April 2008, 08:20 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

That looks a nice car, albeit quite expensive. I paid around that price a year ago for my 05 STI PPP, in white (hence rare) with only 9k miles. I would check it has the full service history before going to see it (it should have four stamps) as this isn't mentioned in the ad.

A friend at work has had a 3.2 Alfa (not sure if this is the GT or the GTA? It's the one with the big red Brembo calipers) from new. It's now around 4 years old and he does about 20k miles a year in it, including driving to Italy once or twice a year. It's a very nice subtle looking car, the only thing I don't like about it are the cloverleaf wheels. He reckons he gets around 28mpg on average, whereas I get around 20 in the Scoob...
Old 24 April 2008, 09:25 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

You can pick up a hawkeye (last of the saloon models) STI up for £16k these days, so I think that is too expensive. I don't like gold wheels on a silver car either.

You also get the 2.5ltr engine in the hawkeye which I think helps with fuel consumption due to the increased torque. You don't have to rev the **** off it to get the power and there is less lag.
Old 24 April 2008, 09:45 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this one the JDM cars are somewhat better equipped than the uk cars, the twin scroll turbo engines are a dream lots of torque low down and it doesnt really feel like a turbo, more like a big v6 engine but it has more than enough goodies (including the A-DCCD and quick rack steering) to keep you happy
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...dm-import.html

Tony