Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly old bat's just pranged my car..!

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2008, 08:08 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Silly old bat's just pranged my car..!

Fu#*$Łg idiot..!

Car was parked up and empty, the first thing I knew about it was a young woman came into the building where I was asking if anyone owns a blue Subaru..

She and here mother had just witnessed the incident and as the woman drove off (after getting out to look) thought she'd try to find the owner..

I'm very grateful to these people and they've given me their details (they will act as fully co-operative witnesses if necessary..)

Basically, the osf wing, directly above the wheel arch there's a severe scape of about 6-8", which appears white and flaky..

I've reported it to the police as a failed to stop after a RTA and have been given an incident number. I now need to go to the local station to fill out an accident form. Hopefully the silly cow will be given a slap for failing to stop..!

So basically, whats my next step..? I'm hoping it's just paintwork, as there doesn't appear to be any panel distortion.

Get a few local quotes on the repair and then what, can I keep my insurance out of it, as it obviously wasn't my fault..?

To say I'm p155ed off is an understatement, however I'm so grateful to the people who saw what happened and bothered to find me..
Old 07 April 2008, 08:12 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Makes you wonder if someone did it on purpose... Hope you get it sorted pronto, btw anything on a CCTV camera or details of the reg?
Old 07 April 2008, 08:16 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Hi, yr best off phoning your insurance and give them the other vehicles details and the witnesses, they will contact her insurance who will contact her, either she'll admit it or ignore the letters at which she will be found to be at fault and this won't effect your no claims or premiums.
Had it happen to me in my Leon Cupra R was also a woman driver reversing.
Sorry to hear yr Scoobs been in a scrape makes you feel so depressed looking at it doesn't it? I know the feeling.
Old 07 April 2008, 08:17 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

So sorry to hear that M8.

At least somone came & did the decent thing.

That's what P***es me off, we pay Insurance, F**K knows how much RT, and for what?

An incident No, Insurance hassle etc.

Good luck.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 07 April 2008, 08:36 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys..

The witnesses took full details (reg., colour, make/model, even an id, lol), so they did exactly the right thing and I'll be sending some nice flowers (ie from a PFS.. ) as a thank you when it's all sorted..

I suppose I will have to contact my insurance, it's just I remember using a company called Angel something iirc a few years ago, that acted as my representative on a claim that obviously wasn't my fault. Not sure if that kind of thing still happens..?

I just hope it is just paintwork and no panels have to be disturbed..
Old 07 April 2008, 08:48 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Just deal with your insurance company, theres a lot of those no fault claim people about and there only out there to line their own pockets. Good luck with it.
Old 07 April 2008, 08:53 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

^^^

Will do now I've thought it through and had a cuppa..

How long do these things normally take to get sorted, provided her ins co are paying and she doesn't try it on..? Fortunately it's been a while since I've been in this situation..!
Old 07 April 2008, 11:13 PM
harry_p1
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear mate
Most awful feeling and the hassle no one needs
Old 08 April 2008, 01:02 AM
Monkeydile
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
^^^

Will do now I've thought it through and had a cuppa..

How long do these things normally take to get sorted, provided her ins co are paying and she doesn't try it on..? Fortunately it's been a while since I've been in this situation..!
Sorry to hear about this mate, I know how you feel as someone went into the back of me in June All done through insurance and other ins company admitted liability so it was only a matter of getting the repair work approved and done. Took about a month in total which included getting quotes for work etc.

As long as they admit liability you'll be sorted pretty quickly

Hope it all goes well for you mate
Old 08 April 2008, 06:33 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

only thing is though even with a non fault accident on your record, insurance companies dont like to see it come renewal time.

or at least not for young drivers like me. even though both werent my fault, premuims are still up

good luck anyways.
Old 08 April 2008, 08:42 AM
gazza_howard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
only thing is though even with a non fault accident on your record, insurance companies dont like to see it come renewal time.

or at least not for young drivers like me. even though both werent my fault, premuims are still up

good luck anyways.
I know what you mean I got hit from behind at some traffic lights last year. She admitted responsibility, car was taken away for repair next day and returned good as new. Elephant said it wouldn't effect my premium as it was a non fault claim and all costs were recovered, did it f*** come renewal time they doubled my premium, fell out with them and ended up moving companies to one who didn't take the p*** because some woman couldn't drive properly.
Old 08 April 2008, 10:42 AM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazza_howard
I know what you mean I got hit from behind at some traffic lights last year. She admitted responsibility, car was taken away for repair next day and returned good as new. Elephant said it wouldn't effect my premium as it was a non fault claim and all costs were recovered, did it f*** come renewal time they doubled my premium, fell out with them and ended up moving companies to one who didn't take the p*** because some woman couldn't drive properly.
thats nice to hear cos the woman who knocked me off my bike the other week is insured with Eliphant, so if they doubled your premium for a non fault what are they going to do to her for an at fault claim...lol

Jasonius hope you get everything sorted out soon

Graeme
Old 08 April 2008, 12:24 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you fella,nothing worse than that gut wrenching felling when summit's happened to your pride and joy

But looking on the bright side,you are a VERY VERY lucky puppy that someone even bothered to find you and tell you about it - most people don't bother these days i'm afraid.

Hope the old bat get's what's coming to her,to get out and look and then drive off is unforgiveable.

Last edited by renny; 09 April 2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08 April 2008, 01:59 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to report it to the Police as well-still failing to stop and probably failing to report.Your witness found it easy enough to put her head through the door and ask,so why didn't the driver???
Dependant on the actual location,you are still covered if it happened in a car park as its a public place.
Just a thought...
Old 08 April 2008, 06:27 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has she reported the accident yet - must be over 24 hours?
if she hasn't then isn't it a case of failing to report an accident which is an endorsable offence?
Old 08 April 2008, 06:43 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

All been reported. Police will now write to reg owner asking for details of driver at the time and they may well prosecute for failing to stop..

Notified my insurance and there's two ways to go. Either get it done asap via my insurance (I'll have to pay my Ł250 excess..) and claim it back from her insurance via my legal cover. Or the other is for my legal cover to deal with it directly with her insurance co (ie not using my ins co). The only thing is this may take months..!

Looking at the car in better light today the paint has been removed from the top/side edge of the front bumper, with around a 2cm graze to the side of the headlight and grazes (most of which may polish out) along paintwork to front of wheel arch, where paint has also been removed..!

Pressing on the side of the bumper it feels like there might be a broken clip behind as there's slightly more movement than the other side. Does anyone know how the bumper fixes at the sides, are there clips and if so are broken ones replaceable..? I'm hoping I don't need a new bumper.

On the plus side there doesn't seem to be any panel distortion, although I'm not an expert so this needs confirming via a bodyshop.

On the whole I feel I'm actually quite lucky, in that at least someone witnessed what happened and let me know..
Old 08 April 2008, 07:39 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Then its upto you mate. Can you live with the car looking like it does for a while? When it happened to me I was on the phone every couple of days chasing my insurance, up at the end of the day thats what you pay insurance for. I would personally hang out for a bit, as when the silly cow gets a letter she'll more than likley brick it and admit liability once they threaten legal proceedings. Hope this helps.
Old 08 April 2008, 07:58 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

^^^^

That's what I'm hoping will happen. I'll give it a few weeks and take it from there..