Sponsored by:

scooby or evo

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2008, 10:11 AM
carlos-sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scooby or evo

i may get a one sided opinion but just sold the range and going back to a jap turbo but which way should i turn previously had a classic wagon so know they tick all the boxes but do i go to the dark side lol
carl
Old 05 April 2008, 10:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes... Evo if you can afford a good one !
Old 05 April 2008, 10:22 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Price wise = a scoob

But I think Evo's just have the edge tbh, saying that, if you can throw some money at a Scoob it aint always one-sided.

What about a Skyline?
Old 05 April 2008, 10:32 AM
carlos-sti
Scooby Regular

skyline has not got enough room in the back for the kids it aint all about the speed its other factors aswell reliabilty parts avalability INSURANCE and the room in the back the evo i am going to look at is not a bad price for a 5
hhhhmmmmmm
Old 05 April 2008, 10:51 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carlos-sti
skyline has not got enough room in the back for the kids it aint all about the speed its other factors aswell reliabilty parts avalability INSURANCE and the room in the back the evo i am going to look at is not a bad price for a 5
hhhhmmmmmm

Sorry mate, you just said "jap turbo" and nothing about all the rest so thoUght Id mention a Skyline

Id go for the Scoob then.

Evo's need servicing more regualry, more insurance, obviosuly both are similar fule wise.

Both are decent family cars too, I bet you know deep down which you want anyway..lol..
Old 05 April 2008, 11:32 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

i think scoob, both similar cars but scoob has the sound , evos have the high service prices, and they need alot of services.

that solved it for me lol
Old 05 April 2008, 11:37 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

scoob everytime, evo not really an everyday user if your doing big miles serviceing is cripleing and when they go wrong ouch its big bucks, scoob on the other hand is much cheaper to run and dont need serviceing as often, for road scooby every time, for track would go for the evo
Old 05 April 2008, 12:05 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Depending on the Evo and how old the kids are the ride will be crippling for them!

On reliability, usability and practicality I'd say Scooby.

As others have mentioned, out of the box the Evo maybe a faster car point to point but this is why they cost what they do, some minor and relatively cheap changes get the Scooby to the same level as an Evo equivilant.

Whats your budget?

G
Old 05 April 2008, 01:54 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

Purely on looks alone, new Evo X over new Scoob STi. I'm afraid to say my current Scoob will be my last.....

If you're looking as previous models as it seems, then again on looks alone I would say Scooby, however I have never driven or owned an Evo, and as others have stated, there are a lot of things to take into account.

Last edited by STi_Si; 06 April 2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added
Old 05 April 2008, 07:25 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

5k extra just cos you dont like the look think new scoob a grower myself think evo has been designed totally for the yanks it looks huge imo but back to the topic go and drive each one with a similar price and power and make your own mind up i and most on here chose the six star demon lol good luck mate
Old 05 April 2008, 07:58 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From some of the opinions on here.... who has actually driven both and I mean a proper good drive and not just for 10mins. IMO you can't just say get x or y, without knowing more about what is required.

Carlos-sti,
It all depends on what you want from the car and your intentions for it's use. Both the STi and EVO are the same but different in so many ways.

If you were comparing for instance an EVO IX against a UK STi (on car personalities alone):

1) If you wanted the car for every day use with compliance and being easier to live with, I would suggest a Sccob.

3) If you wanted a car for weekends only and hence was not too bothered about it being somewhat rawer, then get an EVO.

IMO the only Newage Scoob that is as focused as say an EVO would be something like a Spec C.

After owning a number of different Scoobs and other performance cars over the years, I to am looking at a different marque (so many good cars and so little time to enjoy them lol). After my recent experiences of the EVI IX, I will surely be getting one, but really because I like the rawness of the Spec C and want a change, so this fits my requirements perfectly. If it was for everyday compliance, I would be getting another STi.
Old 05 April 2008, 08:04 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My uncle had an evo 5 the year they came out...what a car! The one thing that always comes back when thinking about it was the brakes - they were feckin unbelievable! So why are the brakes on an Sti of the same year total cack??
Old 05 April 2008, 11:25 PM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Well guys, ive had both (MY94 STi) and now own a Evo 5 GSR. Every day drive it has to be Scooby along with the flat-4 soundtrack but if its just a weekend toy then its Evo. So easy to work on for doing your own servicing like changing the oil, plugs etc. For instance have you changed the plugs on a Scooby (then you'll understand). As for regular servicing it costs under £100 every 6months or 4500miles to do the rear diff which i think is quite good value (for me anyway).

I do a few country run outs with the boys from MLR and believe me after a few full tanks of SUL i need to have have a lie down but what a thrill but with the Scooby it didnt have most of thrill factor for me,not been biased towards the Evo. Just my opinion cos ive driven both hard...

So in a nut shell i'll have the Scooby for work and the Evo for the weekend to really kick *** around those twisties!!!!!
Old 06 April 2008, 11:21 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

totally disagree cars of similar power will do similar times the feel of a car can be subjective dont understand why people always try to pull the scooby down its up there with the best and should be respected not pulled down dont understand why people do this totally pointless
Old 06 April 2008, 12:26 PM
ruislip
Scooby Regular

ive had an evo 6 and currently own a 05 wrx (running 285bhp). The evo was an awesome car with great looks and performance. Very big inside to and servicing wasnt that much of a problem. Thing is i kept seeing scoobys around and everytime one went past me it sounded the bollocks....! My evo sounded like a ford focus..! Im please with the scooby ive got as a few mods here and there will bring it up to the level the evo is. All this plus great sound and reliability.

Scooby all the time....!
Old 06 April 2008, 04:06 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sti Spec C
Old 07 April 2008, 06:40 AM
carlos-sti
Scooby Regular

i take on board all the comments and am looking for an evo as it is only a weekend drive but willl still go see a couple of scoobys as the flat four does sound so nice lol

carl
Old 07 April 2008, 10:35 AM
Evo Unknown
Scooby Regular

As has been said already in this thread - it's vital to try before you buy.

I've previously owned an Evo l and have driven an Evo VIII. I personally think that any of the more potent Scoobies (276bhp as standard) as well as anything well modded, will easily be on a par with a satandard Evo.

Sounds like you're very keen on the Evo V, which looks great and is bigger dimensionally than a Classic Scoob.
I hear that a few 5's and 6's are beginning to give up the ghost a bit now though...like classic scoobs can do - so still very much worth checking that the Engine's in good health.

Mark (STI Type R)
Old 07 April 2008, 02:07 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx9181
totally disagree cars of similar power will do similar times the feel of a car can be subjective dont understand why people always try to pull the scooby down its up there with the best and should be respected not pulled down dont understand why people do this totally pointless

I do agree mate, I have thought heard more ppl going to Evo's from Scoobs than vice versa, unfortunately that tells a story really, I love scoobies and I do know where your coming from thouhg, a lot of ppl think they can "have a go" against a good old scoob, often coming out second best when they realise they are still as good and as fast as the best out there.
Old 07 April 2008, 02:17 PM
Ben2563
Scooby Regular

I love my scoob but my mates selling this and after looking round it Id have to say Evo on this ocassion.

Evo 9GT
Old 07 April 2008, 02:20 PM
Ben2563
Scooby Regular

But dont get me wrong, there are some lush Scoobs out there and quicker ones as well. Not a negative...
Old 07 April 2008, 05:54 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ruislip
ive had an evo 6 and currently own a 05 wrx (running 285bhp). The evo was an awesome car with great looks and performance. Very big inside to and servicing wasnt that much of a problem. Thing is i kept seeing scoobys around and everytime one went past me it sounded the bollocks....! My evo sounded like a ford focus..! Im please with the scooby ive got as a few mods here and there will bring it up to the level the evo is. All this plus great sound and reliability.

Scooby all the time....!

well typed my man
Old 07 April 2008, 06:28 PM
bossurk
Scooby Regular

i to have had both my evo 6 was a fantastic car and now for the past year i have got myself a 55 plate sti type uk. both standard cars and both the same power i miss a back screen wiper which i had on my evo. there are
a few things good and bad i could talk about all night the sound of the scoob is just fantastic BUT IF I HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE AT THE END OF THE DAY IT WOULD BE A SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBY AND I CANT TELL YOU WHY
Old 07 April 2008, 08:53 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Subaru : WRX STI TYPE UK WITH OPTIONAL TSL 333 PACK

scooby obviously. faster than alot of evos.
Old 07 April 2008, 11:40 PM
BadJK
Scooby Regular

had both and it has to be said that the evo never fails to put a smile on ur face however when they break they are very expensive......