Sponsored by:

Evo more than a scoob?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2008, 10:49 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo more than a scoob?

Is it just me... or are evos a lot more to insure than a scooby?
Seems strange that they would be, because performance wise they are roughly in the same band and both just as desirable.

Am considering trading in the Rex for an evo 8 FQ-300, but the quotes I've been getting back are at least £750+ more than a Hawk Eye Sti Type UK.

Last edited by D.O.M; 31 March 2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 31 March 2008, 10:58 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

I've heard that evos are suffering a huge loss at the moment for insurances companies. I think it was a claim rate of about 90%, and not sure if they were paying out £1.20ish for every pound they were taking in, in premiums.

This could be the reason?????
Old 31 March 2008, 11:00 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

yeah i found that before i got the sti.......quote for scoob was £630...cudnt get an evo for much under £1k.....

altho i dint try an evo with a plan who im with now..im sure they wud do the business.....
Old 31 March 2008, 11:17 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

I haven't tried to insure an evo but should imagine there alot higher than a scoob. They must be mental cars to drive starting at 320bhp. Didn't look into insurance but from what I can gather they do 15miles per gallon, and you have to service them every couple of thousand miles. You don't get performance for nothing.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:21 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

IMHO it's hard to "trust" an Evo to get you out of trouble (keep your foot in !), un-like an Impreza...
which wasn't full of ecu's doing the hard work !

DunxC
Old 31 March 2008, 11:28 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
I haven't tried to insure an evo but should imagine there alot higher than a scoob. They must be mental cars to drive starting at 320bhp. Didn't look into insurance but from what I can gather they do 15miles per gallon, and you have to service them every couple of thousand miles. You don't get performance for nothing.
True. I was looking at an my05 evo8 260 in summer 2007, and the guy showed me his service book which had like 6 or 7 ralliart stamps on it already!

But the car's a weekend toy, so not too too worried
Old 31 March 2008, 11:36 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
IMHO it's hard to "trust" an Evo to get you out of trouble (keep your foot in !), un-like an Impreza...
which wasn't full of ecu's doing the hard work !

DunxC
My mate used to own a lancia integrale evolution. The last one before they stopped selling them in the uk. It would not slide at all and just go around corners. Is that the same thing with the evo's. The thing is my wrx slides so i now were the limit is. I'd much prefer this than flip the car over! From what I can gather evo's are ok on level surfaces but struggle on anything bumps or dirt.
Old 01 April 2008, 07:36 AM
P1 SUB
Scooby Regular

My mate used to own a lancia integrale evolution. The last one before they stopped selling them in the uk. It would not slide at all and just go around corners. Is that the same thing with the evo's. The thing is my wrx slides so i now were the limit is. I'd much prefer this than flip the car over! From what I can gather evo's are ok on level surfaces but struggle on anything bumps or dirt.
Drive an evo 8, its surprising how easy they are to slide.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:30 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Proper cars don't flip over unless they hit something. Probably only early Suzuki Vitaras and early A-Class Mercedes were notable for doing that! Every other car will slide when traction is lost. It's just not always easy to control it. I had an Integrale and never reached this point, but the saying went that if it did happen, you should just put your foot down even more and this would help all 4 wheels to grip and it would then correct itself. I never drove it on a track so never dared try it! I just enjoyed the "orthodox" grip round corners. Maybe others have been more adventurous than me.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:56 AM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I think you may also find that Evo's dont come with trackers as standard, where as UK STi's do. (thats what the Mitsi salesmen told me anyways when i asked the question)

Also, they arent as safe as an Impreza which means the chances of liability for injury for occupants is increased (hence more premium again)
Old 01 April 2008, 09:44 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

When I was looking at an Evo FQ320, I got a quote from A-Plan, which was quite a lot more than I was paying with them on my STI. The bloke I was speaking to said that Evo's are regarded as being a considerably higher risk than STI's, despite being supposedly the same insurance group (20). Maybe the fact that they are rarer (hence more expensive spares?) plays a part too?

Edited to add that trackers don't seem to make any difference to premium IME.
Old 01 April 2008, 09:55 AM
klidder
Scooby Regular

Although both Group 20 (STi and EVOs), they may not necessarily be considered the same class by the insurance company's. The insurers have their own scale of Groups, sometimes varying from 1-35, 1-100 etc. So for example a group 20 in "our" groups does not mean it's a group 35 or 100 with the insurers, although you would expect the top end group from our scales to be the top end of the insurers.

The underwriters decide how they classify each car. In essence they look at car, see how many are insured with that car then see how many claims are made on that car. As someone stated earlier 90% are under claim. That being the case the insurance is going to be very very high. I wouldn't be surprised if the EVO and Lambo for example have the same quotes.

All the above is what an Insurance Company told me when I questioned them about their classifications.

Also I gather EVOs require service every 4.5k miles? Apparently they are very safe due to all the electrics that come into play.
Old 01 April 2008, 10:07 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

They may be the same group 20 but it's how they are loaded by the companies. As stated Parts, Servicing, Performance and location will all add to the cost. My Import Leggy is cheaper than my UK WRX Wagon was???????

No logic really!
Old 01 April 2008, 10:11 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
I've heard that evos are suffering a huge loss at the moment for insurances companies. I think it was a claim rate of about 90%, and not sure if they were paying out £1.20ish for every pound they were taking in, in premiums.

This could be the reason?????
Sounds about right
Old 01 April 2008, 12:18 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EVO is a fantastic car IMO and the various IX's that I have taken out over the past couple of months have been fantastic. It's horses for courses but I think they are an awesome bit of kit, if you want something slightly more raw than a normal STi.

As regards to insurance quotes..... I havent had any real bad shocks. Tesco wanted just under £700 for a brand new MR FQ 360 and Keith Michaels smashed that quote by quite a bit! Very impressed with Gary at KM and he will undoutedly get the insurance when I finally get the car I want. For me (i.e. location, age, ncb and car experience) the insurance was not a problem imo.
Old 01 April 2008, 12:22 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

^^^ Looks like someone's defecting?

Recently went from a heavily modded WRX to a stock VIII and yes the premium went up. Not by a huge amount though, I'll have a better idea of cost come renewal time.
Old 01 April 2008, 01:51 PM
Evo Unknown
Scooby Regular

I owned an Evo l about 3 years ago and it cost me slightly more to insure then, than my STI Type R does now - so roughly comparable.

Regarding performance, I'm still on my honeymoon with the Type R and its DCCD after only a couple of weeks, but It feels as fast as my old (300bhp) Evo l and a lot more interesting with it.

A friend has an Evo VIII - great car, drove it once only, but I do prefer the feel of the Scoob...slightly less anodyne...

Mark