Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chipped/cracked windscreen and Insurance??

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2008, 05:05 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chipped/cracked windscreen and Insurance??

Was out y'day and realised that a small chip has suddenly turned into a 6-8" long crack.

Its not in my line of vision but I don't like driving around with it like it is.

My question is, can this be replaced on the insurance for free or is it only small chips that can be done for free or are covered?

Its obviosuly going to need a new windscreen.
Old 23 March 2008, 05:16 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

mine is 50 quid excess
Old 23 March 2008, 05:21 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Aye, just had a look at mi insurance and mines same, never had to ever go down this route so was unsure on what I was gonna have to fork out, I think they do chips at no extra cost but obviously the windscreen etc is gonna be something.

Anyone know who a-plan use for windscreens?
Old 23 March 2008, 05:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You pay the XS - usually £60 and it doesn't affect your NCD.
Old 23 March 2008, 05:26 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

not sure but i've read on here that you need to watch them like a hawk , sometimes they climb on your car etc. i'd go round with who ever turns up and point out there are no scratches dints
Old 23 March 2008, 06:05 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Not long had exactly the same dilemma.

See here: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...en-sorted.html

It's not down to A-plan, they're the broker, it'll be the insurance company who decide who you can use. Look at the top of you policy to see. Mine was Groupama iirc and they use National Windscreens. TBH, I was worried as I'd never heard of them, but they did a top job..

Just a few pointers:

Phone A-plan and get the details of the fitter to use, they will supply you with a number to call.

Insist on a genuine Subaru windscreen and a new trim surround ordered using your VIN from a main dealer (which National told me I needed..). If they try and fob you off with one of their own put your foot down, as there are loads of different versions and 10/1 they will get the wrong one..!

Go to them rather than having someone come to you if at all possible. Also, tell them you want their best man or two to do the job (I had manager/trainer and senior fitter do mine) and show them there's no marks on paintwork before hand. They should do this anyhow.

Check new screen before cracked one removed: VIN slot/window and shading along the top are things to watch out for..

Finally, insist on watching and if there's something you're not happy about say so. They should use a black primer paint to reactivate any old bonding and to seal any minor scratches (which can be inevitable).

It's a bit of paranoia, but at the end of the day worth it IMHO as the windscreen is an integral part of the body rigidity/crash structure..
Old 23 March 2008, 06:10 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Default ..

Having mine done by autoglass on Wednesday, all I paid for was the excess which is £60, they even reckon that the windscreen supplied will be bronze tinted as the factory one is...
Old 23 March 2008, 06:53 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K18LLR
Having mine done by autoglass on Wednesday, all I paid for was the excess which is £60, they even reckon that the windscreen supplied will be bronze tinted as the factory one is...
Snap! Also having mine done by AutoGlass on Wednesday, costing me £60 excess (doesn't affect my NCB etc), only difference being I have a choice of green tinted front screen or blue tinted (going for green as it's the closest match to the factory tinted glass I have on at the moment).
Old 23 March 2008, 09:34 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Guy's if you're having a genuine Subaru replacement ordered from Subaru using your VIN (ie as you have in your car now) then there shouldn't be any choice..! If there's a choice it's either a copy or the wrong screen..!

Do yourselves a favour and insist on a genuine screen (they are quite a bit more expensive the the 3rd party copies, that's why they'll try and put you off..!

Here's mine as delivered to fitter from dealer awaiting fitting:

Old 23 March 2008, 10:51 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I've got a crack in my windscreen which is growing. Is the UK Sti windscreen the same as the JDM MY 04?
Old 23 March 2008, 11:29 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

IIRC jdm cars have a different tint..!?

Go through your insurance and insist on a genuine one via dealer/vin. That way you WILL get the same screen as OEM fitted..!
Old 23 March 2008, 11:33 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jasonius
IIRC jdm cars have a different tint..!?

Go through your insurance and insist on a genuine one via dealer/vin. That way you WILL get the same screen as OEM fitted..!
Cheers. Armed with a lot more info now.
Old 23 March 2008, 11:56 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Not long had exactly the same dilemma.

See here: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...en-sorted.html

It's not down to A-plan, they're the broker, it'll be the insurance company who decide who you can use. Look at the top of you policy to see. Mine was Groupama iirc and they use National Windscreens. TBH, I was worried as I'd never heard of them, but they did a top job..

Just a few pointers:

Phone A-plan and get the details of the fitter to use, they will supply you with a number to call.

Insist on a genuine Subaru windscreen and a new trim surround ordered using your VIN from a main dealer (which National told me I needed..). If they try and fob you off with one of their own put your foot down, as there are loads of different versions and 10/1 they will get the wrong one..!

Go to them rather than having someone come to you if at all possible. Also, tell them you want their best man or two to do the job (I had manager/trainer and senior fitter do mine) and show them there's no marks on paintwork before hand. They should do this anyhow.

Check new screen before cracked one removed: VIN slot/window and shading along the top are things to watch out for..

Finally, insist on watching and if there's something you're not happy about say so. They should use a black primer paint to reactivate any old bonding and to seal any minor scratches (which can be inevitable).

It's a bit of paranoia, but at the end of the day worth it IMHO as the windscreen is an integral part of the body rigidity/crash structure..

Great post