Sponsored by:

LOOKING AT BUYING A 93-94 WRX AUTO INFO NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 01:59 PM
rich-zs-180
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOKING AT BUYING A 93-94 WRX AUTO INFO NEEDED

Hi everyone I currently own a 2001 mg zs 180 which I love to bits but with the lovely bombshell that darling droped in the budget meaning my car will be re-banded in band L theres no way im paying £440 a year in road tax so I have strated looking for a pre 2001 performance car now I have done rover turbos to death and have always had a soft spot for the early evos and scoobs, now I have come across a 1994 L plate wrx that I like the look of with good history no silly mods (just a supper dragger exhuast) is owned by my brothers mate so has always been well cared for since he had it and has recently just had a full box rebuild £1200 a turbo rebuild new seals ect £210 cambelt change and new alternator ect and shes covered 101k now I can have thios car for the price hes been given on trade in which is bassicly bellow £2k.

Now what I want to know is what to look out for on these cars what are the common fualts, what are the common expenses and what are the auto boxes like I have had a honda prelude with a auto box and that was good fun as it was triptronic I presume the scoob box is just a normal auto with sports mode but is it smooth and not jerky like alot of auto boxes and do like take much more than standard power? if not is its easy to convert to manual? also is it much slower than the manual version?

im going to view the car at the weekend so want to clued up on what im looking at so any help will be great

anyway thanks in advance for any help given.

cheers rich
Old 18 March 2008, 02:20 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

dunno bout the auto box fella not many on here really . id give it a good run first but tbh i woudnt touch it
Old 18 March 2008, 02:49 PM
ImprezARex
Scooby Regular

My wrx is for sale mate its a 1994 black wrx with all the paperwork and fsh from new. Mods include hks exhaust, apexi power fc, hks headers, 550cc injectors, sti4 tmic, uprated brakes, uprated fuelpump, 73000miles, 11mnths MOT, 5mnths TAX. £3250 ovno. Pm if interested.
Old 18 March 2008, 03:12 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

plenty of scoobs out there for sale mate (like the one above) so look around before u buy . id stick with a manual
Old 18 March 2008, 05:52 PM
rich-zs-180
Scooby Regular

was looking at the auto as its know to me and I know it has history and has been looked after, not saying the above hasnt as I have pm'd to get details as Im quite interested but it is harder to come across them with good history and havent been thrashed to death dont want to sell my zed and end up with silly bills for repairs.

do the scoobs engbines handle high millege well Ive read somewhere they can suffer from ovaled bores is this a common problem or just a few misstreated ones
Old 18 March 2008, 11:40 PM
scoobydann
Scooby Newbie

i thought this on an mr2 i had but as soon as i bought it i realised how much fun and how much i wanted a manual one so when i bought mine i wanted for a manual one and said to myself dont even think about an auto one but its personal preference
Old 19 March 2008, 12:09 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have a 1998 Forester T/tb import with an auto box. I bought it after driving Legacy turbo estates for 7 yrs.
You do have to adjust your driving style somewhat to the auto, but obviously really easy in urban traffic. You either like the auto or not, it is a real case of personal preference and how you want to drive. I have had the T/tb for 6 yrs, regular servicing and the autobox is bullet proof, changes are smooth and quick, no clunks or jumps. Engines are sound as long as they are serviced as per book, don't cut corners ! Both the old turbo Legacy's that I had reached 95K+ and were still running smooth, the Forester has 86k and has only cost the service and usual consumables (and a few mods) but nothing has broken/failed on it.
Drive the car and see how it feels, there are lots available if you don't like the auto box.

JBL
Old 19 March 2008, 05:39 PM
BURTON
Scooby Regular

Default auto

I have a 96wrx jdm auto wagon and its the only auto i have ever liked. If launched right it will def put a smile on your face. It is so relaxing when around town yet through the twisty stuff you wont have any probs keeping up with most things in power mode

the only problem i have had is the header tank split (but could on any classic) replaced it with a forge one and no problems. its just done 102,000 kms and is still a litle darling
Old 19 March 2008, 07:55 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Running a 95 Wagon auto.. great in traffic, but also shifts when it needs too. If you are thinking of converting it to a manual forget it, just buy a manual in the first place

An auto is not a bad buy, its not the greatest box in the world, but it is eagert o shift down and redlines happily