New WRX Owner - Security Question

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 12:17 PM
scoobasaurus
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New WRX Owner - Security Question

Hi,

May be swapping my R Sport Wagon for a WRX shortly... Just interested to know how other people feel about leaving their's in car parks etc...

I never have to worry about the R Sport, with it being more of a shopping car, what are people's experiences of their WRX's attracting envy scratches, dings, or getting knicked from car parks?

Do you keep these things garaged, on the drive, clamped etc? or am I being paranoid - I live in a pretty quiet neighbourhood, with very few chavs about, but you never know...

Steve
Old 18 March 2008, 12:19 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Disklok to slow them down, then three dogs will have time for a meal !

LOL

DunxC

P.S. My favourite is a hidden kill switch for the power to the fuel pump !
A pain every time tho'.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:23 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I worry about whatever car I am driving TBH, I take care of my stuff and worked hard to get it. My advice is just enjoy driving it and make sure its well insured. Yes its going to get dinged, scratched but no more than any other car in my experience. If you park miles away in the tesco carpark some bu66er will still park next to you in an empty car park ! I do however have a workhorse car that I use to go places where the scoob would stick out as a target.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:52 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
I If you park miles away in the tesco carpark some bu66er will still park next to you in an empty car park !
Why is that It always happens to me - I find a really isolated spot - manage to park leaving a load of space between my car and the next bay and some muppet parks so close I cant even get back in the car I also use my shed (94 Rover 316) to go to places where I am worried about security issues and never even bother to lock it....it hasn't gone yet
Old 18 March 2008, 01:14 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Dings are my enemy - I polished the car recently and saw so many new dings that I hadnt noticed before - even on the front wings!!

Damn the tin foil doors on my classic! Its currently in a shop getting de-dinged!
Old 18 March 2008, 02:20 PM
scoobasaurus
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for your thoughts guys... just been to look at an 05 WRX wagon... looks tidy, but I can tell it's been on their forecourt for a couple of months.

I'm not sure about the security on an 05 car... it has the normal subaru key with two buttons on it, but also a "laserline" thing which seems to involve a plugin key and another fob transmitter/transponder thingy... Anyone heard of these? reliable? Seems a lot of buttons to press and things to plug in - plenty to go wrong!
Old 18 March 2008, 02:23 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

Originally Posted by WRX Blues
Why is that It always happens to me - I find a really isolated spot - manage to park leaving a load of space between my car and the next bay and some muppet parks so close I cant even get back in the car I also use my shed (94 Rover 316) to go to places where I am worried about security issues and never even bother to lock it....it hasn't gone yet
always happens to me to , empty car park , go shopping ,come back and there is some ****** parked next to u and has dinged your door? it must make them feel more secure parking next to someone or something !

always stick me disklock on aswell , to be sure
Old 18 March 2008, 06:30 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

The security on a MY05 WRX is pretty good but it's worth getting a Tracker for peace of mind. As others have said, a steering wheel lock of some kind is a useful deterrent. There used to be stories on here about people getting car-jacked but they have gone quiet now. However, it's not worth worrying about this kind of thing -- just enjoy your car.

As for car parks -- Scoobies are made out of thin metal (saves weight!) and are pretty prone to dinks, so it pays to find out of the way places in car parks. Being discrete helps too: best get a wagon!

If you can overnight it on a drive or in a garage, that will save you on insurance.

The worst car we ever had for theft and damage was a Vauxhall Astra, so that should put things in perspective a bit!

Welcome to Snet!
Old 18 March 2008, 06:38 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobasaurus
Cheers for your thoughts guys... just been to look at an 05 WRX wagon... looks tidy, but I can tell it's been on their forecourt for a couple of months.

I'm not sure about the security on an 05 car... it has the normal subaru key with two buttons on it, but also a "laserline" thing which seems to involve a plugin key and another fob transmitter/transponder thingy... Anyone heard of these? reliable? Seems a lot of buttons to press and things to plug in - plenty to go wrong!
The wife has on of these laserline attachments on her key fob (Mini).
It is an immobilizer fitted as an add on.
In the case of the Impreza you looked at, it could have been fitted as additional security, or if it is a European import(very common) then I dont thik they came with immobilizers as standard so this may be why its now got a Lazerline.

Security............for me a major issue. Your car must be garaged (dependant on where you live I suppose) and as for car parks, they do get damaged, stolen, and are targets for carjackers etc so be aware.
Old 18 March 2008, 07:23 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobasaurus

my last scoob had a laserline alarm/ immob fitted which over-rode the factory system so to lock/unlock you just had the alarm fob to use.
the extra tag was in case the battery went flat in the remote so you had to touch the tag onto a base? on the dash
Old 18 March 2008, 09:37 PM
scoobasaurus
Scooby Newbie

ahh... laserline all makes sense now, thanks guys... It turns out the car was imported from Malta before being sold through one of the cae supermarkets here in the UK... so, yes, it would have needed the imobiliser fitted...

I've spotted an 04 plate today with 45k on the clock... going to look tomorrow... wish me luck! Insurance with Liverpool Victoria came back at 400 quid fully comp with class 1 business use!!! I guess it has something to do with my thinning hair and 40th birthday
Old 19 March 2008, 08:09 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you get a certificate for the alarm as most insurers want to see this (as proof of cat 1 fitting)