Classic Impreza Tuning options

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2008, 04:25 PM
juniper berry
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Impreza Tuning options

All,

After posting last week about a bugeye sti, it was suggested that i might want to look at classic scoobs too.

Now, i'll firstly point out that im talking uk only, not an import as i dont want to change insurers mid policy (greenlight dont insure imports)

I have seen a nice classic scoob (2000 plate with 65k)- totally standard and in great condition, which would be just what im after. However, in terms of tuning, what sort of options do I have? I dont want to go mental- I think standard they have circa 220bhp? Are we talking an exhaust and a remap to get somewhere in the region of 270bhp? Im not after big boost levels as I want the car to be driveable and maintain longevity. But im thinking the relatively low weight and 250-270bhp would be more than enough to keep me entertained

Handling wise id be going down the route of some eibachs or similar (not after fully adjustable setup) and some anti roll bars and maybe a polybush setup. Brakes id prob go uprated pads and braided lines, as ive heard that the standard setup is pretty good. Oh and id def have to get a nice anthracite coating on the wheels...thats my "thing"!

Hopefully that should give me a decent fast road/occasional track car whilst still keeping it sensible for commuting. Is that right, or are there any major flaws to that plan- is there such thing as a remap on the early scoobs??

I know what to expect, price wise, for the zaust, suspension and brakes, but what of the ecu changes if they can be done- what sort of costs are we looking?

cheers
Old 17 March 2008, 04:32 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Full decat or sports cat if you want to be legal, Green panel filter, a remap from a reputable company, Removal of resonator box and a cold air feed fitted, better plugs and maybe an STi fuel pump.

Oh and dont forget to upgrade the brakes at least, no good being able to go and not stop eibachs and drop links and people swear by a geometry set up

Welcome aboard mate - its expensive but addictive

My old classic had 260ish and was a lovely drive
Old 17 March 2008, 04:44 PM
juniper berry
Scooby Newbie

cheers chief!

that list sounds reasonable enough and not likely to put too much strain on the stock internals. Who are the reputable guys for a remap in your opinion?

currently running a modified ST but the idea is to free up a little cash but I still want to get something that gives me a rush to drive (but still maintain its useability). Totally with you on the brakes front- learnt how much even a modded setup can make when increasing the power so it would be the first thing i do! (even some decent pads make a massive difference and at 80quid or so, should be a must do on all cars i rekon..)

im thinking that about 5k on a good classic and another 1k on mods (tops) would get me a very well setup car thats not going to break the bank for me
Old 17 March 2008, 07:17 PM
TheJesus
Scooby Regular

why not get one with those mods already done, must be loads about that have been sensibly modified by decent and well respected tuners? In fact thinking about it a mate of mine is looking to off load his 2000 Classic (UK model) and that's a V reg MY99 with the bilsteins, exhaust, apexi filter and mapped by Ric Wood. Has around 65-70k or so now and it's white. Also has the STI body factory fitted iirc
Old 17 March 2008, 07:34 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juniper berry
cheers chief!

that list sounds reasonable enough and not likely to put too much strain on the stock internals. Who are the reputable guys for a remap in your opinion?

currently running a modified ST but the idea is to free up a little cash but I still want to get something that gives me a rush to drive (but still maintain its useability). Totally with you on the brakes front- learnt how much even a modded setup can make when increasing the power so it would be the first thing i do! (even some decent pads make a massive difference and at 80quid or so, should be a must do on all cars i rekon..)

im thinking that about 5k on a good classic and another 1k on mods (tops) would get me a very well setup car thats not going to break the bank for me

I know someone in our club that has just bought a new age STI and will be selling his Classic, Even though its done 90k its lovely, come over to a Smacs meet we have a couple of members from N Wales that bob over