Sponsored by:

LPG Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2001, 12:00 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul M,
I looked into this a while back. There shouldn't be a problem if you can find someone to do it on a Scoob. The only person I could find was in Holland. (I'd give you the details but I've lost them). The other downside is that it costs around a grand and you will probably lose a few BHP if you go for "Dual Fuel" (you can run the car on gas or petrol, but your ECU will adjust to suit the lower RON.) There are not enough suppliers of LPG around to risk a single fuel conversion where you have the ECU reset to run on 100 octane and give back the lost BHP.
If you get this sorted and it works OK, be sure to post the results, as I'm sure there would be a large queue forming for the conversion.

Old 05 January 2001, 12:01 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I phoned a couple of suppliers local-ish to me, who both said that LPG + turbo isn't recommended, but others on the board found suppliers willing to give it a go.

Try a search on google for "lpg uk" as there's some starting points on there.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 05 January 2001, 12:07 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Try:
John Lokes on 01162 608813
Key Autogas Conversions in Leicester
I spoke to him a while ago, seems very Knowledgeable and keen, knows his stuff. I may well give it a go.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 05 January 2001).]
Old 05 January 2001, 12:50 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

Just remember to come back by ferry if you get it done in Europe. Can't use the Tunnel if you have an LPG tank.
KF.
Old 05 January 2001, 12:50 AM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Paul,

I know of at least one Audi A4 Turbo Quattro that runs on LPG no problem. Shouldn't be too difficult to do a Scoob. Don't know what the warranty situation would be like.

The fact that a car has a turbo shouldn't make any difference. The engine oil stays remarkably clean due to a lack of carbon in the fuel, so that must be better for the car!

BTW, You can get LPG for about 32p/litre!

Matt
Old 05 January 2001, 11:22 AM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

Has anybody looked into or done an LPG conversion for the Scoob, 100 Octane and 41p a litre sounds pretty good to me, I know you loose the spare wheel in the boot, but I think that's the only downside, am I correct.
Old 05 January 2001, 11:24 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Paul

This has been mentioned a couple of times. I think the general view was that LPG and turbo engines don't mix very well. I maybe wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if that's the case

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2001, 02:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I too have been wondering about LPG conversions. a) coz LPG is cheap (for the momeny) and, b) the blackbeast is an import and thus should really run on 100 RON and LPG is rated at 105 RON.

From what I know, which aint much. You'd need a generation 3 system, which from what I remember is a injection LPG system. Looks like it'd cost at least a grand.

The problem with dual-fuel, as mentioned is that the ECU would reset to the lowest fuel, in my case 95 RON. I did ask about PossumLink supporting multiple maps, as if it did then you could have a 95 map and a 105 map and switch when you switched fuel sources, but Link only supports one map, so it's a no go

I also have heard stuff about LPG + turbo not being recommended but I think most of that was due to generation 1 and 2 LPG systems not being of a sufficent injection pressure, AFAIK gen 1 systems were like carbs on cars, eg; sucking in the fuel, rather than it being forcibly injected. I might be wrong though.
Old 05 January 2001, 02:37 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

From what Ive found out so far, there's a couple of companies around the Luton Area that seem to have some experience, they're also on the web, you would need Gen. 3 to get over injection pressures, I think the cost is around £1300, but the goverment wiull give between 50% and 75% back. TOP.
However I spoke to Adams Subaru in Ayelsbury and they wouldnt warranty it. Would any other dealers do so, Ive got a MY00, so I think it would re-map it self fairly quickly.
Also 3 LPG suppliers in 15mile radius, most expensive 41.9p
Old 05 January 2001, 03:13 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Paul,
I think the govt only give you the money back if you order an LPG conversion on a new car. I may be wrong, but check carefully if you rely on it. The ECU wouldn't be a problem if you where sure to always use LPG. You can reset it yourself by disconnection the battery overnight,or get your dealer to do it with a plug in gizmo. It will maintain the settings while you run on LPG. If you can't find some and use a tank of unleaded the ECU will quickly adjust to the lower grade stuff, but it will take forever going in the other direction. (I think it uses some sort of average of all the det points in its memory to retard timing, but uses the last det point to advance it. Again, I could be wrong, and I'm sure one of our technical guru's will set the record straight)
Old 05 January 2001, 07:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Paul, Yes there have been several sensible threads on this but no search :-((

However if you do a net search (which it sounds like you've done) you will find much info including a site which will tell you if your car is eligible for a grant but this is unlikely. I think less than a year old and only if on an "approved" list. I investigated (not for a Scoob) and concluded that it wasn't worth it unless you do high mileage and are going to keep the car for a few years. You won't get cost back when you sell and you will lose some economy and performance when you run lpg. About 500 lpg outlets in UK. As has been said Warranty would be a big issue. David.
Old 05 January 2001, 07:07 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

I'm getting my '93 Range Rover 4.2 converted soon so I'll post my findings in due course.

Govt subsidy only applies to certain vehicles, under a year old.

There are now over 600 filling points in the UK.

KF - very surprised about the LPG ban on the Eurotunnel - LPG tanks are safer than petrol tanks.

For more info, try
Old 06 January 2001, 11:04 AM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

Maybe you could also give the company Vialle a try on the net.This is a dutch manufacterer of LPG systems,and LPG is very big in holland ,there is a lot of experience in systems here,a lot of cars have it here ,and the systems are getting better and better all the time.
bye chris