Sponsored by:

P1 Top speed

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2001, 09:56 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Will the likes of a turbo timer give me a more accurate top speed reading the my clock, cause it only goes to the usual 160mph if so will this make a difference to my trackstar. Anyone help!
Old 03 January 2001, 11:30 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Question

I thought a turbo timer was a gadget that allows the turbo chance to cool when you stop the car ????
Old 04 January 2001, 01:44 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, either a seriously mucked up question or a case for muppetisation.

A turbo timer will allow the car to idle afer you have taken the keys out of the ignition for a variable amount of time. Thats all it does. It will not always be possible to link it up with your alarm, but your immobiliser should still work.

You can purchase other gadgets that will give you digital output once set up coorectly such as MPG, oil pressure, boost, etc...

Trackstar is a tracking device IIRC???
No it will not effect it in any way unless your agreement states that the car must be alarmed and immobilised at all times when you are away from the vehicle. If you leave the engine running via the timer, then you could be invalidating it... Something to think about.

Hope this helps.
Old 04 January 2001, 11:54 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Smile

hold on folks....

Jason is talking about a turbo timer (the blitz one I think) that is able to record 1/4 mile times, 0-60, top speed etc.

do not muppetise...this is a valid question.

Ian
Old 04 January 2001, 07:14 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thank you IGRATTON,at least someone understands a simple question.
Who are the muppets then?
Now then only non-muppets may answer!
Old 05 January 2001, 12:18 AM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

with regard to measuring speed:

I have a Garmin eTrex connected to a Palmpilot on the dashboard. It uses the palmpilot cable connected to a garmin cable through a gender bender.

I use the GPSPILOT software which measures top speed and a whole host of other things. My impreza sport 5 dr speedo overreads but not by as much as you would imagine.

only 3 mph at 30, 12mph at 100mph.

I wouldn't trust the turbo timer because I suppose that you are multiplying revs by gear ratio which still has the unknown quantity of the tyre size and tyre pressure which could be a lot higher at high speeds, cornering etc on a track...

callum
Old 05 January 2001, 12:35 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Jason
Muppet -vs- non-Muppet.

I swing both ways - but that's another story.....only posted to bait Sunlip

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2001, 10:12 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

So if I owned a Sport, I'd have to buy a non-turbo timer???
Old 05 January 2001, 10:33 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Jason
In all fairness not all turbo timers have the functionality of the Blitz model - they just tend to idle the engine 'till it is 'safe' to switch it off, then do so.

I do not know how accurately it will measure top speed. I suppose it depends on what it is connected to within you car. Why not try asking the company who supplied it.
or
Old 05 January 2001, 10:59 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Jason,
I'm a muppet and proud of it... You question was seriously confusing as you have obviously looked at one or two turbo timers with a number of extra functions sort of like looking at a scooby and assuming that all cars have AWD and a turbo then started calling people names they may not particularly like based on this the Blitz timer won't give you an accurate reading of top speed as it takes the reading from the ECU the ECU won't know the exact circumference of your tyres so the reading will be more of an educated guess the 0-60 and standing quarter will be more accurate as the tyres turn less at slower speed, so the margin of error will be reduced

p.s. punctuation is a useful tool
Old 05 January 2001, 06:03 PM
markyp9074
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

To correct Paul Habgood you would need to track four satellites to obtain a 3D position and thus speed on the WGS84 spheroid (mathematical model of the world). Three would merely give you a 2D position.

Unfortunately the hand held Garmin receivers and the such are not accurate enough for the type of speed calculation you are requiring. Even taking into account that Selective Availability is not active (deliberate degrading of signal), the effects of ionospheric & tropospheric errors, plus multipath (reflections of the signal) would be sufficient to degrade your position, and therefore speed to an unacceptable level. Toggled with the fact that $100 receivers are going to have inherent noise, you would never get better than a 5m accuracy (more likely 15m and that if your standing still), and therefore error in speed calculation.

In short rapiddescent your speedo is more accurate than your GPS!!

To do this accurately you would need a receiver capable of sub metre accuracy or better such as a Trimble SSE with a ground plane antenna (to stop multipath), mounted on the roof! Whilst the tracker in my P1 is a Trimble, hidden in one of 22 possible places (though I found it in 15 seconds!), it would never be accurate enough to consider tapping off of.

Just my two pence worth!

Mark
Old 05 January 2001, 06:21 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Does top speed really matter, or is there some hidden connection with ***** length that I don't know about??!!
Old 05 January 2001, 07:42 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

In f=k**g layman`s term`s with that tool that someone was talking about,i just wanted to know what speed i was doing as the needle on my clock was at the letter P on the MPH for about 6 secs with the revs still going and willing for more.
The second part of this so confusing question was would a Blitz Turbo Timer give me problems with Trackstar when the car was still running with no keys in the ignition ie. would the police and the RAC be ringing every time i used it saying it has been stolen.
Thanks for the sensible replies.
Old 05 January 2001, 07:57 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
jason
I think the problem is that the question was not clear at the beginning but now you have actually posted the question clearly it will be possible to give a clear answer to the question.

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to your questions but would suggest you direct the Trackstar/turbo timer question to the people that supplied Trackstar and the turbo timer. I believe Trackstar is reliant on the vehicle actually moving (if it is based on GPS then I do not believe it will be able to distinguish between you getting in your car and starting the engine and a thief) but as I say I am not the expert.....

As far as speed is concerned, as an alternative you can work it out accurately from RPM x gearing, tyre diameter etc. As I am sure you are aware most speedos overread so whatever it works out it won't be as much as you thought it was.....
Old 05 January 2001, 08:38 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

cheers dave.
Old 06 January 2001, 11:55 AM
markyp9074
Scooby Newbie

Apologies Jason,

I appear to have gone off on a tangent after reading posts further down the list.

It was my impression that the trackstar only tripped itself if the vehicle changed angle or suddenly changed height i.e. going on a low loader (this calculated from the GPS).

In normal operation it is my belief that it would not be tripped if the car was broken into and driven off, you would have to ring up trackstar and 'trip' it yourself.......So in your application the turbo timer wouldn't affect it.....

I think,

Mark