Sponsored by:

LPG on a 2003 WRX STI impreza type uk PPP

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2008, 09:58 PM
WRXSTIUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPG on a 2003 WRX STI impreza type uk PPP

With the rise in petrol and shortly a massive hike in road tax - I have started to consider an LPG conversion on My STI ppp 2003.

My question is - is it safe on the Subaru Boxer engine. I have read that some cars suffer problems with the lack of lubrications at the valves? Is this something that is likely to occur if I go ahead with it?

Has anyone had an LPG conversion and what was/is your experience with it

Cheers

Last edited by WRXSTIUK300; 16 March 2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 17 March 2008, 07:54 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

I know of someone who's had the conversion to a legacy 2.5 or 3.0 to try and get some better consumption but I don't know how it would go on with a PPP version impreza.

There's been an advert on the Subaru website with an offer for converting some cars (forester & legacy AFAIR) so it might be worth asking a dealer but an STi PPP may be more finely tuned, i.e., delicate if you start playing with settings.

Secondly, find a conversion company who knows what they are doing and both them and you understand the 'potential' risks...
Old 17 March 2008, 08:15 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I think Willkommen bei Trautner.de do LPG conversions (have a look under autogas). They are a Subaru main dealer. I know Germany is far for you but it's worth having a chat with them.
Old 17 March 2008, 10:48 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I know Phil Price rallying run their rally cars on LPG and have acquired a STi which they are going to convert.Also Steve Cotton motorsport do LPG conversions and have done scoobs too.
Old 18 March 2008, 11:57 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I have sent Willkommen bei Trautner.de an email and waiting for him to scan some info in english and come back to me. Will keep you updated. I mentioned about your car as well.
Old 18 March 2008, 08:40 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Your car will run smoother on gas, its got a higher octain thn petrol 114 ron i think.

Make sure they put big enough injectors on.
Old 18 March 2008, 10:30 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Be interesting to hear the results on this, i've often thought about it myself and wondered wether it will affect performance either negativly or positivly.
Old 19 March 2008, 10:40 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by "Taylor"
Be interesting to hear the results on this, i've often thought about it myself and wondered wether it will affect performance either negativly or positivly.
Although it has a higher RON rating it has a lower calorific value I believe. So in general you will get less mpg using lpg, but in theory the performance shouldn't be that much worse. It's certainly the case on the V8 landy I have, not quite sure how the turbo would affect the lpg mixture though on the scoob. Would probably need to be a fairly fast adapting ECU/LPG system to cope I'd have thought.

Also bear in mind that if you are fitting a 50l lpg tank for example, then you can't fit 50l of lpg into it. The tanks never fill completely. IIRC a 50l tank will allow you to fill it to about 35l-40l maybe, so with your lower mpg (say 15-18) then you will have an even shorter range on lpg than you do on petrol.
Old 19 March 2008, 11:18 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainCam
Although it has a higher RON rating it has a lower calorific value I believe. So in general you will get less mpg using lpg, but in theory the performance shouldn't be that much worse. It's certainly the case on the V8 landy I have, not quite sure how the turbo would affect the lpg mixture though on the scoob. Would probably need to be a fairly fast adapting ECU/LPG system to cope I'd have thought.

Also bear in mind that if you are fitting a 50l lpg tank for example, then you can't fit 50l of lpg into it. The tanks never fill completely. IIRC a 50l tank will allow you to fill it to about 35l-40l maybe, so with your lower mpg (say 15-18) then you will have an even shorter range on lpg than you do on petrol.
That sucks, i don't get much range out of my 50 litre tanks as it is. Being tuned she only does 18mpg now.
Old 19 March 2008, 11:20 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

..and it won't have any effect on how much road tax you pay...

A band G car is a band G car even if you paint it green, sellotape some batteries to the engine and claim its a hybrid.

Old 20 March 2008, 02:13 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
..and it won't have any effect on how much road tax you pay...

A band G car is a band G car even if you paint it green, sellotape some batteries to the engine and claim its a hybrid.

Actually if it's a dual fuel you can get £20 off or something I'm sure I read... not really sure it's worth the hassle for that little off.
Old 20 March 2008, 02:15 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by "Taylor"
That sucks, i don't get much range out of my 50 litre tanks as it is. Being tuned she only does 18mpg now.
That's what I mean. Plus I know some people who've had to have a compromise map in place so that it works on both. Might not be as much of a problem if you can have dual maps, one for each.