Sponsored by:

MY95/96 queries

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2002, 09:20 AM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Might be treating myself to a new car soon. As I'm currently a non-scoob owner, I am thinking about a MY95/96 turbo wagon.

In another thread it stated that older cars don't seem to suffer from the same problems as newer cars, i.e. piston slap, etc..

I'd probably be going for a higher mileage vehicle so am just wondering what types of problems I might come across.

I'm aware that brakes/tyres/clutches will need replacing in time. I'm more worried about turbo/gearbox/engine type problems.

Cheers

[Edited by devils_ad69 - 1/24/2002 9:23:29 AM]
Old 24 January 2002, 09:43 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Depends soooo much on how the vehicle has been driven/looked after.

There are general things to look for but there's no substitute for checking the thing over physically, drivng it, hearing it run etc.

A car that has been looked after, FSH, not screwed too much, but with high miles will be generally better than a 20000 miler that has been screwed with no oil in it.

I wouldn't worry too much about mileage (unless it's huge) if it seems to have been cared for. More important to give the car a thorough check. Take someone with you who knows cars and even better, Imprezas. Or get the AA or someone to look at it.

If you want I'll mail you a list of things to check for on the early cars, I'm no mechanic but I know my MY96 fairly well.

Cheers

Rich
Old 24 January 2002, 09:59 AM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Hi Rich,

Thanks. I should have stated that I'd only buy an obviously well looked after example and would definitely get it inspected by AA/RAC.

If you could email me your list, that would be very helpful. Email address is in my profile.

Thanks, again.
Old 24 January 2002, 10:12 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

137,000 miles on my MY95. Only problems had were new clutch, Water pump and a couple of oil leaks which have now been fixed. Still runs very well. Quite and fast. FSSH. No problems with piston slap, plus you get a bigger turbo

If you get a well looked after one you won't go wrong...
Old 24 January 2002, 10:18 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Couple of othet things...

The early UK cars (mine included) did not have the sports seats. You may want to concider putting some money aside to buy a set of these (from 97 onwards). The fit straight in and look and feel so much better. Lots more support. You can get some for around £400. Well worth it.

Also, the early cars (again, mine included) came with 15" wheels. You may want to see if you can buy some bigger ones (16" or 17").

I did both of the above to mine and it looks a whole lot better. Brings the look upto date(ish)

Old 24 January 2002, 10:28 AM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Nimbus,

Thanks for that. TO be honest, though, looks are not really my thing. In view of the recent comments about inssurance and thefts, etc.. I purposely do not want the car to look 'sporty'.

Its for that reason that I am going to go for a 5dr and probably debadge/desticker (and maybe evern sticker as a sport). Plus I want a totally standard car.

Cheers, anyway, for your helpful advice.
Old 24 January 2002, 01:31 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Hi
I have a MY95 WRX Wagon with 57,000 miles and have found it to be very reliable, (touch wood), the engine, gearbox and turbo are all as sweet as when i brought it at 37,000 miles.
Regular oil changes are essential with any car and i have had mine changed every 4000 miles.
I currently have my car up for sale, however every time i jump in to go to work in the morning i think to myself what a fantastic car this is.
As Rich says, it is so important how it has been looked after and driven, and always helps to now about owner history as well as service history.
I agree with the 5 door not looking so loud as the 4 door, especially those with huge spoilers, but from the front they look exactly the same.
As long as you take your time to find the right car you should find the reliable car you are looking for.