Sponsored by:

Warming up & cooling down

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2008, 02:54 PM
nathanw1983
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warming up & cooling down

I have no turbo timer yet. How fussy and how long should i be letting it cool down before it tern it off? And how long should i give it to warm up before i drive off and how long before i put my foot down? After driving it hard ive been giving it 3 to five mins is this to long?
Old 23 February 2008, 02:59 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

just drive off boost for the last few miles\10mins before you get home...then you can switch it straight off
Old 23 February 2008, 03:05 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanw1983
I have no turbo timer yet. How fussy and how long should i be letting it cool down before it tern it off? And how long should i give it to warm up before i drive off and how long before i put my foot down? After driving it hard ive been giving it 3 to five mins is this to long?
If you havnt been using much boost and you've been basically cruising at say 50 you could probs just switch it straight off as it wont need cooled down anyway. I always leave mine for 1 minute...and up to 5 mins if its been driven hard. I also try and leave it for 5 mins before I move it after first start, but thats just me(I dont use the car to commute, only a weekend toy). If I am in a rush I dont go over 2k rpm until water is fully up to temp...and even leave it a few miles after that before I start using the revs properly.

Also if theres alot of heat in the brakes e.g they are practically on fire , I let the car sit on level ground without the handbrake on as this can warp rear discs iirc.

Alan

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 23 February 2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 23 February 2008, 03:13 PM
nathanw1983
Scooby Newbie

Dont no wether to get a turbo timer. do you know how long they take to fit?
Old 23 February 2008, 03:35 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt bother with the turbo timer. Waste of money if you ask me.
Just drive off boost for a few minutes on your way home.
Old 23 February 2008, 03:50 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i drive mine straight away after turning it on but i dont go over 2500rpm for at least 10 miles but i cannot anyway as the traffic in hull never lets you get any faster and like said above when your on your way home the last few miles 10 minutes just drive off boost
easy as that
Old 23 February 2008, 03:59 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

TerzoAlan, handbrake uses drum within the hub of the disc, so no worries...

HTH

DunxC
Old 23 February 2008, 04:49 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
TerzoAlan, handbrake uses drum within the hub of the disc, so no worries...

HTH

DunxC
good good, that puts my mind at rest...and it can be a pain to leave it on the flat as I have a long drive thats on a hill. I had actually read somewhere about not applying handbrake, and have been doing it ever since.

cheers, Alan
Old 23 February 2008, 06:23 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mifo
I wouldnt bother with the turbo timer. Waste of money if you ask me.
Just drive off boost for a few minutes on your way home.

as above
Old 23 February 2008, 06:38 PM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

Your car will only make half boost b4 its warmed up anyway, so dont take it over 2.5 till its *** up to temp... as for shuting down.... as the guys say.... keep of the boost for 5/10 mins before shuting down... if you need to use it... let your car run for a few mins.

this is what I do anyway.

Best of luck

Scotty
Old 23 February 2008, 06:53 PM
drtchock
Scooby Regular

i always keep bellow 2000 rpm for the first 10 mins of driving.. its actually easier to do this if you have a louder exhaust as its easier to hear the revs.. when they're stock and really quiet its easy to go over 3grand without realising!

then once im home i usually let it idle for a couple of mins after heavy driving/on boost.
Old 23 February 2008, 07:33 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
i drive mine straight away after turning it on but i dont go over 2500rpm for at least 10 miles but i cannot anyway as the traffic in hull never lets you get any faster and like said above when your on your way home the last few miles 10 minutes just drive off boost
easy as that
agree its a car drive it
Old 23 February 2008, 09:51 PM
nathanw1983
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info
Old 24 February 2008, 08:38 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Oil Temp Defi Gauge in ine and I hve always waited until 80deg before I even think about boost/revs above 3000. It takes about 5mins in my Newage, but was slightly longer in my old classic.

I drive from when I turn the key, but luckily I am at least 6mins from the nearest Motorway, which would be annoying to crawl along in for 4mins/5miles or so.
Old 24 February 2008, 08:52 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amego
agree its a car drive it
ah but some folk turn it on and leave for 5 minutes warming up and its got nothing to do with water temp its oil temp that takes its time .
waste of fuel and more importantly time
Old 24 February 2008, 09:57 AM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Water temp is not an indicator that everything is ok and warm, oil takes a lot longer to warm through....
Old 24 February 2008, 10:32 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
ah but some folk turn it on and leave for 5 minutes warming up and its got nothing to do with water temp its oil temp that takes its time .
waste of fuel and more importantly time
Leaving it running for 5 mins will also go some of the way to warming oil up as well. thats 5 mins less you have to crawl along the road like a ****

Alan
Old 24 February 2008, 12:32 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Drive off staright away to clear all the excess fuel out into the exhast from the cold start (avoiding bore wash and misfires), and the engine will heat up far quicker being driven, as it takes forever to warm up when left idling. Just try and stay off boost (i.e below 3000rpm) simple really.

Its not the end of the world should one have to let the turbo spool up (i.e to get up to speed when pulling out on a fast busy road).

Although if your using very thick oil (i.e 10w-60 or 15w-50) maybe worth taking it a bit more easy when the outside temps are cold. Or just use a more suitable oil

Cooling down:

Local city driving, or just light sub-60mph crusing...no need

Motorway at 80mph + or after a hard blast round the lanes - give it a slow drive off-boost for 5mins as you get to your destination...it'll cool down far faster being driven than just sat idling and wasting petrol.
Old 25 February 2008, 09:45 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

I tend to wait max 1 min at start-up, than drive max 3000rpm for about 5-10 mins, depending on outside temp. Cooldown is just like others said, drive off boost for the last 5 mins, then when parked I wait 1 min at most(untill I get my stuff from car). When you really booted it is not good to just stop and let it idle anyway in my oppinion, far better is to drive a few mins off boost or lower boost then park and wait 2 mins.
Old 25 February 2008, 10:36 AM
New_scooby_04

The most important thing is that you stay at low revs/off boost untill the oil is up to temperature, this doesn't happen quickly, and you shouldn't make the mistake of using the water temp guage as an indcation- oil takes considerably longer. I leave it 8-10 miles before driving on boost.

I also let mine get up to normal water temp before moving off where possibible, just to take some of the chill off (SN **** owner alert! ). Leaving the car to warm up stationary doesn't heat up the gearbox and diff oil though!

As for cool down: if you've been driving hard, ideally, just drive off boost for a few miles prior to switcing off, otherwise just leave it idling for a couple of mins prior to switching off. Main thing to be avoided is driving at sustained boost then switching off e.g. just after pulling off a motorway!
Ns04
Old 25 February 2008, 03:54 PM
nooobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
good good, that puts my mind at rest...and it can be a pain to leave it on the flat as I have a long drive thats on a hill. I had actually read somewhere about not applying handbrake, and have been doing it ever since.

cheers, Alan
So use your handbrake at traffic lights as sitting with your foot on the brake pedal if you've been giving it welly has the same effect you first thought about only its all 4 discs you may be warping.
Old 25 February 2008, 04:15 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

8-10miles is a bit drastic isnt it? Unless thats with no traffic at all? My car can be (according to oil temps on Defis) fully up to temp for a good few minutes coming toward a 4.5mile mark, when there's traffic around. Without the traffic, oil temps only hit 70ish degrees c.
Old 25 February 2008, 04:19 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Yes, standing stationary with roasting hot brakes is not a clever - foot on or not - heat from the caliper is concentrated in one part of the disc. Reciepe for warping barkes.

Always better to anticipate the road ahead, and slow down well in advance and keep crawling. Rather than rushing up to a set of red lights and stop dead.
Old 25 February 2008, 04:29 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
8-10miles is a bit drastic isnt it? Unless thats with no traffic at all? My car can be (according to oil temps on Defis) fully up to temp for a good few minutes coming toward a 4.5mile mark, when there's traffic around. Without the traffic, oil temps only hit 70ish degrees c.
I did say I was an SN **** owner!

There was a thread on here a while back when someone measured how many miles it took for the oil to get up to temp from various conditions, and IIRC the worst case scenario was about 8 miles, Depends on a number of factors, so if you've not got a guage, it pays to be conservative
Old 25 February 2008, 04:53 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

O yeah definitely if you don't have a guage, before I had a gauge I'd not want to boot it unless I'd been driving for a while, even if it was warm when I switched it off, and then went back to it 20min later, would still wait another 20min lol Since getting the gauge I've enjoyed my car a lot more as I'm more confident that I won't break something, just make sure it's been at operating temp for a good few min and good to go.
Old 25 February 2008, 07:09 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Only a boost gauge, I keep it below 3000 and off boost for the first 10 mins or so, which is about the time I need to get out onto a really busy A road. As for cooling down, as I live in an area of 30mph speed limits. I take it easy. and leave it running while I open the garage to put her away. I can then switch of as soon as I get it inside.

Jase
Old 25 February 2008, 08:55 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

the standard temp gauge reads normal from about 50deg and stays there up until 88deg on my datamonitor, s (pretty inaccurate really) and takes about 5miles to reach normal running temp, then i give it boost, i never warm up before driving off as there is no point, although i never turn the key and go either, not deliberately, just faffing around with seatbelts, and adjusting my kerb-angled door-mirror to a rear angled door mirror (i loves my wheels) etc. So I just take it easy until 88, although i did arrive in 1952 once.
Old 27 February 2008, 08:36 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
Leaving it running for 5 mins will also go some of the way to warming oil up as well. thats 5 mins less you have to crawl along the road like a ****

Alan
leaving it for 5 minutes hardly makesany difference the fastest wasy to get it up to speed is drive it and as for crawling along like a **** i do that anyway i live in hull and the traffic to work and back is pure white dog poo
i can bike to work alot faster but i have a car so i use it not like that woman who tries to stop traffic crap
Old 27 February 2008, 09:10 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Question for those of you with oil temp gauges - how long after the water temp gauge is up to normal does it take for the oil to reach correct temp? Ideally for those who drive it straight from start up rather than idling for a while.

In other words, once my water temp is up to normal (about 5 mins of town driving for me) how long will it take for the oil?
Old 27 February 2008, 10:38 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

A long time lol. My oil temp gauge hasn't even moved when water is at "normal temp"

Quick Reply: Warming up & cooling down