Sponsored by:

Ferrari V's V Power/ Ordinary Unleaded Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2008, 05:00 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrari V's V Power/ Ordinary Unleaded Scooby

Was filling up with V Power this Afternoon, when a bloke pulled up to the Pump the other side of me & started filling up with 95 RON!!

I said shouldn't you be using V Power??

No always use ordinary Unleaded no problem with the performance.

A couple of years ago I posted a similar thread with a Porsche.

WTF is going on??

I always put Super in, the Mapper/Garage/SN all say to do so, plus the countless threads supporting this.

Why can he put ordinary UL in with no los of peformance and less going out of his Pocket???

Yours confused.

Alan MaC
Old 22 February 2008, 06:12 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Because he's a tight **** numpty by the sounds of it. Use V Power, end of. If he's always used 95RON then how would he know that he's not losing performance?
Old 22 February 2008, 06:42 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I must admit I've ran both my Subaru and 350Z on normal unleaded. Only filling up with Super when I have too. I have never noticed any difference in performance and the Scooby was always one of the fastest at Santa Pod.

But having said that I calculated I save approx £360 per year. So you could question if its worth not just filling up with Super! I think if I ran a PPP or other modified car I would stick with super.
Old 22 February 2008, 07:16 PM
BigBez
Scooby Regular

dont forget you have to get it remapped on vpower etc to take FULL advantage of using the better fuel
Old 22 February 2008, 08:16 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Mr Leigh if you raced yer Scoob @ Santa Pod guess you have had a couple of tweaks done?

If so, why the comment about, putting in SUL if you had it PP/Modded?

Also, if you put in 95, and it runs fine & saved money?

The big Question is, V POWER FERRARI FUEL FOR THE ROAD?? AS THE SHELL AD SAYS IS IT BALLOCKS???
This was a fairly new Ferrari, running well on 95, yer can't tell me that it's not a tuned motor, the Ferrari that is??

Still not sure, after talking to the Ferrari Chap today??

Makes yer think doen't it??

Regards.

Alan MaC
Old 22 February 2008, 08:17 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

as above (big bez) that when you will get the max out of the v power. its only 10p more ????
Old 22 February 2008, 08:28 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Mine was mapped on V Power, that's the point.

The respected Mappers that come on here all swear by V Power, still don't know why this bloke was running a top Sports Car on Cheap Unleaded, can't have been the cost, cos if it was, how come he can afford to buy one of them cars???

Regards.

Alan MaC
Old 22 February 2008, 08:36 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
its only 10p more ????
Is that all !!! Petrols far to cheap at the minute
Old 22 February 2008, 08:47 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BooSH
Is that all !!! Petrols far to cheap at the minute
If 10p a litre is an issue for you don’t you think you made the wrong car choice
Old 22 February 2008, 08:54 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

If 10p a litre is an issue for you don’t you think you made the wrong car choice

Completely agree
Old 22 February 2008, 08:58 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Because people who own cheaper, lesser cars belive the marketing hype claptrap and then bleat to other like-minded owners on forums that also think that this "super fuel" is the bees knees at somehow making their car 'kin quick whilst doing 50mpg and "cleaning" it in the process. Making it "worth" the extra.

The only car I have that runs Vpower is a 1982 XJ-S, and thats only becuase I can't be bothered to retard the ignition timing, since its still set for 4-star, and don't really feel the urge to have swiss cheese style pistons

Otherwise, a small selection of vehicles that use 95RON and and thus don't "need" a higher octane fuel

Monaro - 95 RON
NSX - 95 Ron
911 Supersports - 95 RON
Bentley Continental T (The proper one, not the fooballer t**t one) - 95 RON
BMW 530- 95RON
Merc 500SL - 95 RON
Old 22 February 2008, 08:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I just filled up at Morrisons, cheap version obviously... and in this cold weather my car feels just the same as on V-Power.

Is it only worth it during the warmer weather ?

DunxC
Old 22 February 2008, 09:16 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Firstly, you can't just fill up with a higher octane fuel and expect instant improvement. It'll take at least two tank fulls for the ECU to take advantage of it and that's the 'quick' learning ECU of newage scoobs..!

Secondly, how does the Fezza owner know he's not loosing performance if he's not continued to fill up with the stuff..!

Thirdly, my 05 wrx states on the filler cap 'Warning, use min 98ron..!' or words to that effect..! I actually get a few more MPG using v-power, so this more than offsets the extra 8p/ltr we pay here..

The problem is, as it takes a while to gain any benefit from using a higher octane fuel, most people don't notice it. They fill up once, feel it's no different and then fill up with NUL..! I would imagine the guy in the fezza only uses it occasionally (weekends), so the above scenario is exaggerated..!

The only way you may notice a difference is if you regularly use SUL and then try 95, as the ecu will pull timing almost immediately..!

There is another way, and this highlights the difference more clearly: A knocklink will think it's Christmas after filling with 95, I know mine does..! Therefore, how do you think the ECU will react..? But KL's are a contentious issue..
Old 22 February 2008, 09:23 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayb1970

Completely agree
When did i say 10p difference was an issue for me ? Fuel is expensive now matter how much money you've got and with the fuel prices rising as they are, it's not that i carn't afford to fill my car up with the super dooper fuel that the petrol companies say they make i'm just sick of filling the goverments coffers and making the big petrol company owners billions of pounds profits a year.
Old 22 February 2008, 09:30 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Jasonius,

good points raised

Well put.

The F chap said he puts in 95 all the time, that is my point.

REgards.

Alan MaC
Old 22 February 2008, 09:33 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

10p a litre doesn't sound much but multiplied by a tank full 'x' times a week 'y' times a year and it soon mounts up to a more significant figure.
As said, more money into the Government coffers

Either way its up to the individual to decide what fuel they are willing to pay for. Incidently i ran my STI on both types of fuel and i couldn't tell any difference in performance or mpg.

When did i say 10p difference was an issue for me ? Fuel is expensive now matter how much money you've got and with the fuel prices rising as they are, it's not that i carn't afford to fill my car up with the super dooper fuel that the petrol companies say they make i'm just sick of filling the goverments coffers and making the big petrol company owners billions of pounds profits a year.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:00 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
10p a litre doesn't sound much but multiplied by a tank full 'x' times a week 'y' times a year and it soon mounts up to a more significant figure.
As said, more money into the Government coffers

Either way its up to the individual to decide what fuel they are willing to pay for. Incidently i ran my STI on both types of fuel and i couldn't tell any difference in performance or mpg.
Mounts up doesn't it?

Especially when one never really uses the full performance of their engine where probably 10% of driving during the week the car "may" be lucky enough to see full throttle for longer than 10seconds, where maybe the minor benefit may actually be realised.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:20 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Mounts up doesn't it?

Especially when one never really uses the full performance of their engine where probably 10% of driving during the week the car "may" be lucky enough to see full throttle for longer than 10seconds, where maybe the minor benefit may actually be realised.
Well actually, you'll usually notice the biggest difference in the mid-range..!

Taking your post to it's ultimate conclusion, surely a nice little 1.4 lean burn petrol or a TDi would be the logical choice..?

As I said before, in most cases, the better the fuel the better the MPG..!
Old 22 February 2008, 10:25 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Of course not.....how can one pose in a 1.4 Seat Arosa diesel?

As much as I would like to drive to work at 100mph+ everyday, prevailing traffic doesn't allow me (nor the law).

I tried various octane fuel in my Impreza, Monaro and the BMWs and honestly cannot measure any difference in MPG, from both trip computer and my company mileage/fuel logs (which I have to do to keep Mr Brown happy ).

Last edited by Shark Man; 22 February 2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:29 PM
stair
Scooby Regular

Beware thinking you are saving money with 95 RON, before I had my WRX mapped I ran variously on Optimax, Esso SUL, Tesco 99 and ordinary for extended periods on each (at least 4 tanks).

Much of my motoring is motorway with 35 mile each way M25 commute

General conclusions -
Performance wise could not really tell difference between the SULs but car clearly less happy on 95
MPG - optimax better than any other by 5%-10% thus offsetting pretty much all £/l advantage they might have

Since mapping to V power have occasionally run Tesco 99 but again the 3p/l cost is more than offset set by better MPG from the Shell

Moral of the story - cost of fuel is not necessarily determined by the pump price

Stair
Old 22 February 2008, 10:29 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Surley we're all being forced into more economical cars weather you like it or not, performance cars will be for the rich and famous in a few years, you'd be a mug to paying what petrol will be in a couple of years when you've got a car like a scooby that loves it so much. Personaly i'm lucky enough to have a bike licence i'll b frigging off the scooby at the end of year and getting myself a bike again and a boring diesel workhorse.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:37 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

My boss has a newish Porker Carrera S.

We were having the same discussion after I told him I can only use Shell V-Power unless I get my care remapped for 95RON.

He used both 50/50 split, recokons the Porkers ECU is clever enough to adjust to different fuel but tries to use V-Power when he can.

I tried BP 95RON as I couldn't find a Shell anywhere when I was out of town, car did not like the fuel at all. I quickly got to a Shell and filled it right up with V-Power to clear the crap out.

Tried Shell 95RON another time and same again, car misfired, felt like it was having trouble coping with the fuel (only when driving hard mind you, at normal sane speeds felt no different).
Old 22 February 2008, 11:35 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
Couldn't agree more there. This something I've stated all along. If you are worried about the running costs of a car then you cannot afford the car in the first place.

Originally Posted by Mr Leigh
But having said that I calculated I save approx £360 per year.
Around £1 per day. Surely that's nothing to get worried over.
Old 23 February 2008, 12:36 AM
mag6/4 2
Scooby Regular

we need brun regarding fuel consumption he did this a while ago his uk scoob ran better on super ulp and he worked this out to 4/5 miles more on a tank of supa i get 140 on a tank of ulp on supa i get 175 on a full tank my 94 uk 50lt tank
Old 23 February 2008, 11:05 AM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
Couldn't agree more there. This something I've stated all along. If you are worried about the running costs of a car then you cannot afford the car in the first place.

Around £1 per day. Surely that's nothing to get worried over.
Whatever mate, i quite clearly can afford to run my car as i owe nothing on it, unfortunatly i have to actually drive my car everyday, unlike alot of people who see there cars as weekend toys, so the added cost of fuel which seems to go up every month pisses me off. F**k it lets petition Gordon Brown and tell him fuel is too cheap Subaru owners can afford to pay any amount for there fuel, i want it to be at least £2 a litre by the end of the summer.
Old 23 February 2008, 02:44 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Whatever mate, i quite clearly can afford to run my car as i owe nothing on it, unfortunatly i have to actually drive my car everyday, unlike alot of people who see there cars as weekend toys, so the added cost of fuel which seems to go up every month pisses me off. F**k it lets petition Gordon Brown and tell him fuel is too cheap Subaru owners can afford to pay any amount for there fuel, i want it to be at least £2 a litre by the end of the summer.
I run my car EVERYDAY too, a Spec C Type-RA. I do a 70 mile round trip to work each day and my fuel bill each week is around £150, yet do you hear me complaining about the running cost of my car or the price of petrol? No. Why? Because I didn't buy my car for economy and knew what I was getting into before I bought it. And I would rather see my car running on the best fuel it can get.

Last edited by MrRA; 23 February 2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 23 February 2008, 03:08 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
My boss has a newish Porker Carrera S.

We were having the same discussion after I told him I can only use Shell V-Power unless I get my care remapped for 95RON.

He used both 50/50 split, recokons the Porkers ECU is clever enough to adjust to different fuel but tries to use V-Power when he can.
As far as I'm aware these ecu's are quite average in their learning, or they were until 2-3yrs ago.

The Subaru newage ecu is one of the best OEM units out their..!

There was a Fifth Gear piece a few years ago (when it was any good..!) where they tested/dyno's Optimax v Ultimate v NUL in an 06 UK STI. They drained tank and reset the ECU between fuels. IIRC there was a 10-15 bhp difference between Optimax and NUL. I don't know about you but 15bhp is a lot..!
Old 23 February 2008, 03:20 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Ahh 5th gear, notihing like the non-impartiality of a commercially funded motor magazine program
Old 23 February 2008, 06:06 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Do you buy cheap none branded tyres and brake pads ???? I just don’t get why you would be bothered by around 2 pound per fill up (prob waste more than that on chewing gum etc) if you are interested in performance. If your not then why drive that car ???

It has been widely proven that it gives more power, economy and long term reliability 10 sounds good to me
Old 24 February 2008, 11:53 AM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

And i've not said i don't put SUL in my car, i've only complained about the price of fuel, i do put sul in when i can, but i'm not driving a 20 mile round trip to the garage that supplys it (but thats another issue).

Quick Reply: Ferrari V's V Power/ Ordinary Unleaded Scooby