Sponsored by:

Running in brand new WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 08:45 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Running in brand new WRX STi

Hello everyone. I have just upgraded from a Ford Focus ST2 to a 08MY Impreza WRX STi Type UK. Had a test drive today, of the first round delivered to showrooms in the UK and ordered one on the spot. I pick it up on 1st March. Does anyone have advice on running in the engine, I have been told that it is technically not necessary, what’s everyone’s preference, opinions and previous experience?

"Update: - Obviously 1st March 2008 has now come and gone, and I have picked up the new STi. And this is what it looks like."

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by John Hughes; 09 April 2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Car now delivered. Photo supplied.
Old 21 February 2008, 08:53 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

Firstly wecome to Scoobynet don't belive everything on here!

Congrats on your new car I had all the bumf through today the emails and press pack I have to admit it does look good in black!

Running in, Officially on the other model 1000 miles and not over 4000RPM but when i picked my WRX up brand new 4 years ago he said let the brakes settle in and then cane it when you can but don't go mad!

Thats what i did and have had no probs with 34000 on her now.

Simpsons!

Last edited by simpsons !; 21 February 2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 21 February 2008, 08:57 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I got my brochure the other day

Congrats on the new car! WE NEED PICS!

I'd probably do as simpsons! said - 1000miles not over 4000rpm. It might not be strictly needed, but it'd make me feel better
Old 21 February 2008, 09:17 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

Congrats on your new car

Normally it's 1000 miles at less than 4000 revs but also less than about 2/3rds throttle until the first service... Enjoy
Old 21 February 2008, 09:17 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

as detailed above mate... dont take it over 4k RPM for the first 1000miles. Your call on how you really treat it, because the trolls will be along telling you to thrash it out of the box... but you can never be too careful with £25k of your wedge under your right foot.

Bump on the call for pics!
Old 22 February 2008, 07:33 AM
Horrid Cars
Scooby Regular

Who cares? Its under warranty!
Old 22 February 2008, 07:53 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Horrid Cars
Who cares? Its under warranty!
take your head for a crap you troll.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:04 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Don't new Impreza cars have a thinner oil to start with and then at the 1000 mile service this is drained and the proper stuff is put in I tought that was why you don't over rev them .
Old 22 February 2008, 10:58 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Hopefully the handbook will say what you should do and if it doesn't then drive it as normal and if it breaks its covered by warranty.
Old 22 February 2008, 03:57 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Photo and running in

Thanks a lot for the replies. I will post a photo as soon as I collect the car (1st March). I’ll pass on what the handbook says about the running in, but I will be following your advice, 1000miles not over 4000rpm.

Last edited by John Hughes; 22 February 2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 22 February 2008, 04:04 PM
Horrid Cars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
take your head for a crap you troll.
lol.
Old 22 February 2008, 06:08 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Id agree on the 4000rpm/1000miles.

Congrats on your purchase too. Out of curiosity, you say you're upgrading from the Focus ST to the STI and that you ordered instantly after your test drive. Was it that much better and created such a good impression..? What features of the car sold it to you..?

Nige.
Old 22 February 2008, 06:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As above, the 4k for the first 1k miles, change oil, gradually increase the revs per 100 miles, ie 4500 to 1100, 5k to 1200 etc, lets the engine bed in nicely that way

Tony

PS, nice choice though some people will say its ugly (mainly classic owners )
Old 22 February 2008, 10:21 PM
KelvSTi
Scooby Regular

2008MY cars on, Subaru has done away with the 1000 mile service.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:26 PM
STiLtd
Scooby Regular

I agree too!

I ran mine in....damn useful the buzzer thingy!....and had the first service at just before 1500. Been increasing it since, with the occasional blip. Now on 3900 and it's lovely. From what I hear though, it REALLY changes after about 5000.

Anyone got any commenst on THAT one. Is it down to the ECU, or just everything "bedding in" nicely?
Old 22 February 2008, 10:28 PM
Robbieben
Scooby Regular

I'd still suggest an oil change at 1000-2000 miles even if only for peace of mind
Old 22 February 2008, 10:52 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It important not to sit at one rpm level, use the gears and let her flex her muscles gently, and don't labour the engine i.e low revs in a high gear on a hill !
I stuck to a 4 K rpm limit to 500 mile and increased by 500 rpm every 100 extra miles. I did most of my mileage on back roads, NOT motorway.

HTH

DunxC
Old 22 February 2008, 11:30 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Threads like this make me laugh, have you ever seen the cars come off the boats?
Thrashed from the word go, plus all the engines are dynoed in the factory so there good to go imho.

Fast ones are always thrashed from new.
Old 23 February 2008, 07:54 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by 172sport
Threads like this make me laugh, have you ever seen the cars come off the boats?
Thrashed from the word go, plus all the engines are dynoed in the factory so there good to go imho.

Fast ones are always thrashed from new.

Ever wondered how many parts go into a modern car?
Its not just the engine your running in, its the entire car!
As for the thrashings to the ferry, well pretty much things of the past unless you own a french car

Tony
Old 23 February 2008, 09:43 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Its the thrashing off the boats to the compounds fella!!!!
Old 23 February 2008, 01:22 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Wink STi test drive

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Id agree on the 4000rpm/1000miles.

Congrats on your purchase too. Out of curiosity, you say you're upgrading from the Focus ST to the STI and that you ordered instantly after your test drive. Was it that much better and created such a good impression..? What features of the car sold it to you..?

Nige.

I was pretty much sold on everything. Gear box is a revelation compared to the Focus ST. I really love the look of the new model (ordered it in white with front fog lamps as an extra). The ride was smooth, secure and comfortable (my test drive was in absolutely pouring rain and very high winds). I was told not to “thrash” the car as the PDI checks had not been done, but the pick-up was more than a match for the Focus ST. I had previously test drove (last month) an Audi S3 and a Seat Leon Cupra. The STi felt and looks in a different league from these two cars. I was most disappointed in the S3, it felt claustrophobic inside, performance was not outstanding and it was pricy. Maybe I was expecting too much from the S3. The interior of the Cupra was a lot worse than the STi (even the back of the front seats is hard plastic coated) and the STi is getting bad press for the interior! My only other choice was the new face lifted Focus ST when it comes out, but when I test drove the Subaru I knew there was going to be no contest.

PS. I was working against time. The new STi’s were selling out fast. Not many dealers in Scotland and others were telling me they had sold their entire initial quota. I had waited on a test drive, this only became available from last Tuesday, and other customers had not waited. I have never owned a Subaru before. I can only hope that the new model is not such a departure from previous incarnations, for the sake of the people who ordered without a test drive. I was more than happy to fork out my cash after my first meeting with the new STi. I’ll tell everyone if I am still as happy after a couple of weeks of running the car. (Collect it next Saturday).

Last edited by John Hughes; 23 February 2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 23 February 2008, 02:02 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Great choice . You are lucky to snap one up for 1st March

Interesting about the STI selling out especially with all the critisism they have received

Look forward to your write up and pictures.
Old 23 February 2008, 02:13 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

"Not many dealers in Scotland and others were telling me they had sold their entire initial quota"

How many times have you heard that, lol! Quick get in, pay full list price before they all dissappear!
Old 23 February 2008, 02:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Its the thrashing off the boats to the compounds fella!!!!
Containers
Ferries on the other hand.....

Tony
Old 23 February 2008, 02:42 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John Hughes
I was pretty much sold on everything. Gear box is a revelation compared to the Focus ST. I really love the look of the new model (ordered it in white with front fog lamps as an extra). The ride was smooth, secure and comfortable (my test drive was in absolutely pouring rain and very high winds). I was told not to “thrash” the car as the PDI checks had not been done, but the pick-up was more than a match for the Focus ST. I had previously test drove (last month) an Audi S3 and a Seat Leon Cupra. The STi felt and looks in a different league from these two cars. I was most disappointed in the S3, it felt claustrophobic inside, performance was not outstanding and it was pricy. Maybe I was expecting too much from the S3. The interior of the Cupra was a lot worse than the STi (even the back of the front seats is hard plastic coated) and the STi is getting bad press for the interior! My only other choice was the new face lifted Focus ST when it comes out, but when I test drove the Subaru I knew there was going to be no contest.

PS. I was working against time. The new STi’s were selling out fast. Not many dealers in Scotland and others were telling me they had sold their entire initial quota. I had waited on a test drive, this only became available from last Tuesday, and other customers had not waited. I have never owned a Subaru before. I can only hope that the new model is not such a departure from previous incarnations, for the sake of the people who ordered without a test drive. I was more than happy to fork out my cash after my first meeting with the new STi. I’ll tell everyone if I am still as happy after a couple of weeks of running the car. (Collect it next Saturday).
Thanks for the info and explanation John. Interesting to get an unbiased point of view.
Old 23 February 2008, 03:38 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bluenose172
"Not many dealers in Scotland and others were telling me they had sold their entire initial quota"

How many times have you heard that, lol! Quick get in, pay full list price before they all dissappear!

Don’t quite get that one bluenose. Why would two dealers turn me away, by telling me they don’t have a car to sell me? (One could arrange a test drive after 1st March – but no telling when next quota will be available) Then I drive half way across the country and buy one from a completely different dealer. How many times have you heard that one then?
Old 23 February 2008, 04:03 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Containers
Ferries on the other hand.....

Tony
Subaru not use car compounds then?
Old 23 February 2008, 04:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Talking

Subaru not use car compounds then?
Yes like everyone else, but they dont put much fuel in the cars, ie about as much to get it out of the container to the compound, normally about 50ft, but its not like the "good old days" where you saw those nice french drivers running for the 205 1.9 GTi's at calais and ragging them onto the ferries, there are more "restrictions" in place to stop that happening (mainly the option of losing your job ).

Tony
Old 23 February 2008, 05:56 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Have you seen the loading of a car transporter on tv? there's not enough room to get out of 1st, let alone start special staging it!

p.s. found this whilst looking for photos,
Old 23 February 2008, 07:11 PM
fat_boy
Scooby Regular

im just having my scooby engine rebuilt and i have been told not to go over bout 4k for 1000 miles, once i done 1000 miles take it back for a new oil filter and oil change,because they use a diff oil to lube the components etc.
the chap said i would then be able to gradually wind it up

Quick Reply: Running in brand new WRX STi