Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B4stards!
Old 03 January 2001, 12:27 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Angry

I don't think I should speak my mind on this one! Strange how I wanted to do these track this year
Old 03 January 2001, 12:29 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Agreed!
Old 03 January 2001, 12:31 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Cheers! Finally get a good job back home and this happens!!
Old 03 January 2001, 12:55 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Red face

What a load of cr*p. Whole thing stinks. Good luck to RMA I hope they are successful with their complaint.

Chris
Old 03 January 2001, 12:58 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

What a surprise - so we can make you pay for one of our crappy old cars to drive round in instead of your own.....
Old 03 January 2001, 01:09 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Is that horribly ugly bird still the problem (just being abusive really )
Old 03 January 2001, 01:09 PM
ChrisB

Angry

That sucks.

Does it affect the SIDC already booked for January? I presume SIDC is classed under the smaller or one-make clubs comment?

[Edit - I've e-mailed Evo Mag and posted on their forums about this]

Chris.

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 03 January 2001).]
Old 03 January 2001, 01:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Russ
She sold out - but not sure if she cleared out.
Old 03 January 2001, 01:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

She got moved out (corporate shenanigens) but took loadsa cash. I thought she actually did a good job. I think the present owners owe more to accountants than entrepreneurs.

BTW

Should we (SIDC types) be slightly circumspect in what we post here?

From past experience, it is obvious that Prodrive & IM monitor the board. Silverstone saw enough to make announcements/changes to their structure for RSOC day. Not beyond the bounds that BHLG might monitor this...
Old 03 January 2001, 01:55 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bollox to all this! there are enough of us Track lovers on here so lets find an Airfield or old track to buy!!! Then no more of this stupidity from these Orgs! Im more than happy to get the ball rolling as I know of a couple of Airfields that have been up fro sale for a while.
Old 03 January 2001, 01:58 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Angry

This does not make me happy. Grrr
Old 03 January 2001, 02:18 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Angry

what a bunch of Rssss
Old 03 January 2001, 02:21 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Uh Oh. Harj wants to buy a race circuit.

Thats pretty pap but that said are we gonna take it lying down. NOPE

Old 03 January 2001, 02:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Angry

WHAT!!!!

I'd heard somewhere about this. Does this mean no more SIDC trackdays at Brands? If so then bugger, big time. Brands is my local track and I really did kick myself for not doing the last SIDC track day there, I'm now going to kick myself even harder if I can't get on track.

Just boils down to them wanting more money.
I for one don't want to pay their ridiculous prices for on-track days, or whatever they are called. And there is no way I'm joining the paddock club, as I've not got a few grand spare.

Old 03 January 2001, 02:39 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Markus

It does NOT mean that SIDC & LTR etc can never get on track with BHLG. In fact, it is our clubs who will be the only ones able to do so, by organising it with BHLG direct. Like SIDC did at Brands in October & have done for Oulton Park at the end of the month.

It DOES mean that potential choice & timings may be limited as independant organisers can't arrange their own track days to suit their members/participants. That may affect some of us too (who go on these trackdays).

It may also be the thin end of the wedge, leading to no private (road) cars on racetracks for trackdays

However, I feel that a suitably pragmatic descision will be accomodated by BHLG & others, as there are more of us cheaper (non-Ferrari owning types) track enthusiasts, which will fill empty days, than there are the richer bretheren.

IMHO
Old 03 January 2001, 02:40 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Either we do our own thing or its more regular trips to the Ring as of next month! A can see the Ring being my second home now.
Old 03 January 2001, 02:43 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Second of like 20 in the UK.

Yep, just means we organise trips to Nikki Laudas graced turf this year. Sounds good to me.

R
Old 03 January 2001, 03:03 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

At the moment this does not affect the SIDC.

BHLG have contacted both Stef and myself about availability of track days at Brands and all other BHLG circuits.

I am concerned about this and feel that RMA, Goldtrack and the other main players will have a good case. The situation is made worse by BHLG now having Silverstone for 15 years too.

That said, it may actually play into our hands. Last year it became almost impossible to book any track time, anywhere, due to the sheer quantity of track day companies buying up dates. This had a further undesirable effect that what dates were available, were very expensive. Simple supply and demand.

It may be that we have more dates available, I just hope that BHLG recognise the SIDC's policy of doing these days at cost and do not hike up the circuit fees for what dates are available.

Track days are the breading ground for future racers and without good, cheap access then British racing will suffer.

Old 03 January 2001, 03:11 PM
Renrag
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I indend to do about a dozen track days this year - only done one previously and can't wait to go again. By the sounds of it you guys have loads more knowledge and experience so what's wrong with Harj's idea?
I'll spend close on £2000 for tyres, insurance, membership and the events just for this year.
Count me in Harj
Old 03 January 2001, 03:24 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

As Pete has said, I don't think SIDC events will be affected as we are a non-profit making organisation. The circuits are just fed up with private track day companies maikng a mint when they could do it themselves.
I guess we'll find out soon enough....

Stef.
Old 03 January 2001, 04:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Puff, Pete and Stef
Thanks for explaining things.
Old 03 January 2001, 05:11 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

BHLG did the same thing a few years back to Club motorcycle racing at Snetterton. Newmarket Motorcycle club who had raced there for years were refused any decent dates and the rent went up horrendously.

Newmarket Motorcycle club no longer organise club events!
Old 03 January 2001, 05:14 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Crikey

Didn't know Newmarket had a m'cycle club

There's a big Harley dealership, but they're not really bikes, just motorised horses
Old 03 January 2001, 05:52 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I am a member of On-Track and never used them in 2000 due to overpriced events.

I have been informed by a reliable source that if this happens 2002 will rule out clubs using BHLG Tracks.

I have canceled my membership. They will price most people off the big Tracks and start charging larger membership fees.

I think we should all support RMA and stand up for our driving rights, as it is impossible to use our cars on the roads to ther full potential.

There is enough people on the board and through the Track events i been to create a thorn in the *** for BHLG.

from a rather hacked regular track day user

Harj airfield thing sounds good.

Old 03 January 2001, 08:13 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
This is a tricky one to comment on right now. It was actually anounced before Xmass that the large track clubs were filing a case against BHL with the Office of Fair Trading.

Personally, i never liked Nicola Foulston, i wont say why because i would be suid for liable

I think it was inevitable that this was going to happen when Octogen bought the BHL Group. I dont believe there is any need to panic, Octogen are a business, they need the income from track events to pay for the circuits running and keep them profitable.

I believe the deal between BHL and the BRDC at Silverstone is a huge benefit to UK motorsport, i don't believe it will be detrimental to you or I.

Most of the large track clubs actually charge a very high rate for there track days, the best value for money i see is actually when the track organises the day themselves.

As an example, Donington usually costs around £100 on one of there trackzone days, i have attended similar days at dono run by a 3rd party that has cost well in excess of this.

At the end of the day we live in a capitalist society, the cost for track days will be set based on a realistic level to get the attendance required to make the event run, its simple economics.

Non of us have a right to use these circuits, they are a business, whether we like that or not.

Please remember the RMA has its own agenda and profits to make, the letter was by the MD of the company, it's a business, nothing is as black and white as the good guys and the bad guys.

Of course it is of concern to everyone who attends track days to actually know what the real facts are, i dont believe ranting before the facts are available is very constructive.

Don't underestimate what's required to run a racing circuit, it costs millions to do it corectly and safely. Change is a scary thing, but thats the nature of our society, too early to start a war i think.

See you guys at dono and oulton, then its onto Canada then the ring, 2001 will still be a great year on track, i am sure of that.
Old 03 January 2001, 08:19 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!:
<B>Crikey

Didn't know Newmarket had a m'cycle club

There's a big Harley dealership, but they're not really bikes, just motorised horses [/quote]

James
I used to ride out for a couple of the yards in Newmarket - believe me, the motorised ones are a lot less dangerous than the real horses.....!!