Sponsored by:

A Scooby is not easy to steal

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2001, 01:15 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

During Christmas someone tried to steal my Scooby MY99. It was parked on the street for 2 hours - 2-4 PM in Paris-France.
Right door lock destroyed with a screwdriver. Injection lock and everything around it is broken. I assume they have been two people, as the second person has tried to short the ECU,placed under the carpet. All projective covers and the ECU it self was unscrewed.
They gave up when the steering wheel shaft broke. Without Steering wheel - you will not have much fun. My thanks to Subaru for not having a stronger steering shaft.
When I get my car back from the garages, I will make sure that it will be more difficult to get access to the ECU. Lock nuts or special nuts that are difficult to remove.
Another preventive task will be to mount a hidden main switch ( Racecar type)I will bypass the switch for the supply to the clock and the Radio/CD.
Question is, will I get problems with the ECU if it reset every night ?
All good ideas are welcome

What a way to start the new year ! Lars
Old 03 January 2001, 01:23 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear that Lars.
Not sure about your questions but wanted to say bad luck mate.
Hope you get it sorted out sooner!
Jon
Old 03 January 2001, 01:29 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Not sure about this, but I don't think you're supposed to keep resetting the ECU.

As I understand it, (and I could be wrong!) a newly reset ECU will advance the ignition until it senses det, then will retard the ignition slightly from this point thus setting your engine map.

If you reset your ECU every night, then the ECU will, presumably, undergo this procedure on a daily basis.

The result of this is that you will be asking your car to find, by trial and error, the 'safe map boundaries' every time you run your car.

Surely not a good idea.

No doubt the experts will correct me if I've got it wrong.

Rich
Old 03 January 2001, 01:35 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Wouldn't a hidden switch to the fuel pump make more sense??
Old 03 January 2001, 01:47 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just get a Barrier deadlock or a steering wheel disclock.

Job done.

BTW if they get past that then it's on a truck to somewhere hot and you'll never have stopped 'em.

F
Old 03 January 2001, 01:53 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Lars,
Don't really know if it will hurt the ECU, but my understanding is that it will find settings that suit your driving style. (Most people give the car a fast run after a reset to get best performance.) Could be a pain if you live in a city where you don't get above 3000 RPM for the first 10 miles every day. Another good preventative is to get a really loud self-powered siren fitted somewhere inside the dash. Anything above 120 dB works well, but if you can get one above 130 you are on a winner. Even a nut case with a sledge hammer will take a couple of minutes to find and disable this. If you want to get the general effect of how this works, take your car to a garage/multi storey or any other confined space, open your bonnet, stand in front of the engine bay and set off your alarm. Now stand there for 2 minutes.... Hurts doesn't it. I have a 125 dB siren fitted inside the car which becomes unbearble after 4 or 5 seconds. Hopefully any scumbag who tries to nick my car won't hang around long enough to do much more damage once their ear-drums have burst.

Good luck anyway
Old 03 January 2001, 02:08 PM
GP
Scooby Regular

fit a battery cut off switch in parallel with a 10 amp fuse or circuit breaker - then you can effectively electrically immobilise the car - if the oiks get the starter to turn over, pow! - no power.. and you don't have to worry about important systems resetting.
Old 03 January 2001, 03:28 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks, The suggestion with the fuse is exactly what I need. And I think I will add the 100 DB sirene.

Thanks for advise

Old 03 January 2001, 09:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Question

Lars

Whay not remove the locks and fill the holes with Scooby blanking plates (if they are available). It wont stop someone smashingthe window but will put off most opportunists.