Sponsored by:

Number plate rules?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 05:20 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Number plate rules?

Got stopped and fined £30 by the police at the weekend for supposedly having an 'illegal number plate'. To clarify my number plate is in the format A12BCD instead of A12 BCD i.e. no space in the middle.

This doesn't in any way distort the numbers or letters, its quite clear what the reg is, there's no messing around turning numbers into letters, or funny writing, i mean i've had this plate on my car in the same format for 8 years and never been stopped for it.

First of all id like to congratulate the officer in question, thank god he got to me before i commited a serious crime or seriously injured someone with my illegal numberplate. I mean what a useless jobsworth pr*ck, i can't believe police time is wasted on such trivial matters, its clearly just for a bit of money and meetin targets.

More importantly though he said that if i didn't change it back to the stanard format with the space in the middle and i got caught again that the number plate would be confiscated from me? I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is right or if he was just trying to scare me?

A friend reckons its a case of 3 times caught and they can confiscate it, in which case im prepared to risk it, as on the basis of the last 8 years i should be good for another 16 unless this chump chooses to target me now. Otherwise i'll prob just end up selling it as its just not the same effect if its spaced three and three cos its meant to be one word, and its not worth losing the money on getting it confiscated.

Any advice welcomed.
Old 21 February 2008, 05:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VOSA corporate website

should find all the info you need on there

Tony
Old 21 February 2008, 05:49 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

I got pulled by an ANPR car in Plymouth and got a £30 fine too. I was told i had 2 weeks grace to get the standard one on or it would then be confiscated and i would be off to court. In the space of 3 days i was pulled over 2 more times. Told them i was waiting for my plates and they left me be. I could well have been pulling a fast one although this time it was the truth.

Although my plates were clearly visable they were non standard fonts etc so i knew that if i was pulled there would be consequences. I know for a fact they were targetting specific cars because - aside from inside knowledge - they were more than happy to let people carriers etc drive on by with blatantantly crap number plates with screws in letters to change the reg!!!

But yeah it seems like the confiscation threat is real.
Old 21 February 2008, 06:03 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

no space makes it illegal simple as that
Old 21 February 2008, 10:14 PM
S7EVY
Scooby Regular

Think the bobby must have had a bad day, usually they tend to pull drivers with multiple stud plates, fancy lettering and Scooby doo in the background kinda thing......mine is a standard no plate btw
Old 21 February 2008, 10:21 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

This is what has been happening recently & why :-

Police clamp down on illegal plates

Police in most regions are taking part in a national campaign to crack down on the use of illegal number plates on vehicles.Officers are on the lookout for registration plates that are not displayed properly and to reinforce the message that they are not fashion accessories.

The aims of the campaign, which was launched on Monday, are to detect and report any offences, identify links between the use of misrepresented registrations mark and criminality and to collate information to establish the extent of misrepresentation of registration marks.

Drivers who are found to have illegal number plates will be stopped by officers and could receive a £30 fixed penalty notice or an appearance in court with a fine of up to £1000.

The DVLA will also be informed and in some cases the number plate will be withdrawn and vehicles with illegal number plates can also fail an MoT test.

Practices such as using marker pen, paint, tape or strategically placing bolts are often used to make a plate spell a name or a word and, while it might appear harmless, this practice does in fact pose a serious road safety threat.

Some vehicle keepers will mis-space or mis-represent registration marks to avoid detection and is it these people officers hope to track down.

Police spokesperson said: “Driving with illegal number plates is not something that should be taken lightly. Motorists can be fined up to £1,000 for displaying an illegal number plate.

“The main aim of this operation is to educate people on what makes a number plate illegal, as well as denying criminals the use of the road, and to keep other road users safe. The purpose of a registration plate is to identify a vehicle; it is not a fashion accessory.”

“Vehicle owners need to be aware that if their vehicle registration mark has been misrepresented deliberately, DVLA will consider revocation of the registration mark.”

DVLA maintains a register of number plate suppliers and the register is available to view on the Internet at www.gov.uk/motoring

Anyone who is concerned that their vehicle number plates may not adhere to the regulations can visit DVLA’s website or contact DVLA at www.dvla.gov.uk/rnps or call DVLA on 0870 600 1016.

The squeal from the recently fined of "Haven't they got anything better to do?" doesn't get my sympathy.

If my car was nicked & the number plate checkers on the Dartford crossing spotted it as being on the "stolen" register & intercepted it. I would be well chuffed that they were doing their "job". They would have stopped it getting into Kent & maybe onto the ferry to disappear forever somewhere in Europe.

If I had just been fined because my number plate was iffy & I was "bending" the rules then I wouldn't be happy but then again it would be no good crying over spilt milk as it was obviously a chance I was prepared to take.

You take the chance you have to take the consequences. Simple as.

And I would just love to wear these on the road. But I can't so I don't. Show use only.

Mark
Old 21 February 2008, 10:21 PM
Speech
Scooby Regular

Your numberplate is illegal.
If he is a traffic cop or has been sent out on traffic duties, guess what - he's looking for people who are infringing traffic laws, which you were doing.

If it is a personal/cherished plate then yes, they can report you to the DVLA and have the plate removed from you, not sure about the 3 strikes thing though as I've never heard of that.

But I'd imagine the reason behind wanting your plate to be legal will be to do with ANPR and other plate recognition cameras.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:24 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

how big does the plate on the frount of your car have to be? looking at the wrc cars on tv and theres are tiny. they drive on the roads like that
Old 21 February 2008, 10:36 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by powerwrx
how big does the plate on the frount of your car have to be? looking at the wrc cars on tv and theres are tiny. they drive on the roads like that
Size of plates can be found here :-

Number plates Fitting

Rally drivers are not exempt from the rules of the road. Only when they are on the "closed" sections. As a certain Mr Loeb found to his cost.

Mark
Old 21 February 2008, 10:38 PM
scoobyfirst
Scooby Regular

The copper that pulled me over and warned me somehow kept on coincidentally being in the same vicinity as myself a number of times.I think once they've marked your card they will keep on your case until you change it back (like i had to). I just didn't want to take the risk of losing it and shelling out the money for the fines.
Old 21 February 2008, 11:18 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

You admit your plate is wrong and then moan the police aren't out there catching criminals. Well, they are - they caught you.

Stop moaning, change your plate (or lose it) and get over it.

Get a Grip says "get a grip"
Old 21 February 2008, 11:26 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is it supposed to say ?
Old 22 February 2008, 06:39 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Get A Grip
You admit your plate is wrong and then moan the police aren't out there catching criminals. Well, they are - they caught you.

Stop moaning, change your plate (or lose it) and get over it.

Get a Grip says "get a grip"
Errrrr, it's not a criminal offence.

But, I'd change it as the plod will be looking out for you. Sell it and put the money to some nice mods.
Old 22 February 2008, 08:54 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
The purpose of a registration plate is to identify a vehicle; it is not a fashion accessory.”
Which is why the DVLA are happy to make millions each year auctioning off particular plates... because they're not fashion accessories and purely to identify the vehicle. Nothing like a good little bit of bureaucratic hypocrisy when they see the chance to make a quick buck huh? I know your just quoting what they've said Mark, so this isn't a go at you!

Not saying that misrepresenting number plates is the right thing to do - but it would be nice to see police pulling the ever increasing numbers of f***tards who drive around with faulty headlights and fog lights on all the time who are an actual hazard on the road.
Old 22 February 2008, 09:31 AM
Speech
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Errrrr, it's not a criminal offence.
Sorry mate, but it is.
Below is taken directly from the DVLA form V796 - Display of Registration Marks for Motor Vehicles;

Originally Posted by DVLA Form V796
Offences
It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words or in such a way that makes it difficult to read the registration number. Characters must not be moved from one block to the other e.g. AB51 DVL must not be displayed as AB5 1DVL or AB 51DVL. Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may FAIL the MoT test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn.
Old 22 February 2008, 09:57 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Im quite aware, that technically by the letter of the law I'm in the wrong here but I don't care what anyone says i still think its f*cking b0llocks. I queried the officer as to what possible harm i was doing with this number plate, he said oh well our machines might not quite be able to read it aswell. So i said well can they still read it or not, he said yes as i hadn't altered the font or any letters/numbers.

Oh and as for the comment about id be pleased if the police picked it up when it was stolen, well it has been stolen and the police were as useless as i've come to expect from them.

I still stand by my haven't they got anything better to do comment as i really think there are a million better things than this to do!

Thanks for the information provided though, i'm guessing that changing the plates will be my only option, which im really pi$$ed off about

Last edited by Joek101; 22 February 2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:48 AM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Not saying that misrepresenting number plates is the right thing to do - but it would be nice to see police pulling the ever increasing numbers of f***tards who drive around with faulty headlights and fog lights on all the time who are an actual hazard on the road.
Spot on there mate. Guess certain cars/drivers are easy money for police. Why persue a difficult - time consuming crime when theres ones given to police on a plate (no pun intended).

Nanny state and it will get worse

Wolfie.
Old 22 February 2008, 01:22 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think what the man is saying is that his perception is of the Police excercising a disproportionate amount of time and effort into 'petty' offences, when there are far more serious crimes being committed every minute in this country, (my definition of petty offences is where no one get hurt, stabbed, robbed, or loses a member of their family as a result of the 'crime').

But very sadly, this is Britain today, a nation lost for clear cut positive direction, everyone trying to blame everyone, the man with an illegal numberplate gets fined £30, and the other man who burgles a house can escape a fine with a good solicitor, (usually legal aid at the taxpayers expense).

That is why our friend is upset, and rightly so.
Old 22 February 2008, 09:42 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Prasius
. . . . I know your just quoting what they've said Mark, so this isn't a go at you!
No offence taken mate.

Mark
Old 22 February 2008, 10:48 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

You know what the rules are.
You broke them.
You got caught.
Get over it.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:59 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Curious about this as well as there isn't any readily available info. Agree with many, stick to standard plates, we know the plod won't budge so may as well try not to aggrevate the situation any further.

I have standard legal plates (I think), they have a GB flag on the left and normal lettering + correct spaces etc and also name of the garage that imported my car into the UK at the bottom.

My front number managed to crack in two places when the body shop tried to take it off to repair my bumper.

Got a local garage to replace them however noticed the plates don't have details of the import garage. My mate reckons the plate is invalid without those details and the compnay that made the plates should have put their details there.. is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Old 22 February 2008, 11:00 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Just wait till your local council tell their CCTV ops to target "bouys" with fancy plates....
Sadly you got busted, end of story.
Agree about "proper" criminals tho'

DC
Old 22 February 2008, 11:03 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

just thought i would add to this as i have had a tiny plate on my scoob since oct and not once had any trouble from the police. every one of my friends who have different fonts, writing, logos etc on their plates have all been pulled. i think its more down to luck than anything, if its a policeman in a bad mood then ur gunna get as much as he can give
Old 28 October 2008, 07:57 AM
vemimeesque
Scooby Newbie

Default Glycemil

hello
Buy Online Glycemil 60 caps - Glycemil - New york, Michigan Glycemil
usd2878 uhyu 4
<a href="http://www.coroflot.com/Glycemil">Glycemil</a>
vchuds y77n mi ???
Glycemil
ok