Sponsored by:

Lets Hear Your VTA's....

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2008, 06:29 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets Hear Your VTA's....

Post up sound clips/videos of your VTA valves??

Got to say that my favourite so far is the HKS SSQV.

I imagine this has been asked over a million times but short and simple, do you need a remap after fitting a VTA? Impreza is a MY07 STi, am contemplating a HKS SSQV so far unless someone can provide me with a clip to change my mind.

Also just checking on eBay, are both of these the correct fitment for my Impreza:

BRAND NEW SUBARU IMPREZA SSQV HKS DUMP VALVE 2007 on eBay, also Engine Tuning Parts, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 16-Feb-08 16:19:05 GMT)

Subaru Impreza HKS SSQV Dump valve Newage Blitz exhaust on eBay, also Other Performance Parts, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 18-Feb-08 22:56:56 GMT)

Cheers

G

Last edited by magicgreg; 12 February 2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12 February 2008, 06:31 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

A good read

To Bov Or Not To Bov - Subaru Impreza Drivers Club

5t.
Old 12 February 2008, 06:38 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You grow tired of the noise. I remember, even being a kid, finding myself changing gears really low down with minimal throttle in built up areas or near people because of the embarrasing PITUUUUUUUUUSSSSHHH noise.

You searched on youtube?
Old 12 February 2008, 06:53 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Searched youtube and the sound clips are not the best, the SSQV didn't sound mentally loud and sounded quite different, not the extremely loud PITUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH that I'm also not a fan of.

Thanks for the replies.

G
Old 12 February 2008, 06:57 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

You are best keeping the re-circ one on that comes standard.
Old 12 February 2008, 07:01 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Aye, just looking into things at the moment mate.

G
Old 12 February 2008, 08:14 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

I have a nasty Blitz thing...it sounds real chavvy....

I want that waste gate chirrup.....
Old 13 February 2008, 12:11 AM
BigBez
Scooby Regular

each to their own

i have a bailey dv26 sounds ok not to loud or low

the ssqv sounds good with the wooosh and bird twitter all in one cept the price

external wastegate

and some say keep your recirc the debate goes on forever of course, in truth theres neither a right or wrong answer, you go with what you want.
Old 13 February 2008, 09:26 AM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

the only one I`ve got has the antilag on it too

the dumpvalve is a turbosmart megasonic

Video of scoob - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 13 February 2008, 05:53 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i have a bailey but i dont like it as its to chirpy . i had a forge before and it sounded good .

not to loud and was more woooshy lol
Old 13 February 2008, 06:03 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies
Old 14 February 2008, 09:25 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

The main thing that I was trying to get at was safety levels, basically is it safe to install a HKS SSQV to MY07 STi without having it remapped??

G
Old 14 February 2008, 09:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Is this what ScoobyNet has come to then?
Old 14 February 2008, 09:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

What exactly do you think that a stupid noise-making VTA air bypass valve will actually do? A remap? Really? You are misguided. All it will do is make a puerile noise which will show you up and f*ck up your fuelling.
Old 14 February 2008, 10:05 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Flip the coin - if you asked some questions about physiology or kinesiology or any of the other subjects that I have an indepth knowledge of then I will ridicule your response or questions.

End of the day I don't really know what the consequences are of installing such an item, therefore I have posted on here in the hope of getting some sensible informed answers, surely this is the best idea instead of just bunging it on and hoping for the best.

There are tons of alterations and modifications that I personally wouldn't do such as stickering my scooby up and having decals all over the place but each to their own, horses for corses and all that.

What I don't do is come on here and type in aimless responses basically ridiculing someone who doesn't know all of the information about a product that he would like to. Surely this is the point that forums are based upon....

Is this what Scoobynet has come to?

BTW if you do have any legitimate info on the subject of fitting a VTA then please share.

G

Last edited by magicgreg; 14 February 2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 14 February 2008, 10:29 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

vta dumb valves are a bit like applied kinesiology..utter loblox

Blow-off Valves

''Why any driver would spend money and give this throttle response advantage in away for the sake of noise of a blow-off valve is almost funny to think about. Yet, many shops will sell you a blow-off valve with a straight face. But, now you know. This is a classic case of, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 15 February 2008, 01:12 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
vta dumb valves are a bit like applied kinesiology..utter loblox
"loblox" it may be, however, its got me a MY07 STi and all that comes with it fully paid for at 23 years old, which isn't too shabby I'd say.

As for the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' bit, surely that would apply to remaps, change of exhaust systems and every other change made to something that isn't broken in the first place, all of those changes come down to personal preference at the end of the day, as long as they aren't of detriment to the car then all is well. This is all that I was originally asking; will fitting a VTA proove to be of detriment to the performance and reliability of my car.

It may even turn out that I don't like the HKS SSQV and switch back to the standard re-circ within the day, who knows.

G
Old 15 February 2008, 08:32 AM
wolfgang5150
Scooby Newbie

One of the reasons people buy a turboed car, especialy an impreza, is for the excitement, the noise, the harsh ride and the pig ugliness of the car (thats not a dig b4 anyone starts, I just think the scoob is a bit of an aquired taste compared with something like a vectra or a mondeo)

some people on this forum are far to quick to criticise others, and i get the feeling that they just sit there waiting to post a snide comment about someones perfectly reasonable question. If this continues, people, especialy the newer members ( like me ) will be put off from asking anything !!

For the record, I am 33 years old with a small child, a good job and a nice house on a private estate, I am not a chav !! I bought my forge dump valve before my scoob had even been delivered !! because I had wanted a turboed car with a dump valve since I was 17 years old !!

You just do what you want mate, dont worry about anyone else !!
Old 15 February 2008, 09:25 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

The fact of the matter is your Subaru was never intended to have a vta dumb valve.

The car relies upon spent air being blown back over the maf for the next fuelling charge.

Alter this cycle and you are well on the way to fooking up your throttle response causing a lumpy idle and jerky gearchanges,all caused by the over fuelling issue they induce.

They don't vent off air any quicker than what came as std and do bugger all to enhance performance.

..and as of yet I don't recall any Scoobyned Vendor joining one of these(gazillion)similiar posts and extolling the virtues of a vta on a maf equipped Impreza

but people don't like being told what they don't want to hear

re-fit your std diverter valve for just a day then and I'm absolutely positive that you'll notice an improvement?

Thankyou
Old 15 February 2008, 09:38 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

"loblox" it may be, however, its got me a MY07 STi and all that comes with it fully paid for at 23 years old, which isn't too shabby I'd say
What do you want? a Tufty badge

most people on here own their car outright,i bet yours is the soft Uk version too
Old 15 February 2008, 11:18 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
What do you want? a Tufty badge

most people on here own their car outright,i bet yours is the soft Uk version too
It was not a bragging point mate, if I wanted to do that I would have listed far more expensive things that I own, it was to suggested that what had been classed as "loblox" has served me well, simple as that.

Also I am sure that most people on this forum own their car outright and thats superb, again the "loblox" that I do has got me mine paid for in cash at 23 years of age.

All over asking what the implications of fitting a VTA were
Old 15 February 2008, 11:21 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfgang5150
some people on this forum are far to quick to criticise others, and i get the feeling that they just sit there waiting to post a snide comment about someones perfectly reasonable question. If this continues, people, especialy the newer members ( like me ) will be put off from asking anything !!

You just do what you want mate, dont worry about anyone else !!
Your spot on there mate.

You get some members that will endeavour to be helpful and are very informative and then you get some that are the opposite.

G
Old 15 February 2008, 11:25 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Implications (from my experience with one on a classic impreza already on it when imported) are

crappy idle
stalling at junctions
scaring the **** out of people 9slightly amusing )
People giving me the ****** symbol (possibly just becuase i own an impreza perhaps )
Jerky gearchanges
Poorer acceleration?
Don't think the fuel economy was as good.

changed to the standard and uit pulled much better,no stalling or lumpy idle.

I do have an ik fitted and that makes the standard recirc sound louder
Old 15 February 2008, 11:28 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Cheers myblackwrx, if this happens I will obviously be taking it off as soon as.

By IK I'm guessing thats an Induction Kit, fitting that due to increased air flow I guessing will require a remap?

Also read on many occasions on SN that its not necessary to fit an Induction Kit unless over a certain power level, over 350bhp for example?
Old 15 February 2008, 03:57 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magicgreg
Cheers myblackwrx, if this happens I will obviously be taking it off as soon as.

By IK I'm guessing thats an Induction Kit, fitting that due to increased air flow I guessing will require a remap?

Also read on many occasions on SN that its not necessary to fit an Induction Kit unless over a certain power level, over 350bhp for example?
my car is a 93wrx so a bit crude in relation to yours so for me an IK and decat doesn't affect if as much (but to get the best out of it i'll need a remap), the IK was already fitted so i just left it with yours ,yes, i wouldn't bother.

I personally wouldn't bother with a VTA as there are better things to spend your money on but it's your car so do what you want (just don't post if you have any problems after fitting one otherwise people will remind you of the advice on this thread and flame you )
Old 16 February 2008, 08:58 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by magicgreg

First point above : It will happen, no if about it. Stick with oem recirc - it makes for a better car. People have been telling you the truth above ( if in an unnecessarily harsh way sometimes) but you appear to only want to hear people saying that VTA is the way to go. If that's the case,don't post just go for it, but the car will not be as good.

Second point (IK) - correct - just fit an Sti panel filter - it flows as well as all low level induction kits up to 350ish level and doesn't let engine killing stuff through