Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luckham's gone and bought himself a MY98 Sti4!

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2008, 02:42 AM
luckham
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Luckham's gone and bought himself a MY98 Sti4!

Hi All

I'm Luckham from the GTR Forum and I'm happy to report that I've just bought myself a Silver MY98 WRX Sti4 4 Door as my daily driver and I'm absolutely loving it!

I picked it up tonight for 5 Grand and I must say considering the only mods it's got are a HKS superdragger and a lower pipe decat the thing really shifts ~ hats off to Subaru

My R32 GT-R is an absolute monster [475Bhp] [also silver] but due to it's setup [rock hard Ohlins pillowball top mounts] it's only really suitable for fast A roads, motorway or track.

The Skyline is a fantastic piece of machinery and scares the living daylights out of everyone that gets in it, but considering I've spent 4 times the price of the Scoob on it, bang for buck the Scooby wins hands down..

I must say the capabilities of the Sti on B roads are nothing short of breath taking [speed restrictions permitting of course!]

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the stupid looking WRX sticker plastered on the middle of the boot!

I've heard a hairdryer or heat gun might do it, but I'm slightly concerned it might have lacquer over it & then I’ll need a re-spray..

Any advice on telling me how to remove it would be appreciated.

Cheers People.

Peace..

Last edited by luckham; 08 February 2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08 February 2008, 02:58 AM
scoobyjac
Scooby Regular

i did remove a complete sticker set once with a hairdryer, but when i got to the rear badge some t@@t had glued it on so be careful in that area. I would just live with it rather than messing, a boot lid respray in silver is ££££££s ..P.S. I also bought a 98 wrx this week for £2???
jim
Old 08 February 2008, 03:29 AM
luckham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyjac
i did remove a complete sticker set once with a hairdryer, but when i got to the rear badge some t@@t had glued it on so be careful in that area. I would just live with it rather than messing, a boot lid respray in silver is ££££££s ..P.S. I also bought a 98 wrx this week for £2???
jim
It's got to come off! Regardless..

So you bought yours for £2! It must be a minter..
Old 08 February 2008, 06:57 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Use a hair dryer, took me about 5 minutes to remove it with an old credit card. Just apply heat on the corner and start working it off gently (apply heat underneath), should peel right off.
Old 08 February 2008, 03:38 PM
luckham
Scooby Regular

I've just been advised by a bodyshop that it's got lacquer over it and therefore will need to be re-sprayed - ****!

I was quoted £150 to do this..

Apart from that the car's excellent though, went driving in it last night until 3am, then got up at 9 and drove it some more
Old 09 February 2008, 01:05 AM
luckham
Scooby Regular

I've owned her [the Sti] for a full day now and due to the perfect weather I've spent most of the day driving her and getting to know and understand it's capabilites more.

The thing that's making me smile the most is her ability to resist the effects of bad road surfaces. I can drive at speed over terrain that I could only dream of in the GTR, but then ultimatly I guess that's the main difference between a GT car like the Skyline and a rally car like the Sti.

Ones an A-Road/Motorway/Fast Track Killer and the others a B-Road/Dirt Track/Rally Stage Dominator.

The road conditions where I live are poor at best [like most of the courtry I would guess!] and when I drive the Skyline I actually plan my route to avoid bad road surfaces, whereas with the Impretza I am actively seeking out bad terrain just to test her!

On the modification front I don't plan to do very much [as it's my daily driver] but there are a number of area's that need definite attention.

Immediate mods:

Remove that poxy WRX sticker [at any cost!]
K&N 57i
Wheel colour change to silver or graphite [as the current colour is a really dull dark gold and I don't like it]
Replace the w4nky black and red RIPSPEED mats with Dark Grey Sti logo [Pink] Mats
Replace LED sidelights with normal bulbs.

Mods in the pipe line:

Top pipe de-cat.
Oil pressure gauge.
Put front fogs back in [undecided on this!]

Cheers People.

Last edited by luckham; 09 February 2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09 February 2008, 01:15 AM
Hepy
Scooby Regular

Post some pics.
Old 09 February 2008, 08:20 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

All you need to remove the sticker, is a stanly knife and a steady hand. Just lift up one end with the stanly knife, then gently pull the sticker away from the body. Job done.

May need a quick t-cut over the area to blend the paint back again, but it cetainly won't need a respray.
Old 09 February 2008, 09:23 AM
luckham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hepy
Post some pics.
Pics will follow shortly

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
All you need to remove the sticker, is a stanly knife and a steady hand. Just lift up one end with the stanly knife, then gently pull the sticker away from the body. Job done.

May need a quick t-cut over the area to blend the paint back again, but it certainly won't need a respray.
Hi Chris, as stated in my previous post, I've been told by a bodyshop that it's had clear lacquer sprayed over the top of the damned thing [God knows why though.] ~ I'm going to get a second opinion on this today just to make sure that the bodyshop not just trying to make a fast buck out of me!

The plan for today is to remove the Dump to Atmosphere Valve [BOV] and re-fit the Recirc valve instead as BOV's do bugger all at standard boost levels apart from making that annoying slightly chavvy whoosh sound / leaking when the spring weakens / and confusing the management system as to how much air there is in the system.

Oh and I'm also going to replace the ridiculous LED side lights which are also chavstatic

It appears that some people don't have a clue regarding styling enhancements, when I first picked the car up it had bright red Sparco seatbelt covers fitted ~ Nice!

Last edited by luckham; 09 February 2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09 February 2008, 09:40 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So luckham, evo or scooby for a rallycar what's you choice.

Welcome to the madhouse, how does the gtr compare?
Old 09 February 2008, 09:52 AM
luckham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
So luckham, evo or scooby for a rallycar what's you choice.

Welcome to the madhouse
Hi Hux - thanks for the welcome mate! Have you been reading my linked thread on the other marques section of the GTR forum by any chance?!?

how does the gtr compare?
If you read the whole of this thread it'll show you my initial impressions of the comparision between the two vehicles

I'd be really interested to know if any other members on here also own a Skyline and a Scooby, as I think they are a really good combination seeing as the two cars are so wildly different.
Old 09 February 2008, 10:30 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking generally, std vs std, im thinking the skyline in a straight line would dominate most things but throw in a few sharp corners and things change?

I suppose with it being so big would make you think twice before gunning it, similar with an old 309 i had, in the twisties amazing, but on the straights the scooby would nail it and then some.

I did think of getting an r32/33 but plumped for the scoob as she came up at the right time.

Last edited by hux309; 09 February 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11 February 2008, 09:43 AM
luckham
Scooby Regular

I was thinking generally, std vs std, im thinking the skyline in a straight line would dominate most things but throw in a few sharp corners and things change?

I suppose with it being so big would make you think twice before gunning it, similar with an old 309 i had, in the twisties amazing, but on the straights the scooby would nail it and then some.

I did think of getting an r32/33 but plumped for the scoob as she came up at the right time.
Hi Hux, I can't give a comparison of std vs std as my R32 GTR is running 475bhp. I would imagine however that seeing as though both the STi and the GTR in standard form are around the 285 mark, that the STi would be quicker in a straight line than the std skyline.

As far as cornering goes the R32 GTR eats the My98 STi for breakfast [even on tight corners] provided that the manoeuvre is performed on good quality tarmac. As soon as the road conditions deterioate and pot holes/major undulations come into play the skyline falls flat on it's face and the Sti comes into it's own.

Please note that the BNR32 is not that big in comparison to the STi, it's quite a bit heavier [1400kg] but the wheel base is pretty similar, the R32 is the lightest of all of the GTR's as the breed became progressively heavier with each subsequent iteration.

Oh and lastly I wouldn't draw any comparisons between these cars and a Peugeot 309 lol!!

Last edited by luckham; 12 February 2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12 February 2008, 03:32 PM
luckham
Scooby Regular

Hi All

Has nobody else on here got experience of owning both a GTR and a STi?

If so I would like to talk to you..!

Last edited by luckham; 12 February 2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 13 February 2008, 01:30 PM
luckham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100

May need a quick t-cut over the area to blend the paint back again, but it cetainly won't need a respray.
Hi Chris, Unfortuatly it does need a respray after taking the sticker off because for some reason someone has sprayed laquer over the top of it, and now the sticker is removed there is a visible laquer line where it used to be.. Oh well, apart from that the car is in amazing condition so I can't complain really.