Sponsored by:

Upgrades declared for insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2000, 01:12 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Slightly wrong forum but I need a few ideas please.

Right I need to declare all the upgrades on my car as my insurance is up for renewal.Yes before the lecture about driving around with parts that aren't declared thus my insurance being void! I know and it is very naughty of me.

What i need to ask is when I declare the added items can I word there actual funtion to something more than ...it makes it go faster and louder!!

The items are: 17 inch MIMs, AP 4 pot kit, Eibach lowered springs, SS BB and DP and Magnex decat'd midsection. But last but not least and probally the hardest to explain is the LINK ECU upgrade.

These are on my 99 STI V5 to make matters worse.

...Ian.
Old 28 December 2000, 01:38 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

From my own experience with the insurance cos, they're interested in performance increase and visual enhancement, or rather, increased nickability factor.

My 17" gold rims and wrc spoiler changed my excess from 150 to 450 and the increase in performance of the PPP added a bit extra on the premium - they weren't interested in the prodrive driving enhancement pack.

remember if you don't declare these things and you need to claim, it'll be like climbing up a greasy pole trying to get money out of them!
Old 28 December 2000, 01:40 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

completely the wrong thread for this, but...

ooh, 300 posts! Only another 1700 odd to catch up with Sunil!

Old 28 December 2000, 02:05 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

1,737 actually

---------------------------------------------
All mods should be declared, and like tax, if you are not sure its relevant, then you should disclose it anyhow. They need to be disclosed as they factually are, i.e. as you listed them above and then let them ask you what purpose they serve/effect they have. Also get confirmation of acknowledgement from them in writing thereafter.

Re Link ECU and exhaust, well when i had my PPP, they had already categorised the whole thing (i.e. including exhaust) as "having increased engine power by up to 20%", so Link definition may be similar (depends on your insurance co). I still made sure i told them i changed the DP etc

Hope this helps.

Best person to ask is RUM

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 28 December 2000).]
Old 28 December 2000, 09:37 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

The people are right, you need to declare everything, even if you are sure it does not effect performance. Wher possible try to push most of the mods, 4 pots, suspension etc. as increased safety features.

Stuart
Old 29 December 2000, 08:04 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

But chaps how do i describe the LINK ECU upgrade?

Do I say it improves the way in which my import engine excepts lower RON UK fuel or will they see straight through that one?

....Ian
Old 29 December 2000, 08:32 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I'd use "the STi designed with 100RON fuel - link fitted to allow UK fuel safely" path.

Along with "safety upgrades to protect your investment in a cherished car"....blah, blah, blah!

I think someone used a pre-link dyno print-out from PE, and a post-link from a less enthusiastic road

A lot depends on who you end up discussing it with - good luck!

Richard
Old 30 December 2000, 11:07 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I always find the styling enhancements a bit of an oddity when it comes to insurance, and especially on an import.
The vast combinations of styling parts available from new as a dealer fit option should surely not carry an extra premium if there is no performance advantage?
If you you bought a 10 year old Honda Accord which came from the factory with their own suspension package and various spoiler and spot lamp options you probably wouldn't even realise they were there to declare.
And with imports we surely already have the loading for such "oddities" built into our considerably higher premiums already? The companies always bemoan that imports are an unknown quantity and that is why the premiums have to be higher.
I would say that Eibach springs (which are more suitable to UK roads than the standard fit items on an STi) shouldn't apply as with WRC spoilers and extra gauges. They could all be disregarded as just another Japanese option couldn't they?

Neil.
Old 30 December 2000, 03:26 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good point Neil, hadn't thought of that - it's not like you have to declare which options you've chosen with your new focus, like alloy wheels. If I add something which comes as standard on some of the imports, I might not bother declaring it - my local import garage didn't believe my car was standard as it was (it was new, and matches the jap website) so I don't think an insurance company would know anyway.
Old 30 December 2000, 10:23 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a right old chat with Kieth Michaels insurance when I renewed my premium with them last week, it was interesting as the exhaust/induction kit/ic waterspray/dump valve/alloys/spoilers dont really add a lot to the premium weighting, infact he said a Link ECU (remap)would only add 7% as it simply helps the imports run on sh.t fuel and dosent give a lot of power....but the others mods arent huge power mods. They are very clued up on all types of mods and he said it it had a superchip (etc) then it wouldnt be worth insuring. Good value too as it only went up from £915 to £975 from last year
27 yrs, 8yrs NCB, no points etc
cheers
Dan
Old 31 December 2000, 11:47 AM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Trigggaarr,

I'm not sure your car is standard if it is anything like mine. For instance Ive recently found out that I've actually got ABS and I didnt think that was normal on Jap WRXs. Could be wrong though....

PS Triggaarr, have you done anything to your car ?

bkar