Sponsored by:

Why not to buy a Scoob.

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2002, 04:15 PM
Orwella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes.

Almost 2 years ago I sold my MY99 UK Scoob. I have missed her greatly and recently decided to get another one. The thing is, values of both the old and new shape cars are tumbling. Gone are the days when I bought my car new for £21,000, kept it for 2 years and got more than £17,000 when sold. Nowadays, P1's lose £10k and new age WRX's lose £6k in year 1.

So why are Scoobs no longer wanted?

Is it -
Insurance? - I have been quoted double what I paid 2 years ago.
Too common? - I now aee or hear them all the time.
Recession? - People are just not spending.
Competition? - Honda type R's and Audi S3's etc
Image? - too many of the baseball cap brigade now own them.
Trends? - Perhaps the age of the 4wd Jap turbo car is dying. The bubble has burst.

My heart still wants one but my head says buy a sensible car.

Old 18 January 2002, 04:17 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

All of the above.
But add to it, the chances have increased of getting your car nicked or vandalised.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 1/18/2002 4:18:03 PM]
Old 18 January 2002, 04:22 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

And with the pressure on the motor trade to lower new prices and with import competition the value of s/h cars has gone through the floor.

You should see what my Terzo s/h price has done in the year I've had it

Ian
Old 18 January 2002, 04:26 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Angry

In a few months time I will be getting rid of my MY99 Sport. The two cars I seriously looked at for a replacement were the MY02 WRX and the MY02 Octavia RS.

I'm going for the RS, the main reason being my car lives on a driveway (garage is not big enough) and the WRX is just too nickable.

I'd much rather be in a position where my only worry is having to scrape the frost off in the mornings, instead of worrying about scum breaking into the house to get the keys to nick it.
Old 18 January 2002, 04:27 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Since I sold my UK94 I sleep much better at night, and don't wake up in the middle of the night when I hear something outside.

(I had the Subaru stolen at knife point in 1998 when the house was broken into, car returned within hours unmarked )
Old 18 January 2002, 04:40 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Scary, Blackscooby. Anyone else got any bad expreiences with low life? Just about to take delivery of '02 WRX 5 door. Starting to think the wife was right - "Let's get a Renault Scenic, dear...."
Old 18 January 2002, 04:48 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Orwella, are new WRX's really loosing that much in a year??

Old 18 January 2002, 04:48 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Harry,

I still wouldn't change it though.

I luve ma car

Ian
Old 18 January 2002, 04:51 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Ian - thanks for the reassurance! Depending on how we enjoy the Rex, might try a Legacy import next time. Twin turbos - Yum!!!
Old 18 January 2002, 05:00 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Boultsy,

Read an article recently on AM-Online (I think, although I can't now find it!!), saying how strong Impreza values still were - and the research had been done by CAP. However, even IM seem to be acknowledging that values ain't what they were. Just look at some of the money off their demos on the subaru.co.uk web site. Didn't used to be like that....
Old 18 January 2002, 05:01 PM
neo
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was in the same dilema not long ago after i sold my UK prodrive a year ago and got a STI 5 which blew up 6 months later so i sold that as well, So i was in the same position, I really wanted another scooby but taking into consideration of the expense my STI coost to fix a deep wound was'nt the word i looked at every option and i found that if you look hard enough you will find a reason not to buy anything, you really will even if you opt for Skoda, So i reckon you should go and get what your heart is telling is right or you will never be happy as long as you whimper over something else, Especally if your still paying for it. Me i went for the the car that stole my heart at the time which was a reliabler option than the scooby as fast and a right handfull in the wet,built like a tank and quite well sort after and luxury to boot, Yip you guessed it a BMW M3 Evo coupe with 23k on the clock fully loaded, You know what you want go for it ? and good luck with the decission Neo
Old 18 January 2002, 05:08 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

The new WRX has more performance for your pound, more usable power ie:- with grip in all conditions, is the best value performance car around with room for kids, weekend bags etc etc.
For me they are still in a class of their own, because for £21k, what else can you get brand new, that'll perform anything like the WRX, in some comfort with reliability.
Don't shout Audi A3, it's a 3 door, and has wooden handling apparently and is more expensive.
Don't shout BMW anything, cos they dont perform in the wet, it does rain here quite a lot.
Don't shout Honda Integra, two wheel drive, looks like something your granny would buy - are they 3 door, I cant remember.

Subaru are trying to appeal to a wider market with the WRX, maybe at the expense of the Scooby enthusiasts, many of whom are on the Scoobynet.
I think they are trying to retain the Scooby enthusiasts as well (not hard enough), by making more genuine Subaru accesories available, and the STI 7 will stir that market up. I think the depreciation will pan out okay long term. Depends on the mileage you do i know, but if the depreciation is too high, keep the car. S'only a problem if you sell it. Relaibilty plus demand = good residuals, the demand will eventually be created IMHO by the WRC being televised. I dont think you can ever over stae what Mr McRae did for the previous model.
Insurance, - my 01 WRX £600 Fully Comp - no worse than before.

They remain the best all round car for the money. Fuel consumtion, check out anything else with this much grunt and 4wd, it's gotta drink fuel.
A high mileage car it isn't. An investment it isn't. It's a drivers car with room for life. Enjoy it, you only live once.
Old 18 January 2002, 05:17 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Well said, Clubby!

Incidentally, who does your insurance? I've been quoted nudging £700 for self (39yo) and wife. 65%NCD.

Cheers, Harry.
Old 18 January 2002, 05:37 PM
golfturbo
Scooby Regular

For about £21000/22,000 you can have

a supercharged golf/bora 4 motion with 280bhp
Old 18 January 2002, 05:44 PM
Lunchie
Scooby Regular

I guess the answer is to buy a 1 year old car then.... , and save yourself the 6 grand or so!

Lunchie
Old 18 January 2002, 05:51 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Golfturbo,

Does Brian Ricketts still do Vee Dub tuning? Used to have a modded Polo and Mark 2 GTi 16v, and a lightly breathed on A6 Avant. BR was brilliant....
Old 18 January 2002, 06:20 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey Harry if your a member of csma you may get a good deal from frizzle. I did £461 with protection (33 and wifey)Rich
Old 18 January 2002, 07:04 PM
Orwella
Scooby Regular

As for insurance. 1998 was £451, 1999 was £620 and 2002 is £992. The last quote is based on an MY99 as were the previous 2 for the car I owned. Insurer Admiral.

At the moment I can have a nice MY99/00 for £11-13k or import a new WRX for £17-18k. I will not spend £21k on a UK car again as residuals are no longer solid (more like watching a leaky bucket). Alternatively (sensible head on) I might buy a Audi A4 or VW Golf diesel with 130/150bhp. Both will suffer less depriation and both will return 50mpg instead of 20. They even have more torque.
Old 18 January 2002, 07:17 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Rich,

Forgive my ignorance, but what's CSMA?

Cheers, Harry.
Old 18 January 2002, 07:22 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

:Rant On:
Well
I don't give ****. I got one cos I have always wanted one. Any car looses money and any sporty prestige marque car is classed as highly desirable to the car theif. If you are just going to mone and worry about second hand value etc, stick to a shopping trolley..
I bought mine cos thats what I wanted and did not give a **** about what it is or is not going to be worth in the future.
Christ would it not be a boring life going around in boring mundain no expensive vehicles that hold there value get millions of miles to the gallon. I suppose if they only did one colour and one make then all would cost the same and you moners would have nothing to MOAN about BUT WOULD YOU BE HAPPY "NO". If you don't like it don't get one. Live for now sod tomorrow
:Rant Off:

I hate whingers & Skoda's

Pete
Old 18 January 2002, 08:16 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Don't mind me I am just tidying up.
Old 18 January 2002, 08:59 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Money wise if I didnt spend it on fast cars, going out, women, gadgets and enjoying myself I would only waste it.
Old 18 January 2002, 09:03 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Peter, I`ll give you `live for today, sod tomorrow`.
Going on that assumption I CAN have my 206 then!

And you`re the one that moans about the cost otherwise you wouldn`t have taken me off the insurance would you?

Joan.

Old 18 January 2002, 09:05 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Note for Webmaster : we need a "domestics" forum
Old 18 January 2002, 10:48 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

I made all the exucuses and kidded myself when I had the car

'It's only costing me 56p per mile'
'22mpg is not that bad'
'£1200 insurance is only X more than a normal car'
'Servicing every 7.5K is not that bad'
'Once I've bought new Disks / Pads / Callipers / Suspension etc it'll be a reliable track car'

Well thats all cr@p and if your thinking it you are deffo lying to yourselves. Work out how much that car costs you every single month (esp Us guys that go out on track) and tell me if it's worth it for something that doesn't even handle very well ...

Gary

(Swapped Impreza for Diesel + Kit Car + Trailor)
Old 18 January 2002, 11:16 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

LOL @ chrisp.

The Imp is costing me more than any other car I have owned. Have a £600 service in 6 months. Need 4 new tyres, brake pads and 1 of the coil packs hiccups occasionaly. (Still have 3 years on the car loan)

But when that TD05 wakes up and slams me in the back I just grin from ear to ear. As far as I know we only live once, at the moment I can afford the car (just) and do my best to enjoy it.

Don't know why, but just recently I have had dreams at night where I am testing other cars V6's etc as a replacement for the Scoob. But at the end I just can't be with out it.

I commute to London, don't use the car every weekend - can I justify the car. NO. But who cares, it's what I want and I enjoy it. However, I can appreciate if you do mega milages a year then you may want something more frugal.

P.
Old 21 January 2002, 10:44 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Buy a sensible car.
Buy a sensible house.
Buy a sensible television.
Buy sensible clothes.
Go somewhere sensible on holiday.
Only do sensible things.

Why are cars singled out for the sensible approach?
Old 21 January 2002, 01:32 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

I hate to say it but the Rover advert is true (I don't want one)...

But I want full fat, high caffine, full flavour and fun!

I love the Scoob, I know it isn't the fastest car on the road, I know people don't like the shape (MY01).

It is the car I want and the name still raises people's eyebrows, people do it it a second glance.

Sorry but I have driven the Bora and thought it was well named.

Mark

Peter - For all our sakes give Joan the car, before she spots a more expensive one she wants more!
Old 21 January 2002, 02:19 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

weve all owned boring normal cars thats why we all went for something 'stupid' yeh it costs an arm and a leg but who gives a **** ?
Old 21 January 2002, 02:41 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Harry,

CSMA is the Civil Servants Motoring Authority.

You can join if you are or have been, and I think now if a member of your family has been a civil servant at some point. You get discounted stuff through Frizzell and Comprehensive Britania Rescue breakdown cover is 40 odd quid And loads of other bits and bobs too like a mag and other offers........

Cheers
Neil.

Quick Reply: Why not to buy a Scoob.